• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta's hardest stage: El Entrego - Alto de Farrapona

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
ETAPA%2016%20VUELTA%20ESPA%C3%91A%202014.jpg

One of the hardest stage of Vuelta's history:

Colladona (second category)
Cordal (second category)
Cobertoria (HC)
San Lorenzo (HC)
Farrapona (first category or HC)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Montero, the creator of the web I'm taking the images from, wanted to include this climb too but Unipublic didn't want because it included a bit of "sterrato".

Puerto%20de%20Trobaniello%203d.gif

happy for you guys who fought for this hard stages to happen over all the spanish forums
i still think nothing major will happen until the last 6 km of farrapona. until then farrapona is basically a false flat which will discourage any long range attack
an intxausti-bruseghin kind of attack might happen again but i don't expect any big gun to go before the last 6 km

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:

Luz Ardiden 1992 was even shorter (144km). The first 7 arrived within 1:45. The 8th arrived 5min after the stage winner, the 10th at 6:30 and the 20th at 9:20.

Andorra 1999 was also 147km. 12 guys arrived in different groups within 2 minutes. The next riders arrived (one at a time) at 3:37, 6:14, 7:44 and 8:24.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Asturiano said:
Montero, the creator of the web I'm taking the images from, wanted to include this climb too but Unipublic didn't want because it included a bit of "sterrato".

Puerto%20de%20Trobaniello%203d.gif

The problem with Trobaniello is not the sterrato; is that the connection between Trobaniello and Ventana is sterrato + downhill, even if only at 2%.

jens_attacks said:
happy for you guys who fought for this hard stages to happen over all the spanish forums
i still think nothing major will happen until the last 6 km of farrapona. until then farrapona is basically a false flat which will discourage any long range attack
an intxausti-bruseghin kind of attack might happen again but i don't expect any big gun to go before the last 6 km

It deppends the race situation, but it is a stage to give a big change in GC if someone need that and he is strong. That the important, if nothing happens no problem, but a stage like this must be in the Vuelta to give the chance.

I remember the Giro 2010, after Aquila breakaway, Basso attacking in small climbs as if were the last stage... and finally, when the Giro in his soulders, the last hard stage in domiltes. with Gavia, nothing important happens, except Vino-Sastre at the begining, and some attacks at the end...

Yes, there were reports of Froome dropping on San Lorenzo, yet he was still among the strongest on Farrapona, so either he went through a bad patch but was able to recover or perhaps he was "dropped" because he was doing something like going back to the car.

2011:
vuelta_2011_profile_stage_14.jpg

2014:
16_perfil.png

The difference is clear.

TRENDING THREADS