• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WADA the Toothless Tiger or the Unwilling Tiger?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Tramadol NOT ON THE LIST OF DOPING January 2015

Authors: Peter Janssen and Hans Strijbosch

Last year I wrote (PJ) a piece about tramadol, morphine-like analgesic for several years is widely used in the peloton. Read it after the site: http://www.endurancesupport.com. I wrote about that from my own experience as a team physician Vacansoleil in 2009, which means it was widely used. That was legally and without the risk of a positive doping test, after tramadol was not on the doping list. It struck me that the use becoming increasingly intense and the riders took it daily, even during the quiet stages in the Tour of Spain that year. And I remember the fight with the riders who did not agree with my decision during the final criterion in Madrid, nothing to write, so no tramadol. I had not previously experienced in the twenty years that I now was walking in cycling. And afterwards seems to me that the typical behavior of a junkie who wants to score his next shot.

Then I read the interview with Taylor Finney who called attention to the "gray zone" of drug use in the peloton. Which he referred to the use of resources that are not on the doping list. Analgesics (tramadol) and caffeine he especially meant. Combinations riders called kettles take swallow during the course and during the games and in the finals to go even deeper. To the pain and discomfort of the finals to better tolerated. Moreover Finney noted that the number of falls by the use of such drugs has increased alarmingly.
In addition, a cycling unusual procession riders and team doctors who do report concerns the use of tramadol. With of course the usual denials but the moral of the story of the insiders is that it is a dangerous and addictive drug that performance undoubtedly increased and increases the risk of falls. Unanimously, the opinion of these practitioners that tramadol belong on the doping list.

Furthermore, I give an article about the use of tramadol in the Gaza Strip. Since it is widely used to relieve the pain and suffering of the wretched existence there. Worth reading.

And since I make, I also tried regular tramadol in Thailand living and regularly again my bike round. That of course leads to a subjective evidence but from personal experience I dare to claim that tramadol bike performance improves.
And besides, I hear from my pharmacist that the use of tramadol in is regulated because the Thai youth used it widely in order to feel good. Usually in combination with coke or a cough or other means. Tramadol is here no longer free for sale.

And WADA does not take appropriate action despite the fact that she tramadol for several years on the Watch List. That is to say that they are tested for the drug but that a positive test does not have any consequences. A spokesman for WADA tramadol fairly often found in the urines of riders who undergo a doping test. But an exact number or percentage of people will not give up, that they do not have guts. I'm not going to speculate about the disastrous policies of WADA. I know that there is a surplus of resources on the doping list that does not belong. You can combat the use of doping substances for the simple reason that a particular agent performance-enhancing work. A second reason is the harm to health. Tramadol meets both criteria: it increases the performance and it is harmful to health; not only the health of the user, but also those of other athletes. Falls in finals are almost never solo crashes. And the consequences can be dramatic. Why WADA already takes years tramadol outside the prohibited list and therefore remains a mystery to me.

http://www.mpcc.fr/index.php/en/news-uk/item/418-no-to-tramadol

"NO TO TRAMADOL!"

?No to tramadol !? says Jan Mathieu, one of the representatives for MPCC?s doctors. He strongly opposes the use of tramadol. He regrets this opinion is not shared by everyone else. ?We must no longer work on our own? he adds on this matter.

In October 2013, MPCC asked World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) to add tramadol to the banned substances list. At the same time, the MPCC teams? doctors formally committed during a general meeting not to administer tramadol anymore. Two representatives for MPCC doctors: G?rard Guillaume (FDJ) and Jan Mathieu (Lotto-Soudal) continue to claim that ?tramadol should have nothing to do with sports - particularly with cycling?. G?rard Guillaume expresses his views on this topic: ?with the ever going races throughout the year, tramadol exposes the rider to health issues because of its side effects which include drowsiness and dizziness. From a medical point of view, it?s irresponsible to administer this medication to a cyclist in the context of a competition.?

Jan Mathieu regrets that not all of the team doctors feel that way: "This year, I went on Belgian TV with the intention to explain that." He adds "the non-MPCC teams disagree on that point." He believes in ?a committee with many physicians who discuss on several matters. We must no longer work on our own.? Tramadol remains part of the monitoring program on the banned substances list, as well as on the methods of WADA ? the agency has still taken no action to include this medication in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FogCiL_0KII
So, two pretty known cycling doctors who supposedly havent been afraid of administring cortisones and other products point to the dangers and misuse of this addictive painkiller and WADA don't act?

http://www.mpcc.fr/index.php/en/new...c-teams-members-sign-up-not-to-using-tramadol

WADA keep on observing about this but MPCC is pleased to hear from the teams doctors that due to advertising by the movement about the side effects of tramadol, demand would have decreased considerably among the riders. On February the 7th, teams doctors had agreed to follow the proper medical use of tramadol and related substances: we must go further, and Mario Zorzoli said he was ready to ask the legal department of the UCI to support the request made to WADA, "since the majority of the cycling world agrees." However, the representative of the international board has reminded that a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) allowed the exceptional use of that substance. Doctors of teams members of MPCC are committed to no longer use tramadol in competition.
Why not out of competition? When you need a painkiller like that you are unfit to train imho, just like when you need cortico's to race.

Why are only MPCC members due to not using tramadol? Why is WADA not acting on behalf of roughly 85% of a sports competitors?

it's creepy stuff when you think this took down the legend ODB

kp_So_Nq1425288903.jpg

combined with crack cocaine but still...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ebandit said:
it's been downhill ever since brits started training for events.....................

Mark L
yes, i will interpret this according to poes law. or poe's law.

brits start training = game over for other individuals training. inherent talent circumscribed in england.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
To me, the fact that it takes them an average of 100+ tests to get these guys to produce a positive, if at all, proves how futile the effort is. These folks have been doing this for many, many years, so they should know when and how to bust someone.

Yet, people like Armstrong or Froome keep flying under the radar, even though we know they are doping.

It's frustrating.

The_Juan said:
To me, the fact that it takes them an average of 100+ tests to get these guys to produce a positive, if at all, proves how futile the effort is. These folks have been doing this for many, many years, so they should know when and how to bust someone.

Yet, people like Armstrong or Froome keep flying under the radar, even though we know they are doping.

It's frustrating.

What may be frustrating you is the federation only processing lower tier athletes to 'prove' their theater is doing something. Did you know there were 90-something Tues on UCI podiums in 2013? Lots of sick people winning races..:rolleyes:

The federation is okay with doping and lets it happen. Until they don't.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Howman steps down...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/david-howman-step-down-wada-june-2016-182043238--spt.html

MONTREAL (AP) -- David Howman will be stepping down as director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency next year.

WADA says Howman, who has been in the job since 2003, ''has decided to complete his mandate'' on June 30, 2016.

In the meantime, WADA says it is starting a search for his successor.

As director general, Howman runs the day-to-day operations of the Montreal-based agency. He has worked under previous WADA presidents *** Pound and John Fahey and current president Craig Reedie.

Howman, of New Zealand, has been a prominent public figure in the global anti-doping movement, including in high-profile cases involving such athletes as Lance Armstrong.

TRENDING THREADS