• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

want to race in 2010

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
hi just got back into mtb after a long time out of the sport. spent the last year getting my fitness back (mostley going round trails on my own trying to catch up with other lone riders unsuccessfully). now i feel like a new challenge and would like to enter some races and events in 2010. im a fittsh 43 and live in the rhondda s.wales. any ideas thanks

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
The best and most useful two things I did when I first got back into mountain-biking after being away from bikes for years was 1) signing up for a race two months from when I bought my first bike (gave me something to work for) and 2) went to my local bike shops and found out who had weekly 'shop rides' and joined in. I quickly made friends with guys I could ride with and learned everything else along the way.

I also would show up at a trail head on a Saturday morning and when a small group was headed out, I would say 'mind if I tag along?' and was never, not once, told no - but not everyone is up for hitting up strangers at a trail head.

Best of luck and see you on the trails - if you're ever in the Western US that is :)