• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Was Froome beaten by Contador "Fair and Square"?

Was Chris Froome beaten "fair & square" by Contador

• Michelle Cound Option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I am split between the two.

It's clear Froome wasn't at his best, but Contador ''won fair and square''. He was the best rider and no way '' only outsprinted Froome ''

hfer07 said:
just want to get a perspective of how the outcome of the Contador-Froome battle was perceived-that's all :)

Contador was just the stronger rider. The difference in time would've been larger had Contador followed Froome on the previous mtf instead of hesitating and waiting for Valverde to respond. Contador is back to close to his best form. Bodes well for 2015. Makes me quite happy!:D

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I guess I am too much of an AC fan, but I wonder why this is even a topic. AC was stronger than everyone when it mattered and defended his lead smartly. But please cry, people - your tears are delicious.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Despite of tomorrow's 9k farewell ITT, the Vuelta is done.

The question is: Was Froome beaten by Contador fair and square, or else?

please opine

Yes beaten fair and square. Both were not 100% but in the first two weeks Froome seemed furtjer behind thst Berto. on the TT Froome had a bad day which cost him alot. In the last week they were eaqually strong in the mountains but Froome tactics sucked for most parts.

Also, since when does bad form mean you dont lose fair and square? Does that mean Contador didnt lose the 2013 Tour fair and square since he wasnt in top shape?

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Course he did no one know's maybe Froome did get hurt in his crash fact is Alberto had the edge uphill. Before the crash Froome just beat Contador on La Zubia.

Just a general question, not only regarding this poll, why is there not a simple "yes" and a simple "no" option, if i vote yes here i 'd have to agree with what you've written behind it.

Has Contador won fair and square, well I didn't see him take any shortcuts on the road, so that's an obvious yes.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Contador was the stronger rider and is the deserving winner.

What isn't as clear is whether he was the better climber, though, because he drafted so much. Their climbing ability seemed to be very close. Instead, it's the time trial were Contador landed the decisive punch. Quite unexpected!

It's possible that Froome was further off his personal best than Contador was, even if their respective injuries sustained during the Tour would have you expect the opposite.

All questions will be answered at the 2015 Tour. As of now, I have them as equally likely to triumph.

Yes, Alberto won fair and square. If Froome had come from an injury and AC hadn't been hurt then maybe someone could say it wasn't fair. But they both had injuries and AC won. I would argue that AC's injury was worse and that he had more of a disadvantage coming into the Vuelta. I think If it had just been AC's wrist that was hurt and he had been able to train with his legs more, that he would have beaten Froome (and everyone else) by a bigger margin.

Of course Contador won fair and square. I don't see how you could argue he didn't.

You can go on about form or injuries or training (or indeed Froome's crash on stage 7, which I think made a difference) but these factors are always present in races and sport in general.

Contador won this one because he was the best rider. But will he be at the next one? Who knows.

Jspear said:
Yes, Alberto won fair and square. If Froome had come from an injury and AC hadn't been hurt then maybe someone could say it wasn't fair. But they both had injuries and AC won. I would argue that AC's injury was worse and that he had more of a disadvantage coming into the Vuelta. I think If it had just been AC's wrist that was hurt and he had been able to train with his legs more, that he would have beaten Froome (and everyone else) by a bigger margin.

Of course he won fair and square. And so did Nibali in this Tour (its not like he put a stick in Contador's wheel or kicked Froome off the bike). What kind of question is this?

And if Froome would come from injury and Contador didnt it would still be a fair win.......
And dont argue that Alberto's injury was worse. Nobody truly knows how long they had to stay off the bike, or how they felt once they got on it in terms of physical health. Those are stupid speculations, more often that not clouded by ones affinity to either rider.
And the last statement is just plain dumb. Not sure what it was based on because when both were healthy this season they were going head to head with minimal gaps so don't know where your opinion comes from.

Still can't wait for next season. Would be absolutely amazing if all of the big 3 (Froome, Contador, Nibali) went for Giro & Tour double so we can see the epic duel twice, and that one or two crashes won't ruin it.

TRENDING THREADS