• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Well done to old man Petacchi.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I think he deserves his own thread.... a great sprinter at the end of his career and a worthy win in the green jersey catergory.... of course cavendish is the faster and better sprinter now.. maybe petacchi of the old fassa bortolo days could have challenged him though......but i think Petacchi with all his injuries and troubles has done great ......36 years old 2 stages wins and now he has won the points jersey in all 3 tours.... Good performance from the old git.

Hope he doesnt get busted for drugs now :S

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
One of the big surprises of the Tour.

A worthy champion of the Green Jersey.

He has come a long way from punching the team bus and breaking his hand a ocuple of years ago. I hope the doping allogations prove to be false.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
he's still basically as good as he once was. although that horrible crash had it's effect on him few years back and of course his (unfair) suspension. it's just cavendish is so much stronger. but petacchi is still world class and like the last true boulevard sprinter, like cipo. the guys that sprint in one straight line and don't jack their bikes like they are fighting with them. they are the best to watch

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that is great, I was with him eventhough I still remember, that when he was younger he just came to win few first stages and left race on first small hill, it was annoying............

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he's still basically as good as he once was. although that horrible crash had it's effect on him few years back and of course his (unfair) suspension. it's just cavendish is so much stronger. but petacchi is still world class and like the last true boulevard sprinter, like cipo. the guys that sprint in one straight line and don't jack their bikes like they are fighting with them. they are the best to watch

What do you mean by Boulevard sprinter? The fact he cranks it from a lot further out than the younger guys and accelerates slower to a high spped?

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I was rooting for Thor and felt he was robbed on Stage 2. But Petacchi is a worthy champion. His post interviews have conveyed much emotion. Glad to see him take it in the end.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
fireblader said:
Yeah, that is great, I was with him eventhough I still remember, that when he was younger he just came to win few first stages and left race on first small hill, it was annoying............

that was 1 year and he was very much injured :rolleyes:

Ryo Hazuki said:
I agree completely

Cavendish is a league of his own. But Petacchi is the last of the gentleman sprinters. A dying kind....

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
But Petacchi is the last of the gentleman sprinters. A dying kind....

+100! This is so true and so sad at the same time...

I've been supporting Ale-jet since a long time and see him winning La Maillot Vert was so awesome...! He made it in Il SuperGiro and La Vuelta the only one that was missing was La Grande Boucle and now he has it! I'm really happy for him... really really happy!

This is the perfect crown for an awesome career!

as I said before
GO ALE-JET!!!!!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well done, indeed. His resurgance was one of the more pleasant surprises of the Tour. It's always enjoyable to see an elder stateman rise to the occasion.

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

I found this quite humorous with the events of today

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Yeah, seems with age comes an inability to ride in a straight line.....

But an Italian jury ain't going to relegate him are they?

If that is true imagine how kenny van hummel will be sprinting in 10 years time :S

TRENDING THREADS