• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Scott SoCal said:
In preparation for the annual trip to Flanders...

Black Albert. Batch "0". It's actually better than it looks.

blackalbert.jpg

That is one of my all-time favourites, Scott! Strong though. I used to have a little stash of them and some Cuvée Delphines but I drank them all up.

I keep all my beer under the basement stairs and it got to the point where I couldn't go upstairs without staring at them. :p

I've sworn off beer for a while - except for the occasional Rochefort or Palm - because I need to try to drop some weight.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Just finished off some Lagunitas Maximus IPA. Strong, strong stuff.

Now onto an IPA I brewed and kegged myself. It's ready to drink today.

Next up is a Deep Shaft Stout I've got aging in a secondary fermenter.

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
After looking only for a few seconds, I already loved this thread. Even while I live in Belgium, everybody is always about our lagers, most of which are terrible like Jupiler (heretics, daring to even speak about those unnameable things in the presence of the Holy Trappist Ales). But I'm glad it's different here.

I'm a very curious person in this matter, and a while ago I found out a local brewery, the Scheldebrouwerij, brewed a new beer with strawberries, maybe the most popular fruit in the region I live in. Of course, when I finally saw after a period of non-active searching, I bought a few bottles and I'm planning to taste it this evening.

On the downside, the reviews were quite bad. But if it's really bad - always taste it yourself - I guess I'm going to drink a good fruity beer afterwards. Like an Oude Kriek Boon.

350px-Erbizzem.JPG

Erbizzem, I really like the name. Beautiful word in our native tongue (dialect of course).

greenedge said:
Just stumbled on this thread.

I'm still underage in my country- but for my birthday i recently acquired a beermaking kit. I can make 18L from 3kg of Bavarian Pale Ale :)

I've been lazy about it though/ have not started yet.

Any tips?

If you're really interested in brewing (i.e. you want to do more than get fresh cheaply), join a club or forum. That will quickly elevate the quality of your output.

I know of four folks here in Belgium who got together IRL and two seasons later they had a stable brew and were already selling it in selected beer stores. I had one a couple of years back and I have to say it was was terrific stuff for a bunch of amateurs. :p

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I had had Stella for the first time in a pub a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely, among the best beers I'd ever drunk. This weekend I picked up a six pack from a local bottle shop and it was disgusting. Green bottle skunk :mad:.

I never really took that seriously, but after this, I'm almost certain the phenomenon is more than just an urban myth. This bottled Stella tasted identical to a six pack of Beck's that I had bought the week earlier- which also comes in green bottles. It's a foul sort of odour/after taste that isn't replicated by any beer I've ever had straight from the tap at a bar.

I also bought a case of Kingfisher, an Indian beer, last weekend, and that was great.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
I had had Stella for the first time in a pub a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely, among the best beers I'd ever drunk. This weekend I picked up a six pack from a local bottle shop and it was disgusting. Green bottle skunk :mad:.

Probably been left out in the sun - that's how skunking occurs.

Kingfisher - not a great fan of - I would however recommend Asahi and Tiger if international lagers are your thing or even better German lager not Becks but something like Konig or Radeberger. Also Czech pilsners are refreshing this time of year in Aus. Pilsner Urquell or Budvar would be the way to go there.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I like Kingfisher. It's not something I would buy regularly, because it's quite expensive, and because it comes in green bottles (although they're a lot darker shade than Heineken/Beck's/Stella, so that might make a difference with the UV light protection).

Usually I buy Oettinger, because it's very cheap (you can get a case for less than $30 at Woolworths). International beers are only my thing for drinking at house parties/barbeques, when I go out, I'm a patriot! :p

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Get into craft beer. That is where the real beer taste is. I went through that international beer stage but now I've seen the light and the light is craft. Although in saying that, I don't mind an international beer from time to time and a bit lighter on the wallet too which helps

L'arriviste said:
If you're really interested in brewing (i.e. you want to do more than get fresh cheaply), join a club or forum. That will quickly elevate the quality of your output.

I know of four folks here in Belgium who got together IRL and two seasons later they had a stable brew and were already selling it in selected beer stores. I had one a couple of years back and I have to say it was was terrific stuff for a bunch of amateurs. :p

Thx for the response.

Pietra chestnut beer

Just came back from Corsica /after I saw the beautiful landscape during TdF coverage, I just had to go there.../ they have a great chestnut beer Pietra I never heard of before, and it was really tasty. Most probably I'll start to look for more chestnut beers here back home :rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Have a Flying Dog Raging B_i_t_c_h IPA in my hands right now. Never tried it before. Nice and hoppy, powerful flavor and 8.3% ABV. Good stuff.

TRENDING THREADS