• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone here tried Heady Topper, it is 8% alcohol IPA. a friend of mine gave me one last year. But I usually have Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Dogfish Head IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale in my fridge

Where I live in Fort Wayne Indiana it's difficult to get true dark beer, none of the fruity flowery crap for me. We can get Guinness Stout beer, and Negra Modelo here, but big deal everyone can get those, their good beers though don't get me wrong, but I get bored with the same thing found at any restaurant/pub I go into that has dark beer, a lot of restaurants and even pubs don't even carry dark beer here! So one day my wife and I decide to try a pizza place in town that was suppose to have good pizza, I'm looking at the beer list for a dark beer when suddenly I spotted something I only ever had in Russia and have never been able to find it in the states, this little pizza place had Russian Imperial Stout beer, so of course I ordered it and it was much better then even the Guinness or the Modelo. The problem with little pizza place is I found out they change their beer selection every 5 months so I was able to get a second time we went to have pizza but the third time they no longer carried it, they had another dark beer I never heard of before so I tried and didn't care, well it was ok but nothing to jump up and down about, so I didn't bother to write down the name.

I have a list of dark beers that I've tried in other cities and states but around where I live it sucks trying to find quality dark beer, not even the booze stores sell anything other than...you guessed it, Guinness and Modelo.

ChouffeMcChouffe330ml.jpg

Froze ..I gotta tell ya..San Diego to Ensenada have a huge selection of dark everything.. American Guinness has the rep for low alcohol and calories so you can down extra bottles without getting loaded.
If you get a chance to stray from Indiana come to San Diego.. you can get anything you want.. draft, bottles, growlers... liquor stores.. grocery stores for that matter have lots of offerings in bottles to take back..
I had some stout suggested to me Wednesday..was told it had hints of coffee, Coco and chocolate.. I didn't get the subtleties but it was really delicious

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
aphronesis said:
Drinking Chardonay and calling an imperial stout foofy. In all kindness you might expand your horizons of judgment.

No worries. We’re on to the whiskey, red wine and aged roast.
Why so rude?

We all have different palettes, not to mention tolerances toward different alcohol levels.

“Foofy” is a value statement. I’m not sure how to help you see that. Alcohol level isn’t in play here. (Although most west coast wines are at the same level as imperial stouts).

Well, wonders of wonders, I went to an Italian resturant in town, which I had been to before, but this time they had Victory Storm King Imperial Stout which I had never heard of so I tried it, while not as good as the Russian Imperial Stout I had at the pizza place I mentioned earlier it was still better then the other dark beers available in town. The Victory was a bit more bitter but with less alcohol taste, the waiter said it had a smooth roasted malt and espresso overtones but I found that the espresso wasn't even noticeable unlike the Russian Imperial Stout where I got the hint of espresso, and I found it less smooth then the Russian, but still it was good.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Wine. After lots of years drinking mostly beer I've switched to wine somehow and it's much, much better beverage, at least regarding taste. Yes, one gets used to beer, but it is not really tasty thing. One gets used to everything after all. Give good beer to someone who doesn't and he'll say - what the heck, it's hideous. Give them good wine and they'll say: now that is good thing.

Re:

Kokoso said:
Wine. After lots of years drinking mostly beer I've switched to wine somehow and it's much, much better beverage, at least regarding taste. Yes, one gets used to beer, but it is not really tasty thing. One gets used to everything after all. Give good beer to someone who doesn't and he'll say - what the heck, it's hideous. Give them good wine and they'll say: now that is good thing.

That's just your opinion. I don't happen to like wine, and craft beer is over taken wine in a lot of US cities that were big wine cities, so apparently the masses don't agree with you either.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

froze said:
Kokoso said:

That's just your opinion.
Not very clever comment and superfluous one. Of course that's just my opinion, Captain Obvious :D

craft beer is over taken wine in a lot of US cities that were big wine cities
I don't know, maybe. Even if it was true, US in not only country out there, you know ;)

Re:

Kokoso said:
You are in the wrong thread.

I love fruit, but don't like the taste of fermented fruit, the tastes of oak, or the way it makes me feel. I have a good friend who is a chef/wine guy who tried for years to get me to like it, but it just didn't happen. Honestly, an average beer is better than a fine wine for me.

Now let's talk about silver tequila...mmmm!

froze said:
Kokoso said:

That's just your opinion. I don't happen to like wine, and craft beer is over taken wine in a lot of US cities that were big wine cities, so apparently the masses don't agree with you either.

Hmmm, well actually it apparently isn't just my opinion, here are numbers: 24 billion liters of wine are drank a year compared to just 187 billions liters of beer...looks like wine lost that one. Beer has been around for about 3,500 years before wine. Of course I'm not the only person drinking all those 187 billions liters of beer in one year...more of that captain obvious stuff. Besides I really don't drink much at all, I may have one 16 ounce of beer about every other month!

Some of the beers I've had over the last few weeks, no photos of them sorry, just links to Australian websites.

A very easy drinking and delicious beer
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_917410/bridge-road-brewers-beechworth-pale-ale-330ml

All of the first three beers are great
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/search?searchTerm=balter

The bottleO that I work at just got this beer in, it was nice but I had a cold so wasn't able to enjoy it as much as possible
https://www.beercartel.com.au/philter-caribbean-stout/

The red Tennant and the Silent Knight Porter are really good
http://www.mobrewing.com.au/modusbeer

Lastly this beer is very creamy and smooth
http://www.batchbrewingco.com.au/products/elsie-milk-stout

Now that it's spring I'll probably move away from the dark beers. Trawling through this thread I've realised that the ABV's of all the beers mentioned are very high, which you don't really get in Australia as much but craft beers are raising the % and IBU's much more than our usual mainstream beers.

Lastly I tried this beer recently, but wasn't too much of a fan, it was too sweet for me, but i'll have to try the original beers by the German company to find out whether it was because of the collaboration or not.
https://www.weihenstephaner.de/en/our-beers/braupakt/

Resident Culture, “Comparison is the Thief of Joy”

Sour ale aged 1year in red wine barrels and refermented with North Carolina strawberries. 5.8%

A greater than the sum of its parts or four dimensional beer: warmth from the barrels, brightness of thw strawberries and effervescent undertow of the sour. No heaviness, astringency or sweetness, rather a milk sugar effect that loosely binds the flavors.