• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What can Nocentini expect?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Often, unknown riders who get the yellow jersey for a few stages, find the motivation to defend it and end up with a far better GC placing in Paris than they would otherwise.

Nocentini has hung tough in the mountains (without the yellow jersey, he would probably be already half an hour back or more). What do you think is the most Nocentini can achieve in the GC? Top 5? Top 10? Less?

Discuss.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Of course he'll struggle, but will he lose so much time that by the end of the Tour he'll be buried deep in GC, or can he hang on for a honourable placing?

Danilot said:
Of course he'll struggle, but will he lose so much time that by the end of the Tour he'll be buried deep in GC, or can he hang on for a honourable placing?

He'll definetely do his best. Actually, he'll probably ride beyond himself, even once he loses the jersey, just from the residual limelight.

His abilities will only carry him so far, though, and there's nothing dishonorable in riding to your limits--no matter how many minutes you're down.

Having said that, I don't see him finishing in the top 20.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
the way this race is going i can see astana letting him take yellow in to paris... to avoid the pressure of the yellow jersey.

At this rate it pretty much looks like it doesn't it? :p

I think Nocentini will end up in the top 20. Even if the other 19 riders stay exactly where they are (no one loses more time, drops out, gets busted fro doping) he'll have to lose 4 minutes. I think he'll hang on!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
the way this race is going i can see astana letting him take yellow in to paris... to avoid the pressure of the yellow jersey.

I was thinking the same thing.Although i am happy a French team has had the yellow for a week, I get sick of Astana riding the front all day. It would be hilarious to me if somehow someway Nocentini could ride the week of his life and make it to Paris in yellow.
Yeah i know it can't happen, but then again who would think all the GC guys would just look at each other today and let a sprinter win?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
He can expect to enjoy yellow for one more day, then finish far down on GC and perhaps win a breakaway stage later on, if the defense of the jersey hasn't taken too much out of him.

TRENDING THREADS