• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What caused Andy's rear wheel to pop up?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
131313 said:
I have to disagree. Looking at the clip you posted, in high res, it looks to me like he shifted, probably from the 12 to the 11, while in the small ring. His right hand appears to move right before.

Regardless, he was riding way too crossed up (another photo still shows that). The chain caught the big ring, had momentary chain suck and that's what popped his rear wheel up and then tossed his chain.

He should have put it in the big ring before his attack. Standing and sprinting in a 39x11 just isn't a great idea.

i have seen the video when Andy stop and put his chain back.. Is it coming from the inner chain ring or outer chain ring? when he put his chain back.
these could further check whether he is cross shifting..

StyrbjornSterki said:
You're exactly right. I've watched the video frame-by-frame and I'm convinced that's exactly what happened. When the wheel went airborne, his chainrings flung the chain almost immediately. I think the slack in the chain and the impact of the landing un-jammed the cogset.

I'd thought about chain suck, too, but the lower chainline remains taught until the instant the rear derailleur moves, indicating the point at which Andy attempts to shift. Then it gets a little slack but it's hanging off the front of the chainring, not wrapping around the back. Next thing, the wheel hops.

The first event definitely was the chain jamming in the cogset. The rest will have to wait until that Zapruder fella gets his film back from the drug store.

His rear wheel popped up because he was out of the saddle when he derailed his chain. He was leaning foward as he attacked. With no resistance at the crank to hold his body up, a lot of his weight came down on his hands, overweighting the front end of his bike and causing his rear wheel to pop up.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ι guess he shifted to the bigger ring and the chain went over it and then it was caught between crank and bigger ring. That's why the chain in the beginning jammed. That's why also he didn't succeed in fixing it with the 1st attempt.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Folks must have seen this by now, but from what Andy told Frank:

"Both brothers spoke at the end of the stage on phone, Fränk revealing that one of the first thing Andy does is call his brother once he’s on the team bus. “He’s furious with the mistake, from the mechanical but he wont give up and he’s going to carry on fighting. There’s no way he’ll give up. In many ways he’s more dangerous now.”"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-more-dangerous-than-ever

Also saw this:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...d-zinn-why-did-schlecks-chain-come-off_130090

Moose McKnuckles said:
In all fairness, Campy on a Specialized just doesn't seem right...

Who puts Pirellis on a Yugo? :)

Exactly!

4499497168_52fc5aacc8_b.jpg

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
chain dropped causing a sudden stop, the momentum of his body standing in the pedals pivoted him towards the stem pulling on the pedals and causing the wheel to pop up (I almost subconsciously wrote "poop").
...oh that and Vino's death stare.

BroDeal said:
His rear wheel popped up because he was out of the saddle when he derailed his chain. He was leaning foward as he attacked. With no resistance at the crank to hold his body up, a lot of his weight came down on his hands, overweighting the front end of his bike and causing his rear wheel to pop up.
That doesn't explain why his left pedal froze in the 10 o'clock position while the wheel was hopping, or why the lower chainline went very slightly slack but still was hanging off the front of the chainring just one or two frames before. The chain jamming in the cogset does.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Fourier said:
chain dropped causing a sudden stop, the momentum of his body standing in the pedals pivoted him towards the stem pulling on the pedals and causing the wheel to pop up (I almost subconsciously wrote "poop").

This. I dropped my chain and almost dropped my brain.

TRENDING THREADS