• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What changes would you make to TDF rules?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Putting aside UCI regulations

1. I think that time bonuses of 10,6,4 (except maybe on high mountain stages) would make the first week more interesting.

2. Get rid of the intermediate sprints and replace them with a new intermediate jersey with points to be won on a mixture of terrains.

3. Increase the time cut-offs back to the level they were at a few years ago but expel anybody who finishes outside of that time.

the bonus seconds would be great and 10,6,4 is perfect. I don't quite understand why they should be removed from high mountain stages, as it isn't very common that the gc riders win more than two stages. It would just add some excitement IMO.

screaming fist said:
I don't really get this - you want to replace the green jersey with exactly what?

They used to have the combative red jersey for immediate sprints. Think it disappeared around '93.

There was also the mixed jersey for the leading rider in all categories. That went as well.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
screaming fist said:
I don't really get this - you want to replace the green jersey with exactly what?

An extra jersey so that there is at least a modicum of excitement on long flattish stages before the finish (notice where i said UCI regulations aside).

search said:
yeah, but it's not allowed to hand out more than three leaders jerseys, so there is not much room to change anthing

Say what? (Aren't there four anyway?)

Giro/Tour:
Leader
Points Leader
GPM Leader
Youth Leader

Vuelta:
Leader
Points Leader
GPM Leader
Combinada

Loads of other races have a Metas Volantes jersey, a best local rider jersey, and others. Some races have two best young rider jerseys, one for U26 and the other for U23 (the Polish 2.1 races are notable for this iirc).

Of course, some WT races don't even bother with all of the "normal" ones; the Eneco doesn't bother with the GPM as there aren't really many 'mountains' to include in the race, while the Volta a Catalunya has no 'points' classification in the way we'd normally know it, just the Metas Volantes.

I would permanently ban riders previously caught cheating in the Tour. Byebye Contador. This Tour is already much better without him. Why not keep it that way.

I would make the first week a bit easier. This trend of so many classic type stages takes a toll on the riders and results in Tours like last year with far to many crashes. Riders need a few more easy stages especially the first week. Although I did really like the cobble stage 2 years ago. It added quite a lot and had a good effect on the standings.

I would bring back the TTT more often and make it longer and more technical. Make riders pay a greater price for having a poor team.

Libertine Seguros said:
Say what? (Aren't there four anyway?)

yeah, sorry, it's four of course:

Various classifications may be drawn up; they must be based exclusively on sporting criteria. The individual general classification on time and the team general classification on time are obligatory in events of the UCI WorldTour and of the continental circuits for the men elite and under 23 in classes HC, 1 and 2.

On the basis of the classifications, only 4 leader’s jerseys can be issued in events of the UCI WorldTour and of the continental circuits of the classes HC and 1 for the men elite and under 23, and a maximum of 6 jerseys in the other events. A leader's jersey for the individual gen¬eral classification
on time is compulsory.

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Old&slow said:
I would permanently ban riders previously caught cheating in the Tour. Byebye Contador. This Tour is already much better without him. Why not keep it that way.

I would make the first week a bit easier. This trend of so many classic type stages takes a toll on the riders and results in Tours like last year with far to many crashes. Riders need a few more easy stages especially the first week. Although I did really like the cobble stage 2 years ago. It added quite a lot and had a good effect on the standings.

I would bring back the TTT more often and make it longer and more technical. Make riders pay a greater price for having a poor team.
I have a funny feeling most people are going to disagree with you on all 3 points you made.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
They used to have the combative red jersey for immediate sprints. Think it disappeared around '93.

There was also the mixed jersey for the leading rider in all categories. That went as well.

I find all the different classifications in the Giro to be really irritating and unnecessary, and think the Tour has it just right, right now.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Unkown said:
Get rid of the hideous yellow helmets the team in first place wears.

Yes +1, don't get why they are having the overall team wear yellow helmets, why can't they just have a yellow number like they have done in the past? Only the yellow jersey should get custom yellow gear.

Old&slow said:

How is this tour already better without Contador? We are only 2 days in, a little soon to already be saying its better without him.

As for making the first week easier that would create a very boring first weak. And there will always be big crashes in the first week, making it easier won't prevent the crashes. All it would do is create boring sprint stages.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
asdfgh101 said:
Putting aside UCI regulations

1. I think that time bonuses of 10,6,4 (except maybe on high mountain stages) would make the first week more interesting..

I'd like to see time bonuses back (at the UCI-legislated maximum for grand tours of 20-12-8), but more for the high mountain stages. I think that sprint at the top of a mountaintop finish should be consequential for more than just time.

asdfgh101 said:
2. Get rid of the intermediate sprints and replace them with a new intermediate jersey with points to be won on a mixture of terrains..

Which jersey would you propose getting rid of to keep the UCI-imposed maximum of four? The green, polka-dot, or white?

asdfgh101 said:
3. Increase the time cut-offs back to the level they were at a few years ago but expel anybody who finishes outside of that time.

So half the field gets eliminated at each mountain stage? Per UCI rules, anybody who finishes outside the time limit, but is retained, automatically loses the same number of points as the winner earns (even if this takes them into negative points). Imagine if that rule you suggested had been in place in 2001. There would have been exactly 14 riders left in the race after Stage 8, due to a breakaway getting nearly 36 minutes ahead of the peloton, and we never would have heard about Lance Armstrong winning seven straight Tour titles, as he would have been punted from the race after that stage.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
I'd like to see time bonuses back (at the UCI-legislated maximum for grand tours of 20-12-8), but more for the high mountain stages. I think that sprint at the top of a mountaintop finish should be consequential for more than just time.

Which jersey would you propose getting rid of to keep the UCI-imposed maximum of four? The green, polka-dot, or white?

So half the field gets eliminated at each mountain stage? Per UCI rules, anybody who finishes outside the time limit, but is retained, automatically loses the same number of points as the winner earns (even if this takes them into negative points). Imagine if that rule you suggested had been in place in 2001. There would have been exactly 14 riders left in the race after Stage 8, due to a breakaway getting nearly 36 minutes ahead of the peloton, and we never would have heard about Lance Armstrong winning seven straight Tour titles, as he would have been punted from the race after that stage.

1. I think that 20 second bonuses have too great an impact on GC and with regards to the first week it would make the battle for Yellow less interesting.

2. Why do people treat UCI regulations like the Ten Commandments?

3. Obviously the commisaires would be able to rule in exceptional circumstances (such as a breakaway gaining a large amount of time). But if a rider misses the time cut he should be expelled from the race. Last year Cavendish would have been inside the limit on both stages he was deducted points; but not by enough that other riders can feel safe coasting in with the autobus in order to save themselves for the next stage.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Add a points classification. every other race has it, why cant the tour?

+1. Or at the very least revert to the old system for the green jersey.

I would also add time bonuses of 20-12-8 on every stage. And the yellow helmet thing is stupid. Go back to the special numbers.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
asdfgh101 said:
1. I think that 20 second bonuses have too great an impact on GC and with regards to the first week it would make the battle for Yellow less interesting.

2. Why do people treat UCI regulations like the Ten Commandments?

3. Obviously the commisaires would be able to rule in exceptional circumstances (such as a breakaway gaining a large amount of time). But if a rider misses the time cut he should be expelled from the race. Last year Cavendish would have been inside the limit on both stages he was deducted points; but not by enough that other riders can feel safe coasting in with the autobus in order to save themselves for the next stage.

So you are not changing the rules?

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Fowsto Cope-E said:
+1. Or at the very least revert to the old system for the green jersey.

I would also add time bonuses of 20-12-8 on every stage. And the yellow helmet thing is stupid. Go back to the special numbers.
The yellow numbers are still there. The yellow helmets are in addition to the yellow numbers.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
If ASO really wants the real time of the riders (no bonuses), could they add time bonuses that do not count on the GC?

For example, Gilbert is 13 seconds back on GC and wins a stage (20 seconds bonus). He gets to wear the yellow jersey, but the real GC leader would still be Cancellara. Futhermore, Evans or Menchov could be in yellow for the first TT if they finish in the 3 first places on Planche des Belles Filles and have the advantage of starting last, although Wiggins would be the real leader.

Like this, sprinters, puncheurs and baroudeurs still have a chance to be in yellow, we will stop seeing a guy taking yellow the first day and keep it for 7 days by one second and ASO still have the real time for their GC.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
Imagine if that rule you suggested had been in place in 2001. There would have been exactly 14 riders left in the race after Stage 8, due to a breakaway getting nearly 36 minutes ahead of the peloton, and we never would have heard about Lance Armstrong winning seven straight Tour titles, as he would have been punted from the race after that stage.

I don't agree with the suggestion, but this is not a valid point against it. Leads that big only open up when the main field gives up because there is no-one particularly dangerous to the time or points classifications. If the main field knew they would be eliminated, they would simply ride hard enough that they weren't.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Wigwan said:
could they add time bonuses that do not count on the GC?

For example, Gilbert is 13 seconds back on GC and wins a stage (20 seconds bonus). He gets to wear the yellow jersey, but the real GC leader would still be Cancellara. Futhermore, Evans or Menchov could be in yellow for the first TT if they finish in the 3 first places on Planche des Belles Filles and have the advantage of starting last, although Wiggins would be the real leader.

lmfao :D
it's july allright

edit: gets better with every read :D:D

TRENDING THREADS