• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What changes would you make to TDF rules?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Regarding time bonuses.

I kind of understand why they were removed for 2008. The reason is because the race started with mass start stage and not with time trial. Intermediate sprints were not changed to their current format, there was still two or three sprints per stage.

This basically meant that rider who would won the stage on the first day would not necessarily lead the race after it. Imagine if four-man breakaway would escape early and take the honors. I just name the riders A, B, C and D. They all finish with the same time.

Intermediate 1: B, A, C, D
Intermediate 2: A, C, B, D
Intermediate 3: C, B, A, D
Finish: D, A, B, C

Each of the riders A, B and C took 12 seconds on intermediate sprints, D didn't get any. D won and got 20 seconds, A got 12 in the finish and B got 8.

In total, A got 24, B and D 20, C 12. So A takes the yellow jersey after the first stage.

With the current system and only one intermediate sprint, with same time bonus allocation, rider who wins intermediate sprint and finishes second gets 18, which is less than winner gets at the finish.

swuzzlebubble said:
Especially for “non-sprint” stages, I would reduce the time gap between riders that determines a timing ‘split’ from one second to say quarter or half second.
Basically, any more than a bike length = split.

Too Dangerous. Can you imagine The 40 or so who are concerned about their GC, sprinting among a dozen sprinters, while their leadout men go backwards?

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Tigerion said:
Make the intermediate sprints and a climb like an elimination race in track cycling
The last rider through gets eliminated from the race

Too. Dangerous. Imagine the whole back of the field scrambling like mad to avoid being last while GC men get eliminated because of punctures.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
1. I would make teams smaller teams (maybe 5 riders). And more of them.
That would make more interesting racing with more team leaders fighting for it with more head to head fighting and less use of the domestiques and teams.

2. Polka dot jersey would be given to the fastest climber. Measure climbing times on categorized climbs (bottom to the top) and add them up.

i would give a prize for every record climb ascent.a big one,something like 20000-30000 euros.give them a motivation to attack and ride faster on the climbs
also respect the climbs.spare us for soft pedalling like luz ardiden and plateau de beille last year
records are made to be broken.

Old&slow said:
I would permanently ban riders previously caught cheating in the Tour. Byebye Contador. This Tour is already much better without him. Why not keep it that way.

I would make the first week a bit easier. This trend of so many classic type stages takes a toll on the riders and results in Tours like last year with far to many crashes. Riders need a few more easy stages especially the first week. Although I did really like the cobble stage 2 years ago. It added quite a lot and had a good effect on the standings.

I would bring back the TTT more often and make it longer and more technical. Make riders pay a greater price for having a poor team.

You're doing exactly all the things i wouldn't do

1. I'd introduce bonifications again: 10, 6 and 4 seconds for all stages, also i'd throw in 5, 3 and 2 seconds in the intermediate sprints.
2. I'd use three mountains never used before in each TdF
3. I'd award points for combativity and award a red jersey for it, so attacking can give way more publicity.
4 I'd never use a long TTT again
5: I'd use cobbles and or dirtroads every once in a while
6: I'd change the 3km rule. Within 3km, all time difference b/c of falls and mechanicals will not be counted. From 3 to 8 km it's the same, unlesst a rider causes the crash, the time difference will count for the gc.
7: If a car driver from the ASO causes a crash with riders involved, the driver has to pay for the aftermath

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd establish an actual combativity points competition for the most aggressive rider, based on the amount of time (or distance) a rider spends in a breakaway in front of the peloton. Maybe require a min. gap of 10sec be established on the peloton before a rider starts getting credit for aggressiveness. With current technology we should be able to keep track of who's off the front of the peloton and for how long fairly easily.

Points go to the top 10 riders who spent the most time/distance with a 10sec+ gap on the peloton that day. If you have a stage where fewer than 10 riders are in breakaways, then the remaining points go to the top finishers on the stage (i.e. Only 7 men participate in break or go on attacks means 8th-10th place combativity points go to the first 3 riders across the finishing line). Update the standings after each stage, should be easy.

Have an actual jersey (Red?) for the current leader of the combativity points classification, and whoever holds it at the end gets to stand on the podium in Paris. I bet you'd see more frequent and longer attacks made by larger groups of riders who want to earn those points, and it would make the top teams have to work much harder to bring back the breakaway. In general, it would probably animate the heck out of the race.

T-Rav. said:
I'd establish an actual combativity points competition for the most aggressive rider, based on the amount of time (or distance) a rider spends in a breakaway in front of the peloton. Maybe require a min. gap of 10sec be established on the peloton before a rider starts getting credit for aggressiveness. With current technology we should be able to keep track of who's off the front of the peloton and for how long fairly easily.

I like all of that as long as it isn't rewarded in the same way as the main jerseys but is more ceremonial. In some ways it'd be a 'thank you' to the rider for trying to contribute to the race and gives a rider who isn't a premier GC, Sprinter or Mountain guy something to aim for. Some recognition.

I'd make teams have to nominate a candidate for all four jerseys.
I'd then modify the team classification so it was the team that had the best average position in each of the four jerseys rather than something that rewards a team like RSNT for doing very little indeed to animate a race.

TRENDING THREADS