• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do the Giro protagonists do now

What will they do. Done for the season. Go for a few minor races.

Tour? (surely no one).
Vuelta? (surely most, but who will try)

Last year Uran Pozzo and Majka were in the same situation and went to the Vuelta.

Pozzo was really good.

the other 2 didn't really bother, though Uran managed to get a post Vuelta peak for worlds.

Quintana - target Vuelta for GT double?
Uran - go to Tour for Kwiat or same as last year?
Aru - will he follow Nibali's footsteps and be 2 gt a season man?
Rolland -Tdf stage wins obviously
Pozzo - Vuelta like last year?
Majka - Autumn classics like last year?
Kelderman - peak more or less done like last few Rabo Giro leaders - Mollema, Kruiswijk. Maybe Suisse or Dauphine?
Evans - TDF for presence?
Hesjedal - season more or less done?
Kiserlowski - Horner dom again?

Arredondo - TDF kom? Schleck Dom? Vuelta kom?
Basso - retire?
Ulissi - Autumn classics?
Rogers - TDF dom for Contador surely
Bouhanni- TDF sprints for top 5s? Vuelta?
Scarponi - Vuelta or Tour maybe? Was it injuries?
Jeste Bol-?

May 28, 2012
Visit site
classicomano said:
Youre overreacting, it worked wonders for Kruijswijk. :eek:

Lol for sure it did. Long term vision doesn't seem to exist at Rabo/Belkin. Lampre is also fielding Polanc, they're both way too young to be squeezed out like this.

I think Quintana's plan from the beginning of the season was to ride the Giro and the Vuelta. And that's what I'm the most interested in.
Movistar's internal affairs and possible Contador's participation are a promising trailer for the race.
Vuelta could become a foundation of the 2015 season for a number of riders and teams.

Presumably Nairito will now get a month off. As Movistar normally don't ride the Österreich Rundfahrt, it may be a long time before we get to see him back in his natural environment. Might he even rest until Ordizia-San Sebastián-Burgos?

Ooh, only just realised Burgos and Portugal don't clash this year. Shame that it's no longer at the level it was a decade ago as this would have been the ideal time to try and get Lampre to come back to the race and bring Costa if the race was where it was in stature a few years ago.

Quintana - Vuelta & World's combo
Uran - Vuelta & World's combo
Aru - Vuelta & World's combo- Nibbs can handle it alone:)
Rolland - Vuelta. Voeckler is the stage hunter at the Tour
Pozzo - Vuelta.
Majka - Whatever Contador says-but he'd be tired to domestique at the Tour
Kelderman - Is Belkin going to last long enough to stay there?
Evans - Start looking for a new team or stop doing GTs
Hesjedal - become a sport eye wear model
Kiserlowski - Vuelta
Arredondo - Vuelta kom & World's
Basso - start looking at the savings account & make some phone calls
Rogers - Heavy duty for Contador
Bouhanni- Measure himself against the big boys
Scarponi - call Basso

hfer07 said:
Quintana - Vuelta & World's combo
Uran - Vuelta & World's combo
Aru - Vuelta & World's combo- Nibbs can handle it alone:)
Rolland - Vuelta. Voeckler is the stage hunter at the Tour
Pozzo - Vuelta.
Majka - Whatever Contador says-but he'd be tired to domestique at the Tour
Kelderman - Is Belkin going to last long enough to stay there?
Evans - Start looking for a new team or stop doing GTs
Hesjedal - become a sport eye wear model
Kiserlowski - Vuelta
Arredondo - Vuelta kom & World's
Basso - start looking at the savings account & make some phone calls
Rogers - Heavy duty for Contador
Bouhanni- Measure himself against the big boys
Scarponi - call Basso

Scarponi is going tour. Plan from the start was to peak in July, but be in decent shape in may.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
A thought just occurred to me on what Aru is going to do next. He seems to be following in Nibali's footsteps; same team, next great Italian GT rider after Nibali's time is done, been working at Giro so far like Nibali has mostly done. But of course also more talented then Nibali at that age.

Anyway, in 2010 Nibali took his first GT podium placing 3rd in the Giro, he then followed up with a Vuelta win. I think I know who I'll be cheering for come September...

Afrank said:
A thought just occurred to me on what Aru is going to do next. He seems to be following in Nibali's footsteps; same team, next great Italian GT rider after Nibali's time is done, been working at Giro so far like Nibali has mostly done. But of course also more talented then Nibali at that age.

Anyway, in 2010 Nibali took his first GT podium placing 3rd in the Giro, he then followed up with a Vuelta win. I think I know who I'll be cheering for come September...

Nibali was supposed to do the Tour that year though.

The Aussie guys on SBS chatted to someone from BMC (forgotten who exactly) earlier during the stage and it seemed pretty clear there were no plans for Evans to ride the tour.

I would presume quite a lot of the major players will double up for the Vuelta, though whether riding it for form pre-Worlds or to genuinely compete is probably another matter.

Quintana - Vuelta and Worlds
Uran - don't care whatever he wants
Aru - Vuelta and Worlds
Rolland - TdF
Pozzo - Vuelta and Worlds
Majka - TdF - support for Contador
Kelderman - Whatever he wants
Evans - TdF super dom and 1 week stage races. He could go to Canada again.
Hesjedal - Vuelta
Kiserlowski - Whatever he wants
Arredondo - TdF stage hunting
Basso - retire
Ulissi - Autumn classics or Vuelta
Rogers - TDF- support for AC
Bouhanni- TDF sprints
Scarponi - Going to the Tour to support Nibali

The Hitch said:
Nibali was supposed to do the Tour that year though.

Indeed. Nibali was very Tour focused at young age. In part because Liquigas already had a handful of Giro contenders (Di Luca, Pellizotti, Basso), in part for his skills, being a better TTer than most Italian riders.

As for Aru, he hasn't raced much before the Giro so maybe he can extend his peak a little longer.

I'd really want to see Kelderman in the Canadian classics and San Sebastian.

Uran should target the Worlds.

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
You guys think Bouhani will go to TdF? I thought FdJ plans were to send Demare there...

For Vuelta it would be amazing to see Quintana fighting with Contador. Maybe Sky will send Henao there too, and with Horner and maybe Aru or Uran in a good form we should see an epic race. That would be as good as TdF in terms of quality GC guys at the
start!

PS: Maybe even Froome if Andy will destroy everyone in Le Tour!

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
ItalianGigolo said:
You guys think Bouhani will go to TdF? I thought FdJ plans were to send Demare there...

For Vuelta it would be amazing to see Quintana fighting with Contador. Maybe Sky will send Henao there too, and with Horner and maybe Aru or Uran in a good form we should see an epic race. That would be as good as TdF in terms of quality GC guys at the
start!

PS: Maybe even Froome if Andy will destroy everyone in Le Tour!

You forget Purito and Valverde. If Purito doesn't ride the Tour, we will get a epic fight between him and Quintana. Contador won't really be in the mix then because of a hard Tour in his legs already.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Bouhanni is not going to Tour. It's bit known for a while and is a reason why Bouahanni did the whole Giro. It's all for Demare.

Bouahnni and Demare hate each other. Literally. They can't be in races together and well that is why Bouhanni will leave, as FDJ prefers Demare for the Tour at this point.

Gloin22 said:
Bouhanni is not going to Tour. It's bit known for a while and is a reason why Bouahanni did the whole Giro. It's all for Demare.

Bouahnni and Demare hate each other. Literally. They can't be in races together and well that is why Bouhanni will leave, as FDJ prefers Demare for the Tour at this point.

According to Casar, the whole squad hates Bouhanni

TRENDING THREADS