• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What happened to Dmytro Grabovskyy?

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Extremely successful in the U23 cat., he joined QuickStep... Then results became worse, he was into alcohol, and joined Continenatal squad ISD.

Does anyone know where he is in 2012, and how his ambitions to come back look like, if there are any?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The lad had a lot of personal problems, fell off the rails and never really got back to his best. A real shame, he could've been a superstar. His ride to win the World U23 RR in Madrid was very special.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes you need to blame the rider, not the team ;)

Matteo Trentin, Julien Vermote, Kwiatkowski, Van Keirsbulck, Filippo Pozzato, Michael Rogers, Oscar Freire, Fabian Cancellara, Bernhard Eisel, Tom Boonen, Nick Nuyens, Luca Paolini and Andrew Fenn all seem to be doing just fine ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
By his own admission he barely trained and spent 5 nights a week in clubs, going into alcoholic coma 3 times in the space of a year and nearly dying each time.

He says he got cocky and thought success would come easy. Once he realized he was wrong, it was too late to get to the top anymore

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
bizzaro,drunk,funny,marmot,stuffed,animal,teddy,bear-69325ae1f181e906c03c27b5f56b88d8_h.jpg

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
That's one bizzaro drunk funny marmot stuffed animal teddy-bear.

I expected a Russian URL image link, I'm disappointed.

Well, judging from the reflections in the puddles, the setting is quite eastern european

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Digressing but in a similar vein.....

Whatever happened to Vladislav Bobrik? He was in the Gewiss team of Argentin, Furlan, Riis and Berzin and from memory I think he scooped a Tour of Lombardy in the year they won pretty much everything.

He was pretty quick uphill I seem to remember.

B_Ugli said:
Digressing but in a similar vein.....

Whatever happened to Vladislav Bobrik? He was in the Gewiss team of Argentin, Furlan, Riis and Berzin and from memory I think he scooped a Tour of Lombardy in the year they won pretty much everything.

He was pretty quick uphill I seem to remember.
He went on to win the Tour de France in 1996, but admittedly that only happened in a bottle cap cycling game at my schoolyard.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
What the..?

The guy that won the Tour of Turkey stage today wasn't the Gabrovskyy this topic was about?

Yep. Dmytro Grabovski rearranged a few letters in his last name, changed his first name to Ivailo, changed nationality and went on to win the Tour of Turkey, and live happy ever after. True story.

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
I could list a number of riders much longer who all got f'd up there. especially gc guys

I'm gonna weigh in on this five year old discussion.
There will always be riders who won't prosper on a team. Lots of WT teams have had riders that were very promising but failed to deliver. That doesn't mean it's the teams fault, it can be a combination of factors

Anyways about Dmytro, he's still racing (allbeit Ukranian and Belarussian 1.2 races. )

Re:

valentius borealis said:
He races on an Israeli licence now and was the national time trial champion last year.

Good to see he is still racing albeit at a lower level. Sounds like someone who couldn't handle the pressure at the elite level and he won't be the last. I remember reading also that he always had weight issues and trouble getting motivated but that was a long time ago.

That was really confusing!
I noticed this thread when it was first resurrected but didn't notice the time-stamp for when it was created. Read it and practically went "Who's this guy who was on Quickstep? Oh... it's from 2011."
:rolleyes:
I was seriously wondering what the heck I had missed...

TRENDING THREADS