• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What happens after the indictments are finally handed down?

What happens after the indictments are handed down?

I think there is quite a bit of confusion as to what will happen when this day finally comes.

So for anyone with knowledge on this subject, feel free to enlighten us.

Will all charges against the offending parties be made public?

Will we get to see a list of who testified?

Will the people who testified be free to do interviews related to what questions they were asked and how they responded?

Will the Feds be able to serve someone like Bruyneel with papers, seeing as he is not an American citizen? Would he even have to show up with a lawyer if he lives and works in Europe and never has to come to the states?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Can the feds make those who are still American citizens, but no longer reside the in the States (for example, one Mike Anderson), still testify?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Can the feds make those who are still American citizens, but no longer reside the in the States (for example, one Mike Anderson), still testify?

I do not think Mike would be forced, he will come to the court room skipping and singing a song.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm also curious as to what protections are offered those who have testified. We know a lot of the names but probably not all of them so far. Would LA or any of his associates be prevented or prohibited in any way from contacting those who gave GJ testiomony?

TexPat, any surprise visits lately?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Most of the inditments will not be handed down because they will be outside statute of limitations over 6 years old so they wont stick.

The big issue is did US postal team use US postal money to buy ilegal drugs.
if so there is no statute on that its a Federal crime.

As always too late .
What is the bet they drop it all and put it in the too hard basket they may make some noises but if it wont stick the Federal Govt wont put money up .

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Hog tied

Actually the subject of Bruyneel brings up even more questions. If we assume the Hog, not being a USA citizen, is a target for charges then:
Will the FEDS wait till he is on US soil again?
and can they charge a non US resident?
Or is Interpol waiting to coordinate with relevant authorities in Europe? same with Popo?
Will Belgium authorities be in the loop?
If it goes pear shaped for the Hog, will the UCI be obligated to take action? and what action can the UCI take on a DS?

and If it goes pear shaped for the Hog, the Clinic will erupt!

cheers to the Hog and our Hog

Race Radio said:
I do not think Mike would be forced, he will come to the court room skipping and singing a song.

I never got the feeling he is vindictive, though I don't think he would be reluctant to repeat the truth either.

I would also think he knows a lot more than about the box of steroids and the hiding from the doping tester.

Granville57 said:
I'm also curious as to what protections are offered those who have testified. We know a lot of the names but probably not all of them so far. Would LA or any of his associates be prevented or prohibited in any way from contacting those who gave GJ testiomony?

TexPat, any surprise visits lately?

Phone calls.......

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Most of the inditments will not be handed down because they will be outside statute of limitations over 6 years old so they wont stick.

No, it is generally easy to get SOL extended on several grounds, most of which are in play in this case

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dallas_ said:
Actually the subject of Bruyneel brings up even more questions. If we assume the Hog, not being a USA citizen, is a target for charges then:
Will the FEDS wait till he is on US soil again?
and can they charge a non US resident?
Or is Interpol waiting to coordinate with relevant authorities in Europe? same with Popo?
Will Belgium authorities be in the loop?
If it goes pear shaped for the Hog, will the UCI be obligated to take action? and what action can the UCI take on a DS?

and If it goes pear shaped for the Hog, the Clinic will erupt!

cheers to the Hog and our Hog

i wouldn't count on the Belgian authorities doing too much, Boonen tested positive for cocaine 3 times at it was his team who suspended him.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:

Only if they are filed.

Berzin said:

Yes. Eventually. Might be a while.

Berzin said:
Will the people who testified be free to do interviews related to what questions they were asked and how they responded?

People are free to talk about their OWN testimony, but not that of others.

Berzin said:
Will the Feds be able to serve someone like Bruyneel with papers, seeing as he is not an American citizen? Would he even have to show up with a lawyer if he lives and works in Europe and never has to come to the states?

He can be indicted. The US Attorney's office would need to determine how badly they want him. If they want him badly, they call Interpol.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
I think there is quite a bit of confusion as to what will happen when this day finally comes.

So you know that the indictments are going to be coming 100%?

Berzin said:

I am just answering in general here, I have a paralegal certificate and was going to go to law school at one time, so I do have some background before everyone jumps all over me.

Yes the charges will be made public after everyone is served. They are not kept secret. Many courts actually place the case information online, and some filings by both parties are able to be viewed.

Depending on the prosecution and the defense, a fairly full list of who is to testify has to be provided by both teams. There isn't supposed to be surprise witnesses or anything. The opposing team has to be able to get testimony, evidence, and other information to be able to question, or cross examine a given witness or expert. This list can be made public if one of the teams chooses to do so. However by looking at the charges, and the reply from the defense, you can determine who would be needed in court and then draw conclusions of who the witness list will contain.

It is up to the judge in the case in determining how the witnesses can comment. Both legal teams and the judge in cases like this meet to go over specific rules and agreements in how the case will transpire. Part of this is interviews by both parties, and by witnesses and other experts. This sometimes doesn't prevent either party, or those involved from commenting outside the rules.

Both parties can summons, subpoena, or call anyone they like. If the prosecution really wants Mike Anderson there, and he is integral to the case, they would pay his airfare, housing and the like in hopes that he would appear. In regards to Bruyneel or others of similar ilk, if they are summoned, and not appear, it is possible warrants can be issued, it's more a call of the court if that is needed. Depending on the importance of the case, authorities may ask for help from other worldwide authorities to bring certain people before the court.

Yes, in some cases protection to witnesses is offered. How good that does is another thing. Anyone involved in a case is welcome to representation as they see fit. If Bruyneel feels he needs a lawyer, or anyone else involved does, they can do so out of pocket, or if you are accused with charges against you, you may select to have the court appoint a lawyer to you.

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
frenchfry said:
I never got the feeling he is vindictive, though I don't think he would be reluctant to repeat the truth either.

I would also think he knows a lot more than about the box of steroids and the hiding from the doping tester.

Give me a break, of course he has been vindictive--have you not read the interview he gave at TDU? He went out of his way to be negative, even imagining what might happen to Armstrong, etc. He obviously hates Armstrong, and that is only logical given the circumstances surrounding his story. Besides, I believe there already was a report that Anderson testified previously. While I don't doubt the core of his story, I get the feeling he embellished the evidence as I'm sure Floyd has.

Not to change the subject, but Floyd is in fact a liar and is definitely vindictive. I believe he made up some of the stories he's told. I don't doubt there was something going on at Postal, but I believe he's making some of the details up to get revenge for following omerta and still being left out as the fall guy for the sport. He's one lost, sick puppy. Divorced, unemployed, disliked by the majority of people in cycling. I do feel bad for him, but you reap what you sow and he needs to realize that, own it and move on or else he'll wallow in it forever. At least Lemond has his loyal fan base and supposedly a clean conscience, although who knows?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts