• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What has Boom planned for this winter?

Hello. I've been a bit disconnected with cycling and with forums these last few months but as the cyclocross season is about to start again I'll just come back. :p

So what Lars Boom decided for this winter? Last year he only rode two events: Sint Michielsgestel and the Nationals. What about this season? The same. More events or no cross at all?

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
There will still be a 4 way battle but your right it doesn't sound like it will be with Boom, it will be with Tom Meeusen.

I hope Boom comes back for a few races!

Thanks Michiel for the info. Have you heard/read him say this or is it sheer guess?

Is Meeusen so good? Probably the best of his generation but Stybar and Albert had better results with the pros when they were U23. ;)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd be surprised if Boom did more than the two he did last year considering that he had to delay joining the rest of the Rabobank team after winning the Dutch cross title due to a cold. I think the cold came back at him in the Challenge Mallorca too, but yesterday after winning he said that "you will be seeing me in december in cyclocross" I dont know if he said that specifically to Sporza then it would appear as if he was planning on riding something in Belgium, maybe one of the winter cross events that aren't tied up in the classifications. I wouldn't imagine seeing him again at a GvA event like the GP Sven Nys.

Thank you, Boss. That's good news. I also don't think he will ride ranking events but it's good that he doesn't drop cross out.

I still secretly wish he will once come back 100% in the years to come when he has proved all he had to prove on the road, just like Franzoi is now back as a full time crosser.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeh I hope Boom comes back some time too. He did say once when he was interviewed alongside Adrie van der Poel that he would like to return to cyclocross full time like the way van der Poel focussed completely on cyclocross for the last six years of his career but itd be better if he came back a little earlier than that I think.
Hopefully Franzoi can get back his old form. I think he won something last year in Italy but the last time I seen him decent it was at the start of the season in 2007 when he bet Albert in a sprint in a early season cross. Last year he was fully a cyclocrosser and nothing against the big boys...not even fourth places in big events..
Meeusen was great at christmas and the belgian championships. I dont know what age he is, if hes still quite young it could be a prospect, otherwise he'll join the subtop like Pauwels, Vantournout and Wellens.

If he said that it's real good news. I think Van der Poel was still a great cross rider during his best road years, wasn't he?

Franzoi was sick in summer '09. It certainly had a negative impact on his early cross season. But now that he rides in a true cross team, it may be different.

His win against Albert was in Lebbeke (07/08). Nys was 3rd. Well some would argue that Albert is sh*t in sprints.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Boom is to ride six nice 'cross races from December to the national championships!it was on Sporza today. good news eh! What six will they be?
I'd say he'll go for mud wherever he can find it. any ideas?

id say overijse, surhuisterveen (seen as its in NL), would he do igorre? probably if it was later in the month.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts