• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What has happened to the forum????

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Post.URLMaxCount = -1 // infinite

If User.PostCount <= 10 then {
Post.Visible = False
Account.Approved = False
}
else {
Account.Approved = True
Post.Visible = True

// etc
}
It'd certainly be a dream come true if it worked anywhere near that simply.

Armchair cyclist said:
Sometimes we need to do more than simply post text and pictures.

The facility for csv tables would make for a much better presentation for those of us needing to present data such as score tables on the CQ games.

Are these impossible under this software? If not, could they please be enabled.
We can't simply "enable" something that doesn't exist, I'm afraid. If there's a high demand for this feature then we could potentially look at developing it, but it doesn't seem to be a particularly requested feature.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Microchip said:
I'm curious about the change of software for the forum. Cycling News and DV Info are (were) the two best forums I've ever come across. Readability is (was) superb. Layout and features excellent.

What is happening now is that a new application is being used which has to be renovated to look virtually like the original forum.

because the version of vbulletin they were using was full of software bugs and security holes that VB basically refused to fix, and upgrading to VB5 was not really a good plan as its also full of bugs (they fixed 300 with the first post release patch, about 600 outstanding) and is a hulking pile of turd.

they are now trying to get the security and stability of phpbb backend, to mesh with the front end usability of vB

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Some important points:
1.) Can we please have the option of "reading PM request" back. I need that option to know if my coming PMs were read to keep the GGTG running. Because if some qualified members are no more able to log-in (b/c of the... well... forum mess. Sorry, didnt find better words now. Dont wanna offend those who work hard on the new software), I have to inform replacement players some time before the Giro d Italia starts.
2.) There was a time we could see how much posts we did in a thread. That was a great option to see where I discussed a lot (and thus it was/is a good thread ;-). Please bring that option back.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Re:

Pete said:
Armchair cyclist said:
The facility for csv tables would make for a much better presentation for those of us needing to present data such as score tables on the CQ games.

Are these impossible under this software? If not, could they please be enabled.
We can't simply "enable" something that doesn't exist, I'm afraid. If there's a high demand for this feature then we could potentially look at developing it, but it doesn't seem to be a particularly requested feature.

That's why I asked whether it is possible. I didn't expect it to be a case of something that would need developing from scratch, but that it would be a fairly standard feature. VR, for example, has the facility, and does not have a set of professional developers behind it.

But if there is no willingness to have it here, this forum will simply have to remain with poorly presented tables.

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Some important points:
1.) Can we please have the option of "reading PM request" back. I need that option to know if my coming PMs were read to keep the GGTG running. Because if some qualified members are no more able to log-in (b/c of the... well... forum mess. Sorry, didnt find better words now. Dont wanna offend those who work hard on the new software), I have to inform replacement players some time before the Giro d Italia starts.
2.) There was a time we could see how much posts we did in a thread. That was a great option to see where I discussed a lot (and thus it was/is a good thread ;-). Please bring that option back.

Thanks in advance.

I believe the way PMs are now handled is they sit in your outbox until they are read. Once read they move to your sent items.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks King. If thats true, its good :)

@ "software guys": Another problem; If and when do we get our friend lists back? My list shows zero friends, yet I have/had circa 13 before the forum overhaul...

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Using the "Link" button to get an anchor link to a post is the solution for now. Unfortunately phpBB simply doesn't build individual post pages, so it's not entirely straightforward to try and change this.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Pete said:
Armchair cyclist said:
But if there is no willingness to have it here, this forum will simply have to remain with poorly presented tables.

My tables were great and coloured. I did the best out of the (former) possible ;-)

But I admit, I have no idea how the coming GGTG edition will look like :-(

I think it might be possible to construct a table using a code block (BBCode "code"), as it features fixed width and retains additional white spaces. See for instance this post. It's not as user-friendly as a table editor, but it enables you to have seperated columns. However, as it's a code block, it does not proces font color codes, but rather displays the code, so you won't be able to color format anything. It might be a work around, but it's not ideal.

If it's possible to enable alternative fonts, such as "courier new" with white space retention (or a "code block" alternative that is fixed width with whitespace retention but still processes BBCode), then we can start to make decent tables again. The only thing it would lack are borders. (But enabling background color would fix that, as it would allow us to color columns.)

If you're interested, I might be able to provide you with a script (preferably in python) that translates a csv-file to a fixed-width column table with a specified seperation width. Then you can make and export tables from excel to .csv, run the script and copy-paste the restulting code block into your post.

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

@ "software guys": Another problem; If and when do we get our friend lists back? My list shows zero friends, yet I have/had circa 13 before the forum overhaul...

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, feel free to send me a PM and I'll let it sit for a day then read it so you can test it out.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, feel free to send me a PM and I'll let it sit for a day then read it so you can test it out.

Ok, I will try now. Let my PM stay un-read for a day. Thanks in advance. :)

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

Jspear said:
lemon cheese cake said:
Beech Mtn said:
When we click on a link, it would be nice if it opened in a new tab, instead of taking us off the forum.
Seconed by me.

3rded by me. :p
And it isn't consistent. Sometimes it opens another tab and other times it takes me off the forum.

To all - this is something I've already passed over to a developer so there should be a fix already in the pipeline.

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
This is actually in place, but it isn't possible to make it retrospective. If you create a link using the BBcode [ url ] tags now, it will open in a new tab.

Example.

Existing links prior to this change may not open in a new tab, depending on how they were created on the old forum software.