• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is cycling TV coverage like where you live?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have satellite so I get to see pretty much anything. Belgian channels, Bask channels, Volta Portugal, Eurosport. I can see pretty much any race that has any tv coverage except in South America.

Tugboat said:
Sky Sports in New Zealand is getting better with its coverage...

Last year we had (from memory)...

- Daily highlights of TDU and live coverage of the final stage,
- Live coverage of ToC with evening highlights and rebroadcast of last hour or two of each stage
- 1/2hr highlights of L-B-L
- 1hr highlights of P-R
- Live coverage of every stage of the TDF with evening highlights and rebroadcast of last hour or two of each stage
- Daily highlights of the Vuelta
- Daily highlights of the Tour of Britain
- daily highlights of the Tour of Southland

This year so far...

- Highlights of the NZ Road Nationals
- Daily highlights of the TDU and live coverage of the Willunga stage and delayed coverage of the final stage (would have been live if there wasn't cricket on).
- Highlights of the Tour of Wellington
- Highlights of the Tour of Qatar
- Highlights of the Tour of Oman
- Live coverage (every stage) of Paris-Nice + rebroadcast of the last 2hrs of each stage and evening highlights
- Highlights of the Track Worlds
- Delayed coverage of P-R (next monday morning) + rebroadcast of the last 2hrs.

Expecting to also get coverage of:

ToC (every stage live)
TDF (every stage live)
Vuelta (highlights)
Road worlds (maybe live)
and maybe other race highlights eg L-B-L.

Now confirmed, Sky in NZ is also broadcasting coverage (in addition to the above):
Fleche Wallone,
L-B-L
Tour of Romandie
Tour of Switzerland
Dauphine Libere
Paris-Tours

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Coverage? What coverage?

I live in Sweden. From eurosport we get an hour of most stages in the three GTs, most of the classics and thats it.

Luckily there is a dutch torrent site that is quite handy :D

craig1985 said:
I'm not taking into account online streams. ATM I have cable TV, and recently we got Eurosport, and it has done wonders for my viewing of races that SBS won/can't show. They have done Tour of Qatar, Paris - Nice, T - A, MSR, and then the last four hours live of the RVV, and they will be covering Roubaix. I quite enjoy watching the Eurosport coverage, because even though they mentioned Lance's name a few times in the RVV coverage, it wasn't Phil Liggert and Paul Sherwin commentating, and not like how they do it every five minutes, as if it is a contractual obligation.

SBS here do the TDU, where the last two stages live, various European races and have 1 hour highlights of either stage or one day races. They show 20 minute highlights of stages of the Giro and the Vuelta, and every stage of the Tour live. But this year they have grabbed live coverage of a stage at the Tour of California (facepalm.jpg).

Eurosport will cover the Giro, the Ardennes Classics, the TOC, TdF, and the Vuelta.

Cable TV FTW.

Yeah, just discovering the benefits of Eurosport. I am getting to see more & more cycling live, something I didn't think possible 10 years ago.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm not taking into account online streams. ATM I have cable TV, and recently we got Eurosport, and it has done wonders for my viewing of races that SBS won/can't show. They have done Tour of Qatar, Paris - Nice, T - A, MSR, and then the last four hours live of the RVV, and they will be covering Roubaix. I quite enjoy watching the Eurosport coverage, because even though they mentioned Lance's name a few times in the RVV coverage, it wasn't Phil Liggert and Paul Sherwin commentating, and not like how they do it every five minutes, as if it is a contractual obligation.

SBS here do the TDU, where the last two stages live, various European races and have 1 hour highlights of either stage or one day races. They show 20 minute highlights of stages of the Giro and the Vuelta, and every stage of the Tour live. But this year they have grabbed live coverage of a stage at the Tour of California (facepalm.jpg).

Eurosport will cover the Giro, the Ardennes Classics, the TOC, TdF, and the Vuelta.

Cable TV FTW.

I'm pretty sure it is ALL stages of TOC live on SBS. 1/2 hour highlights of the giro and possibly a live stage if all is going well for cadel in the final week!

TV in USA

I live near Philadelphia, USA which is, as they say, Comcast country. (comcast is a major cable tv provider for much of the US and is headquartered in Philly)

I get Versus and accept the LA obsession as a tolerable trade off for The tdf in HD. they're coverage of other events is spotty and usually far too tape delayed.

Universal Sports has provided good or at least acceptable coverage of other grand tours, classics, and various world championships. There's less of an LA obsession but no HD at the moment.

I sometimes fill in the gaps with online streaming, thru cyclingfans website I was even able to watch live coverage of giro while at work last year.

The real reason for my post is to say that what many in the US might not realize is that the parent company Comcast owns Versus and bought/merged with NBC Universal late last year. This means that one company is something of a monopoly on cycling TV coverage at the moment which is kinda scary. I am hoprful however that it will benefit many US viewers as Comcast seems to be embracing bike racing.

It might not seem like it but I AM optimistic. Comcast appears to be taking a chance on cycling and other sports outside of the mainstream with their broadcasting line-up. According to a story on cyclingnews about a week ago Comcast has recently announced a multi-year partnership with the Philly International (a long running one-day race which often attracts protour teams, used to be US national road race championship). This demonstrates an enthusiasm for televising events that range from the international level all the way down to the local level.

I hope they are successful/profitable and it means a higher quality of broadcast and expanded coverage. If not, and they decide to go in another direction, they could instantly and single-handedly make cycling tv coverage dissappear for many US customers. Direct TV customers are well aware of how inconvenient TV rights battles can be.

The future is streaming from the pc/laptop/internet to the big screen in your living room but we're probably 5-10 years away from this technology's ubiquity in high definition. (unless you own a PS3 or similarly capable and often expensive device) Until then, Comcast will be a major player.

If you read this and are saying I don't have Comcast or I don't even live in the US...who cares? Even European advertisers/sponsors love to get in front of overspending American eyeballs. It will be a factor in how the sport continues down a path of globalization.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately here in Brazil, there's almost any coverage of cycling events, only the Tour de France, by ESPN. Last year they aired Paris-Roubaix as well, but they won't this year :mad:

This bad coverage is not reserved for cycling only. Several other sports don't have the coverage they deserve, which is a shame.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
I´m in Spain and on this side of the Atlantic there is more coverage than you could ever imagine. Besides live which can be anywhere from the last hour of a race to two or three as it was yesterday with Flanders, there is an hour or so of repeat both late the same night and then again early the next morning and sometimes again during the week. If any such race is won by a Spanish rider, there will be many more repeats during the week and even throughout the season.

Having said that and without complaining, cycling is a distant second to football (soccer), which dominates all sports channels here (including CNN)as if there are no others. It can take an eternity to wait through the football coverage before they get to the other less important sports; golf, tennis, rugby, basketball and finally cycling.

Oh yeah, most of the coverage is in Spanish (unless it´s on Eurosport 2), but that´s cool. The commentators definitely know their stuff and for the big races you´ll sometimes have Pedro Delgado among others.

Don't expect the football thing to change come June. Spain are red thot favourites to win the world cup. I'll be surprised if they don't make the final, nay win the final. I don't see the World Cup helping cycling even if Contador is racing...though July is the off season so it should calm down during the Tour.