• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is more worse than ...

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
For me the only tactic more worse than a 'good' team putting one of their no chance to win 'domestiques' in a break and then not working in the peleton to take it up to the break is one of those 'bludgers' that get into a break then don't do any work for the last 10 km or so then sprint for the win, mark

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
And my father was an English - History master, but you did comprehend ..
and Spalco, no argument, but in a big break there's outsiders (no-chances) that drop off near the end when the others take off, no?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
markjohnconley said:
For me the only tactic more worse than a 'good' team putting one of their no chance to win 'domestiques' in a break and then not working in the peleton to take it up to the break is one of those 'bludgers' that get into a break then don't do any work for the last 10 km or so then sprint for the win, mark
So, it's called tactics, sunshine.

If there's a break with one rider not working and the others don't deal with that rider, more fool them. The whole point is to force your opponents to do the work so you can profit from it. Riders just motoring off the front legitimately is rare.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ah oh wise one, how do they deal with them? as i've seen a fair few over the years and the most I've seen is a senior rider drops back and lambasts them, scary!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
markjohnconley said:
Ah oh wise one, how do they deal with them? as i've seen a fair few over the years and the most I've seen is a senior rider drops back and lambasts them, scary!
Leaving a gap and forcing the passenger to jump round to close said gap repeatedly..

Problem is you don't seem to realise that the win is all that matters to a sponsor. The photo in the paper is of the winner, together with the sponsor's name in the caption. Rarely any prominent mention of the others at all.

Have a read of Les Woodland's Racing to Win It explains all about disruption in breaks & the peloton.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So this is acceptable, admired even, and yet when a team's domestiques ride on the front the team is criticised, I don't get it; and no I'm not a Sky supporter, mark

It is not admired, and I'm sure if you do it several times, the other riders will take notice. The pro cycling world is quite small. Surely, being unpopular for being a lazy ***** in breaks will decrease your job prospects in the future,; at least unless you actually win frequently, like Voeckler.

You're not alone in your reasoning. Many have similar sentiments when seeing a wheelsucker pinch the win from people doing most of the work.

Mostly hear it from people new to watching cycling. (dunno if you are)
Just remember this is professional sports. Ain't much room for gallantry in a dog eat dog world.

Personally I wouldn't want it any other way. Just remember to be happy when the 'deserved' winner actually wins.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
A little info Mark
Disruption1.jpg

Disruption2.jpg

Disruption3.jpg

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
markjohnconley said:

There's nothing more worse than being taken out the back of a break cos you're not working.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The other thing you seem to be overlooking is that a rider can only get away with using this tactic once in a while. Otherwise, what goes around, comes around........

Watch stage 8 of the 2009 Tour de France for lessons in how to do it and how not to do it. You had a quartet off the front - Luís León Sánchez, Sandy Casar, Mikel Astarloza and Vladimir Efimkin.

Over the 40km run-in from the final climb to the finish, the four started relaying to maintain their advantage, but very soon Efimkin was shirking his turns. He just stayed at the back while the other three took turns, and managed to annoy the other break riders, who had words with him, shook their heads, tried to ease up to make him take the pace etc., but Efimkin would not be convinced. He eventually set off solo with a few kilometres to go, much to the annoyance of the others (Casar in particular), and they worked to bring him back. Luís León Sánchez took a few relays, but fewer than Casar and Astarloza. His shoulders were rolling, he was gurning like crazy, clearly suffering, but he was taking turns when he was able - it just wasn't as often as the other two, who were fresher. Casar and Astarloza didn't remonstrate with Luísle, because he was clearly TRYING to help, he just didn't have it.

Then they caught Efimkin, and Sánchez dashed away for the stage win, because he'd been bluffing.

markjohnconley said:
And my father was an English - History master, but you did comprehend ..
and Spalco, no argument, but in a big break there's outsiders (no-chances) that drop off near the end when the others take off, no?

Part of the purpose in having a rider in a break is so that your team doesn't have to work and your opponents' teams that are unrepresented in the break have to decide whether or not the break and its contents are threat to their own goals and whether make the effort to reel it in.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ultimobici, interesting read.
I've been watching road races for ~20 years. I take 2 weeks holiday every year to stay up at night and watch the tour. Lots of favourites, Voigt at the top of my list.
Never raced myself, wrong body type, played rugby.
In that 2009 tour stage I was rooting for Casar/Astarloza, disappointed with Sanchez and pi**ed off with Efimkin.
To many more years watching the greatest sport there is, mark