• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

what is the Best bang for buck Road bike (-$2200)

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for my first road bike to get into amature racing ( i'm an old BMX guy) I tested a cannondale six carbon 5 / Trek Madone 4.5 and a Specialized Roubaix. Help!!! I want to go riding this weekend and cant make up my mind

nyccvs said:
I'm looking for my first road bike to get into amature racing ( i'm an old BMX guy) I tested a cannondale six carbon 5 / Trek Madone 4.5 and a Specialized Roubaix. Help!!! I want to go riding this weekend and cant make up my mind

Often you buy the bike shop more than the bike..which provides real bike fitting complete with hbar/stem/saddle swaps if needed? PLUS ride quality is 100% subjective but ya gotta do a fairly long test ride. All bikes feel good when ridden around the block.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
nyccvs said:

Note the the Roubaix is a "sportive" bike - as I understand it the Allez is the out-and-out race bike in the Specialized line. Many other manufacturers do something similar (Giant has the Defy sportive line, and the TCR race bikes, for instance). A sportive bike is a bit more comfortable and less twitchy, but less stiff (which supposedly matters in hard acceleration).

The differences are subtle, and you can race a sportive bike - plenty of people do. But you should probably give both a try to see which style you prefer.

Rest assured that whatever bike you buy you will a) start dreaming of bits and pieces to add to it, b) you'll want a brand new bike, and c) neither a nor b will make you go substantially better in races!