• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is with Cadel's TT position?

Could he get his hands any lower? When it seems that others are trying to get their hands up as far as the UCI will allow -- more like a skier's tuck -- Evans looks like he's got his hands down chasing after chickens in the farmyard.

Has anyone else thought this? It seems so un-aero. I can't believe this is fast in the wind tunnel -- he's one giant air scoop.

I'm a fan of Evans and no Steve Hed, but it makes me cringe thinking of the time he's giving away with this position.

295736-cadel-evans.jpg

82084211-280-75.jpg

439x.jpg

tdf_2010_st19_evans.jpg

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I have heard from "good sources" that his position has indeed been tested and re-tested and is the most aero, whilst maintaining excellent power, for HIM. Apparently he can get more aero but the power drops too much.

He also has really long arms for his height, another factor to the mega low front end.

Given his usually very good TT results I think the position seems to work well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
yep - in rockclimbing we referred to it as 'Ape factor' - the ratio of arm span to height.

Anyway, look at the overlap of his elbow and knee now. It would be difficult to build a legal position using the other high hand style, with those arms.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ape

He looks like his bars are too low and his stem is too short, but you can't argue with his results. He is no Kristin Armstrong. Now there is a TT position.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Them bars are main cause they look low but in fact they are just same as some others.

the cups arev sloping down at the front so you can get the hand around the bars

they seem to pull your body forward a bit too much for me. out of balance but what works for some is horrible for others.
aero if good but comfort is also needed

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
He also has really long arms for his height, another factor to the mega low front end.

Given his usually very good TT results I think the position seems to work well.

Pretty much correct from what I have read. By his own admission he has odd upper body dimensions and it's a real battle getting a TT bike to fit. I guess you have to make do and constantly refine what will fit.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
yeah his arms are quite long... but his TT position is perfect for HIM... if we look at his results we'll see it...

his TT position is quite acceptable... but Andy Schleck has a really "painful" position... I don't like it at all...

One of the things that I really like about Cadel is his climbing style... I know that is not natural but I like it =D

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i think his arms are the issue as they are genuinly massive! I think it is a testimony to Evans that he has the athleticism and agility to overcome this issue to a major extent

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
The last two photos of Cadel on his time trial bike look like they were taken at this year's Tour when he was riding with a broken elbow, so aren't particularly representative. He wasn't getting down as far as he usually would and his hands were sitting about 5-10cm back from the end of the aerobars.

Ryaguas said:
yeah his arms are quite long... but his TT position is perfect for HIM... if we look at his results we'll see it...

his TT position is quite acceptable... but Andy Schleck has a really "painful" position... I don't like it at all...

One of the things that I really like about Cadel is his climbing style... I know that is not natural but I like it =D

Agree +1 Ryaguas,and he climbs a bit like Mancebo all power not much syle,but affective.....

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Them bars are main cause they look low but in fact they are just same as some others.

the cups arev sloping down at the front so you can get the hand around the bars

they seem to pull your body forward a bit too much for me. out of balance but what works for some is horrible for others.
aero if good but comfort is also needed

hmm, i doubt there are many if any with Cadel's specific position, i read somewhere (this site i think) some time ago that his TT bikes need to be extremely tailored for this position, presenting a decent challenge to the engineers.

That said, +1 with everyone who's noted this is what works for him.

I do wish he'd learn to dance on the pedals a bit when he climbs, but granted when he powered to the win on the Strade Bianche this year.....choice :)

TRENDING THREADS