• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Mag was I buying?

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
It's been years since I have purchase any type of cycling magazine. The last time I set my *** on a bike was 1990. I am tying to remember the Oversize magazine that I use to buy in the US back at that time covering professional cycling. Only thing I remember it was twice the size of a normal magazine.

RightWingNutJob said:
It's been years since I have purchase any type of cycling magazine. The last time I set my *** on a bike was 1990. I am tying to remember the Oversize magazine that I use to buy in the US back at that time covering professional cycling. Only thing I remember it was twice the size of a normal magazine.

Velonews. Printed on newsprint.

It is not the same anymore.

RightWingNutJob said:
Thanks. Was a great magazine to read. Considering the coverage of cycling in the US was pretty much non existent.

I remember reading Bob Roll's articles in Velonews. It is too bad Versus does not allow him to be himself. It would be hilarious to have Roll and Horner commentating with no FCC restrictions. No grooming restrictions either. Bring back the lamb chops.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I remember reading Bob Roll's articles in Velonews. It is too bad Versus does not allow him to be himself. It would be hilarious to have Roll and Horner commentating with no FCC restrictions. No grooming restrictions either. Bring back the lamb chops.

Gotta love Bob Roll. Lol. He is a trip. I'll have to look next time I'm back home to see if I have any Velonews up in the closet.

I still have one from I believe 1988 after Delgado won the Tour. Great the long list of races and events state by state in there.

Anyone remember the ads for Ten Speed Drive imports? RCA Cycles? How about Branford Bike and Colorado Cyclist who are still around?!

Still have some copies of Winning from further back than that I think.

A

Anonymous

RightWingNutJob said:

Its called "Gent," but I think its off the shelves now.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I still have one from I believe 1988 after Delgado won the Tour. Great the long list of races and events state by state in there.

Anyone remember the ads for Ten Speed Drive imports? RCA Cycles? How about Branford Bike and Colorado Cyclist who are still around?!

Still have some copies of Winning from further back than that I think.

I still get copies of Colorado Cyclist sent to me. Excel Sports also. :p Nothing beat the old Bikeology catalogs.

Unless my parents have thrown them out, somewhere I have a huge stack of old Velonews, Winning, and Triathlete magazines. I should also have a large stack of old Bicycling magazines from the time when they had decent writers.

When did Velonews start going down hill?