• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What now for Cadel Evans?

Where to now for Cadel? He was given full support by BMC for the Giro but does not seem to have his prior level - probably age related. Should he retire or ride on for another year or two but with lesser, more realistic ambitions?

1. Target possible podium at the 2014 Vuelta ?
2. Do the Vuelta as prep for the 2014 worlds?
3. Ride domestique for someone else in GTs and focus on hilly one day races like Giro di Lombardia or hilly Worlds courses ?
4. Move to OGE?
5. Retire ?
6. Other (describe) ?

I hope he does not retire. I want him to keep riding until he is 45 or so. He is such a pleasure to see. I love his peculiar bike position. And, above everything, his panache. Always, always gives it all. Cadel, one of cycling's true living legends.

As far as this year is concerned, I'd like to see him do the canadian classics and then the Worlds.

His contract is expiring, so unless Orica wants him I see him renewing with BMC or retiring

He definitely won't leave for a smaller team, that's not him.

Vino attacks everyone said:
I wish he was still good enough to make me care :p

I love how the australian fans yelled at us that we should 'respect' Evans just because we said he wasn't going to win, yet they showed the ultimate disrespect by disappearing off the face of the forum the second he showed he wasn't going to win.

As for race calendar, Piva has reiterated the early season claims. Evans will do the Vuelta.

In before identical thread is started during/after la Vuelta. I don't see him winning anything that involves big climbs, and his tt'ing has faded a bit. Maybe he can win some hilly classics, but the chances of winning are very small

Truth be told, he never had a real team to back him up.
Sanchez will lead BMC in the Vuelta.
If Evans doesn't agree to back up Van Garderen in TdF 2015, he won't accept either to back up Samuel Sanchez or any other guy, so I guess GTs are done for him.

1. Target possible podium at the 2014 Vuelta? NO!! There are way to many mountains for him to do anything significant there.
3. Ride domestique for someone else in GTs and focus on hilly one day races like Giro di Lombardia or hilly Worlds courses ? I'd like to see him ride the Canadian races and then the Worlds
4. Move to OGE? That would be kinda cool. Does anyone know - has OGE shown any interest in him? Whatever he does he should give up on GT gc racing.
5. Retire ? No, I think he can still compete in the week long stage races and also in hilly classics. And he could be a mentor to young riders coming up.

lenric said:
Truth be told, he never had a real team to back him up.
Sanchez will lead BMC in the Vuelta.
If Evans doesn't agree to back up Van Garderen in TdF 2015, he won't accept either to back up Samuel Sanchez or any other guy, so I guess GTs are done for him.

He had a real team at this Giro. It doesn't matter how strong your team is though. If you are weak in the mountains, that's your problem not your teams. His climbing abilities were his greatest weakness in the final week, not his team.

Focus one season around Lombardia and Liege. It doesn't matter if he wastes the season in the process, it's not like it'll make a difference career/contract wise.
Also ride the cobbled monuments just for fun.
And then retire. And please don't become a DS.

icefire said:
He's got the skills to be BMC's PR

Nick Gates says most people can't stand to spend a few minutes around him, why the heck would anyone pay him to talk for a living? :p

That reminds me of Gates' stories about Evans. My favorites are the one where Cadel brings a wine bottle to dinner as a gift 'for being a good domestique', drinks most of it himself and takes it when he leaves;
and the one where after 25 minutes of Cadel complaining about how stuffy it is in the car, Henk Vogels snaps 'OH MY F***ING GOD MATE IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP I'LL SHUT YOU UP' :D

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
GuyIncognito said:
Nick Gates says most people can't stand to spend a few minutes around him, why the heck would anyone pay him to talk for a living? :p

That reminds me of Gates' stories about Evans. My favorites are the one where Cadel brings a wine bottle to dinner as a gift 'for being a good domestique', drinks most of it himself and takes it when he leaves;
and the one where after 25 minutes of Cadel complaining about how stuffy it is in the car, Henk Vogels snaps 'OH MY F***ING GOD MATE IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP I'LL SHUT YOU UP' :D

oh dear... I forgot the smily :D

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Regarding this season - the Worlds and Lombardia including some preparation races.
Regarding career - a season in the domestic team would be a nice conclusion.

Jspear said:
He had a real team at this Giro. It doesn't matter how strong your team is though. If you are weak in the mountains, that's your problem not your teams. His climbing abilities were his greatest weakness in the final week, not his team.

True, but I'm saying through most of his career, his team never really backed him up.
But I agree with you, he underperformed because he simply wasn't good enough.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think the same now as I did before the Giro, Guys like Evans and Sanchez were great, still very good and have the capacity to ride top 10 Giro and Vuelta and top 15 Tour. Evans can keep riding, but needs to reassess his goals and tactics. Possible roles, one day racer, road captain, super domestique, stage hunter, and only think about GC after a successful break nets 10-15 minutes.

I suppose the next question is which team. Super domestique for someone unproven seems a little rich, Not going to be a spainard, so that leaves italians, and anglos, probably prefer Astana for Nibali over Sky for Froome.

Why should he stop doing GT's, he is still top ten, generates huge amount of publicity for the team and once again was back in pink.

No reason he shouldnt do the Vuelta. He mighten win it, but then again, most of the others wont either.

Hugh

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dom for Tejay at GT's, target wins/high placings in some week long stage races (like Trentino), maybe go for a couple one days as plan B to guys like Gilbert or GVA.

Evans has aged out of the major tours.

He can't/won't settle for one day races-besides, they was never his forté. One-week stage races are for grand tour preparations, not races targeted by older cyclists riding on fumes.

The new generation, barring any type of mishaps or sheer idiocy a la José Rujano, are upon us now.

Time to let Evans go and look towards the future. As for mentoring younger riders, he can do that from a team car. No need for him to take a place on a team that can go to a younger rider.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Archibald said:
Evans is too old? Pfffft... He's got a few years left at GT level, just ask Pappy Horner...
Maybe a move to Lampre?

Really?
Well I guess you missed the Giro this year buddy. He have no more time, time is up.

He won't leave BMC if he continues. He is happy there. He will never be a domestique full time even though it is rumoured he is going to the Vuelta. Even if he does target shorter races what happens to GVA and Gilbert who would be the leaders. Once again he would probably be a domestiqe. Can't see him being satisfied with the short stage races either. Retiring would make more sense and it would be ridiculous for BMC to keep paying Evans good money if he isn't going to ride GTs. Trouble is he can't podium them anymore. Stage wins or domestique duties only.

Top 10s are meaningless to someone like Evans. He has 11 of them. Only podiums matter to him. He has plenty of thinking to do. I don't understand why BMC want him to ride the TDS after a hard Giro. Seems crazy to me. If he does not do the Vuelta he should do the Canadian races and the Worlds. He could also do the ENECO before that if needed.

movingtarget said:
He won't leave BMC if he continues. He is happy there. He will never be a domestique full time even though it is rumoured he is going to the Vuelta. Even if he does target shorter races what happens to GVA and Gilbert who would be the leaders. Once again he would probably be a domestiqe. Can't see him being satisfied with the short stage races either. Retiring would make more sense and it would be ridiculous for BMC to keep paying Evans good money if he isn't going to ride GTs. Trouble is he can't podium them anymore. Stage wins or domestique duties only.

Top 10s are meaningless to someone like Evans. He has 11 of them. Only podiums matter to him. He has plenty of thinking to do. I don't understand why BMC want him to ride the TDS after a hard Giro. Seems crazy to me. If he does not do the Vuelta he should do the Canadian races and the Worlds. He could also do the ENECO before that if needed.

Why wouldnt they send one their top riders to Tour Suisse, Although based in USA, I believe BMC are Swiss Coy .

No reason he couldnt win it after two weeks rest. While he faded in last week, still has pretty good form and always gives 100%.

Cycling is business first and foremost and Cadel is a Professional Cyclist who is paid to represent the team regardless as to whether he can win or not.

Who else would you send who would have a higher profile for the team?

Hugh

TRENDING THREADS