• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What now for Cadel Evans?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hughmoore said:
Why should he stop doing GT's, he is still top ten, generates huge amount of publicity for the team and once again was back in pink.

Evans himself is not even pleased with his top 10

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-reflects-on-his-giro-ditalia-and-his-future

hughmoore said:
No reason he shouldnt do the Vuelta. He mighten win it, but then again, most of the others wont either.
Hugh

He'll ride against the same competitors who beat him at the Giro plus Purito, Dan Martin, Papi Horner, Valverde, Contador, Betancur.... he has NO chance at all.

Evans is facing the dilemma of an aging champion: Once a rider has tasted glory/become a champion as he did few years past- there is no consolation in merely making top 10 -even if the result is superb for a rider of his age- there is even more difficult to cope with failure & the questions/hesitations about carrying on are starting to appear louder than ever...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This Giro was Evans' last chance at a GT--for the past couple years he had that virus and a number of things went wrong. This was the year where he trained for this race, everything went right, perfect, steady preparation, everything that could be asked for from a pre-tour build up. Then he arrived at the race with the best supporting team he's ever had, avoided all the crashes in the first week--all of which means that when he started to slide down placings in the second week he had absolutely no excuses. He's just too old to compete in the GTs (Evans, unlike Horner who gets better decade by decade, is mortal). If you've been a GT contender, what's the point of staying in because you can "still finish in the top 10!" And as for racing the monuments--there'll always be someone at the finish line who can out sprint Cadel. Sure, he could stay around for another year or so and win a small race or two and maybe get a top ten in one of the hilly classics, but if you've been a champion, what's the point?

Cadel's had a good career. It's time for him to retire.

I say this, by the way, as a fan. Watching that slime Valverde beat him in the 2009 Vuelta was one of the low points of recent cycling. I really hoped he'd add another GT to his palmares and at the start of the Giro was naive enough to think this might be it.

Wallace said:
Sure, he could stay around for another year or so and win a small race or two and maybe get a top ten in one of the hilly classics, but if you've been a champion, what's the point?

Cadel's had a good career. It's time for him to retire.

Whats the point, maybe he enjoys it and it give lots of forum guys someone to hate!

Hugh

hughmoore said:
Why wouldnt they send one their top riders to Tour Suisse, Although based in USA, I believe BMC are Swiss Coy .

No reason he couldnt win it after two weeks rest. While he faded in last week, still has pretty good form and always gives 100%.

Cycling is business first and foremost and Cadel is a Professional Cyclist who is paid to represent the team regardless as to whether he can win or not.

Who else would you send who would have a higher profile for the team?

Hugh

I meant that if he is doing the Vuelta as rumoured I think the TDS would be too much too soon. Sure business has it's say. They don't have to go for GC at TDS. Could just go for stages instead.

He still got legs in him for week long stages and possibly being a super dom for a few years to tejay and gilbert, however I seriously doubt he can get in the top 5 of a gt, maybe a top 10 though.

I don't want him to retire, but it seems to me like he will never be winning at world tour level again, so it's probably the best option for him.

hughmoore said:
Why should he stop doing GT's, he is still top ten, generates huge amount of publicity for the team and once again was back in pink.

No reason he shouldnt do the Vuelta. He mighten win it, but then again, most of the others wont either.

Hugh

'He mighten win it' is a bit of an understatement. I would even make a bet that he won't get top 10 overall. With 9th here, he will be older and probably at this age recovers slower than the younger riders, the competition will be higher too.

Also, he can still gain the pink in the first week of a gt due to bmc's ttt, his tt abilities and because he's very consistent and doesn't lose stupid time here and there in the first week. He can also get over those first few hill / med mountain stages well, but the second they hit the proper mountains he's gone, and for someone like Evans and with his palmares it will never be satisfying for him, fighting for and possibly not even achieving a top 10.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Nobody should live and rely on past palmera´s, it´s not a pretty sight for anyone. If Evans wish to give something back to the sport he should take care of the young talents and use his experience that way.

Stepping back to being a super dom for T J is not the answer, I would rather see him doing talents work, or maybe even a job as DS or manager.

Always stop on top, don´t squeeze the lemon to hard, it gives a bitter taste.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Archibald said:
and i guess you missed last year's Vuelta :rolleyes:

No I didn´t miss anything, but you seems to do.
Read my past post.

Don´t live on past palmera´s....his own words today: "I gave my very best, all I had, in this Giro"

So you can roll all the eyes you desire mate, you seem to forget it´s an old man who past his prime, what he did in 2012 or 2013 is history, and this history will never repeat it self ever again.

GuyIncognito said:
His contract is expiring, so unless Orica wants him I see him renewing with BMC or retiring

He definitely won't leave for a smaller team, that's not him.

I love how the australian fans yelled at us that we should 'respect' Evans just because we said he wasn't going to win, yet they showed the ultimate disrespect by disappearing off the face of the forum the second he showed he wasn't going to win.

As for race calendar, Piva has reiterated the early season claims. Evans will do the Vuelta.

I wonder where on earth ACF dissappeared to. I remember acf was ****ed at Kelderman who noted Evans got his lead thanks to a happy accident. Now Evans didn't even manage to finish in front of him. Gone is ACF

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Me thinks old father time has caught up with Cadel Evans and perhaps he should accept that the glory days are over. If he wants to continue for a few years OK, but no more pretending he's number one. Let someone else be team leader or retire.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Jspear said:
1. Target possible podium at the 2014 Vuelta? NO!! There are way to many mountains for him to do anything significant there.
3. Ride domestique for someone else in GTs and focus on hilly one day races like Giro di Lombardia or hilly Worlds courses ? I'd like to see him ride the Canadian races and then the Worlds
4. Move to OGE? That would be kinda cool. Does anyone know - has OGE shown any interest in him? Whatever he does he should give up on GT gc racing.
5. Retire ? No, I think he can still compete in the week long stage races and also in hilly classics. And he could be a mentor to young riders coming up.

he had a chance to win the Vuelta a number of years back but was thwarted by some biased neutral support vehicles

after that he indicated he wouldnt be back at the Vuelta

definitely a race he could've won even after riding the tour at his best had all other things been equal

BigMac said:
I hope he does not retire. I want him to keep riding until he is 45 or so. He is such a pleasure to see. I love his peculiar bike position. And, above everything, his panache. Always, always gives it all. Cadel, one of cycling's true living legends.

As far as this year is concerned, I'd like to see him do the canadian classics and then the Worlds.

I've taken to respecting Evans over the years but still I don't get this emphasis many here place on how he always works hard and gives 110%. At this level I'd to say virtually everyone is working hard and giving their best effort. Evans isn't the exception. His style on the bike IMO gives the illusion that he's working harder than all around him.

lenric said:
Truth be told, he never had a real team to back him up.
Sanchez will lead BMC in the Vuelta.
If Evans doesn't agree to back up Van Garderen in TdF 2015, he won't accept either to back up Samuel Sanchez or any other guy, so I guess GTs are done for him.

He had Morabito and Sanchez this year and the entire team supporting him. Morabito was actually in better form in the first 2 weeks of the Giro. "Never" is an exaggeration. I agree he should be done with grand tours, at least in terms of the gc. I can't see him content being a domestique for someone for 3weeks, especially not TVG. I can see him riding at most one more year and then retiring.

movingtarget said:
He won't leave BMC if he continues. He is happy there. He will never be a domestique full time even though it is rumoured he is going to the Vuelta. Even if he does target shorter races what happens to GVA and Gilbert who would be the leaders. Once again he would probably be a domestiqe. Can't see him being satisfied with the short stage races either. Retiring would make more sense and it would be ridiculous for BMC to keep paying Evans good money if he isn't going to ride GTs. Trouble is he can't podium them anymore. Stage wins or domestique duties only.

Top 10s are meaningless to someone like Evans. He has 11 of them. Only podiums matter to him. He has plenty of thinking to do. I don't understand why BMC want him to ride the TDS after a hard Giro. Seems crazy to me. If he does not do the Vuelta he should do the Canadian races and the Worlds. He could also do the ENECO before that if needed.

That makes absolutely no sense, especially considering his form seemed to drop as the Giro proceeded. Puzzling. I wonder are they reconsidering?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
lenric said:
Truth be told, he never had a real team to back him up.
Sanchez will lead BMC in the Vuelta.
If Evans doesn't agree to back up Van Garderen in TdF 2015, he won't accept either to back up Samuel Sanchez or any other guy, so I guess GTs are done for him.

That is a terrible idea. Sanchez showed in the giro that he is out there for himself - he was probably visible once at the front on a high categorised climb for Cadel. Bottom line is, if he wants respect that comes from being a team leader he needs to earn it first. :rolleyes:

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Angliru said:
I've taken to respecting Evans over the years but still I don't get this emphasis many here place on how he always works hard and gives 110%. At this level I'd to say virtually everyone is working hard and giving their best effort. Evans isn't the exception. His style on the bike IMO gives the illusion that he's working harder than all around him.

continued one tour with a broken collarbone and another with a broken wrist

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
"Evan's can't hang with the top 5-10 in big mountain stages. Because of this, he should retire."

If we say this about evans, why shouldn't 95% of the peloton retire?

Just because evans is 36? Wow, talk about ageism.

Just because he used to be better? His palmares are irrelevant when it comes to what to do about his future.

Evans seems to enjoy doing the big stage races. If that's what he wants to do, and he has a team to support him, why should we hate on the guy for not winning, but doing well and finishing in the top 10? Maybe he would find more success (i.e. wins) if he focused on smaller races or one-day classics, but it seems like that is not what he wants to do.

TRENDING THREADS