• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

what oil should i buy

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
i'm totally new to cycling, i bought a giant scr1 bike and it's a total pleasure to ride. i'd like to look after it as it cost me to much not to. the confusing thing is what oil should i use to keep my bike in shape. do i need different kinds of oil for different parts of the bike? i won't be taking it apart or anything, just oiling the bits i can see.i'd like something that doesn't turn everything into a black mess. forgive my ignorance like i said i'm a total novice. and a girl so i don't know much about these things!!!! can anyone help:D

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I suggest using the Finish Line Pro Road Oil if that's available to you.

As for your chain not turning black, you have to make sure you remove most of the lubricant you'll be putting on on your chain. Leaving too much on the chain will turn it into a black mess. Don't put oil on anything else but the chain, leave the rest to the mechanics.

Finaly, maybe you should try the Bike & Gear section of this forum to get answers from others as well.

TRENDING THREADS