• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should happen after today?

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if the riders protest if not this time, next time it happens, you can see they and everyone else have almost had enough. That's a way to force a change

Oliwright said:
Edited by mod

So, who's responsible for today? What should Sky and BMC do? Is Prudhomme to blame for all of this?

I dont understand this at all. Sky and BMC should do nothing, just continue to race, none of the riders or teams have done anything wrong.

The 'fans' were responsible for today. In an ideal world they would all take a long hard look at themselves and learn from it. The sort of morons we are dealing with though wont do any of that. The horse has well and truly bolted in terms of ASO being proactive, its now time for them to be reactive. Sadly the only way forward I can see is barriers and lots of them!

Unfortunately, events like today show how easy it could be for people who really want to hurt others. Security/Barriers must be increased IMO, although I will miss the atmosphere and colour of the crowd by the cyclists.

Richeypen said:
Oliwright said:
Edited by mod

So, who's responsible for today? What should Sky and BMC do? Is Prudhomme to blame for all of this?

I dont understand this at all. Sky and BMC should do nothing, just continue to race, none of the riders or teams have done anything wrong.

The 'fans' were responsible for today. In an ideal world they would all take a long hard look at themselves and learn from it. The sort of morons we are dealing with though wont do any of that. The horse has well and truly bolted in terms of ASO being proactive, its now time for them to be reactive. Sadly the only way forward I can see is barriers and lots of them!

+1,000. The ball is in ASO / UCI's court to clean up wayward fans. If you can stop English football hooliganism that was once rampant in the 80s this should be easy.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Firstly ASO are idoits it was a disaster waintg to happen, every one who had planned to be on the six km from chalet to the top ended up compressed in the space of 2kms, barriers should have been implemented form 3-5 km out, secondly some one should be sued for the injuries, thirdly we need to stop these iconic finishes on the 14th, every one is on holiday and wants to go and see the tour if it finshes at ventoux every one goes to ventoux make the stages flat less risk. Finally stop climbing alpe d'huez and ventoux it's always the same chaos.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Nothing will happen. ASO doesn't care about rider safety. UCI is powerless. Teams and riders are occupied with their own survival or finding new contracts.

One thing that definitely should happen is a total overhaul of the rules and the process for their application. There's clearly stuff all clarity and far too much 'making it up on the hoof. It's not fair to ANY rider to have to guess whether today is going to be their unlucky day coz they get the harsh judge on the jury.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

RattaKuningas said:
I don't like the decision but I think that cycling just has to move on tomorrow. Incidents like this happen but fortunately not too often.

Agree. It's always easy talking from your comfortable chair with hindsight and everything. Maybe it's also a good thing that it happened today, with the yellow jersey directly involved in it (let's not underestimate that part!). If they still think there's nothing to do, okay, so be it. That's how cycling will be in the coming years.

I have watched pro cycling, since the 70s. Watching the tour this year....fans are so out of control. I have always respected Europeans, as sophisticated, thoughtful, respectful, people. In this years tour, my dreams, and respect for Europeans, has waned, and I am so disappointed by European cyclingfans. Now, barriers must be erected? Why not arrest the hooligans. Is not how it is handled, in footbal matches??

This Charming Man said:
I have watched pro cycling, since the 70s. Watching the tour this year....fans are so out of control. I have always respected Europeans, as sophisticated, thoughtful, respectful, people. In this years tour, my dreams, and respect for Europeans, has waned, and I am so disappointed by European cyclingfans. Now, barriers must be erected? Why not arrest the hooligans. Is not how it is handled, in footbal matches??

You can only arrest people if they break the law: jogging on the public highway, cheering, flagwaving, and wearing stupid costumes are all legal activities in any country worth inhabiting, no matter how irritating or brainless they might be.

I suspect that the legal difficulties in trying to pass legislation against every action that could disrupt a race on public roads are such that the needed laws will not be passed. And even if they were, there would not be sufficient law enforcement present to see that they are applied,

In the absence of personal moral restraint, the impracticality of legal restraint, and the unwillingness of peer restraint*, it is hard to see any solution other than physical restraint: more barriers is the sad but inevitable result of this.

When the Tour passed through Kent in 2007, I went to watch in Tonbridge. There were barriers on both sides of the road for the entire length of the urban section of road, and crossing was limited to a few controlled places for about 5 hours before the race came through. And that is Tonbridge: the epitome of genteel conformity. There must be some happy medium between that overkill and the chaos of yesterday, but at least it shows that ASO are not unwilling to get their hands on more barriers and more minimum wage stewards to lay them out when necessary.

*: I would like to feel that peer restraint of roadside idiots is not totally lacking, and am grateful to those who, unseen, prevail upon those who were about to do something daft or dangerous, but I too rarely see the crowd turning on the selfish attention seekers near them.

Richeypen said:
Oliwright said:
Edited by mod

I don't think you were fair to the OP there, perhaps because you didn't notice the time of their post. At that stage, the results had been released showing Froome in 6th, and commentators were speculating about rider strikes, while forum contributors were positing withdrawal as a possible reaction.