• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should he do next?

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So there always seems to be this undertone floating around that Fabian could pretty much win any race he wanted to, my question is what should he do next?

He is obviously dominant over the cobbles, but he has those monuments now, does he go for the monument clean sweep? Does he try to target the tour? Or does he remain content with dominating the cobbles and TT's?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Yshore said:
So there always seems to be this undertone floating around that Fabian could pretty much win any race he wanted to, my question is what should he do next?

He is obviously dominant over the cobbles, but he has those monuments now, does he go for the monument clean sweep? Does he try to target the tour? Or does he remain content with dominating the cobbles and TT's?

He could probably also win a few shorter tours such as last year's TdS. Possibly ToC, Romandie, etc.

But I agree, trying to win Monuments is more prestigious (unless he gets bored by it).

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The world road race would also be something nice to have in a palmarès. Last year he was probalbly the strongest in the whole field but if the others force you to work hard..

If I were Cancellara and I absolutely wanted to give both the Tour and the monuments a go, I'd go for the Tour first. But it's complicated.

First of all, I'm afraid it might be a bit too late for him, although on the bright side next year he'll be just one year older than Wiggins when he transformed. Ideally he should have given it a try already, but it was impossible at Saxo. Next year things may change depending on where he goes (if it's BMC, I don't see him displacing Evans with no GC results to show). Frankly, I don't see it.

Now, as for the monuments, MSR, RVV and PR are quite obviously and empirically within his possibilities. LBL is a bit too hard and explosive for him, I think, but GL might be more suited to his characteristics if I'm remembering the parcous right even though I haven't been able to watch it for years so this is probably ridiculously wrong. At any rate, turns out he already has the monuments thing more or less covered, so I don't see it providing him any extra excitement.

Short stage races are fine but he's already won TdS and I don't see any of the rest improving significantly his palmares. Yeah, winning the Dauphine would be good but if you can win that you might as well go for the TdF, right? Romandie, Basque Country and the others just don't look like very exciting goals for someone like Cancellara.

So I'd say, TdF. I'm very skeptical about his chances of doing good in the GC, but it's the only higher goal I can see (WC aside).

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Yshore said:

Surely he should be capitalized.

Anyhow - hour record.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
riobonito92 said:
Surely he should be capitalized.

Anyhow - hour record.

It would only be capatalized if he were God, or some other supreme magical guy floating around in the nether-space.

WC and hour record would be good, does anyone have a link to the profile of this years WC? I have heard its a bit more difficult than a Cavendish pancake??

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Yshore said:
It would only be capatalized if he were God, or some other supreme magical guy floating around in the nether-space.

WC and hour record would be good, does anyone have a link to the profile of this years WC? I have heard its a bit more difficult than a Cavendish pancake??

WC and collect the last of the 5 monuments (and more PR's) would be his ultimate. I recently saw a comment from Brad McGee (Saxo DS) responding to a question as to could Fabulous become a GC contender, and he basically wrote it off. He has too much weight to bring down (more than Wiggins had) and he'd lose too much power to be a true contender for the win. Could he get top 10-15, probably, but that's less prestige than the monuments. He also noted that the 'move to GC' brigade generally come from the English speaking world who see the TdF as the be-all-and-end-all of pro-cycling. Where the traditional European base have a far higher esteme/respect for the monuments (not higher esteme than the TdF, but higher esteme than Anglo's place on them).

This year's WC course does have some hills, but not enough to suit Fabian. But maybe enough to mean Cav may not be in stripes next year. That and the fact Britain will likely only qualify 6 riders - none of which will be decent lead-out man for Cav. And while history has WC's being helped by trade team-mates, Australia will have their own ambitions, so no chance of Cav doing a deal with Renshaw to ensure the Rainbows are in HTC next year. I think this years WC will be Belgian. Either Boonen or Gilbert, depending on the difficulty of the race on the day.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Yshore said:

And here's a link to the WC course map, straight run from Melbourne to Geelong then laps of a 16km course at Geelong. May be high winds in the Melb-Geelong run, possible chances of eschelons forming and breaks if it really blows. A small climb on the course and an uphill finish

http://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/2010cycling/services/services/article/8ccd07f3a812144.aspx

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Yshore said:

Sure this course goes up and dawn but nothing realy,

Bar one short climb 1.5 at 10% max there is nothing realy should be a sprinters course
but Nichole Cook made a break at top of the climb a few years ago and won the womens world cup

almost same course. It may be a tough ride from Melbourne in September they could get ice cold sowth westerlies at 70-80 kmh. right in their face.
It can be a race for a strong rider who loves wind

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
online-rider said:
Why doesn't he pull some swiss boys together and go for the London olympics Team Pursuit?:p

Seriously, why not?

because he would never win it. there are no swiss pursuiters of any level at all.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think he's keft it too late to try and be a GC rider at a GT. He's said the same himself too. He wants to win all 5 monuments and I think that is his next target. he's probably one of the few riders who going to the TT and RR double at the world championships which he should have done last year. Would love to see him do that

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
He's got a good chance of winning the world's road race this year. It's a race he should target next. Get the road race rainbow jersey one year.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Win all the momunments.
RR and TT World Champs jerseys at the same time
Bring prestige back to the Hour Record.

If Cancellara attempted the HR it would be a big thing and hopefully relight enthusiasm for it and have more riders attempt it.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
Why doesn't he pull some swiss boys together and go for the London olympics Team Pursuit?:p

Seriously, why not?

Not the Team pursuit but I have always wondered what he could do on the track by himself be that at 4k or even a shot at the hour record which he must surely be able to take.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
This month's Cycle Sport mag interview- his four goals are pretty much as discussed: Liege & Lombardy, WC Road Race and Hour Record.

A collective pat on the back to you all.

Was a bit obvious though:p

TRENDING THREADS