• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should Paul Kimmage ask TeamSky?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
as Kimmage is gonna be imbedded with TeamSky for the TdF, well a thread for serious questions that we would like to see Kimmage ask TeamSky, any member.

I would like him to ask Michael Barry ask his past re the landis allegations, but that might distract him from the TdF...:rolleyes:

i also want to hear how a clean rider feels riding amongst a bunch of dopers and i dont want to hear you put it out your mind....no way do you...IMO

_____

c'mon you budding journos post them up...

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
On a squad with Yates behind the wheel and an ex(?) customer of Luigi Cecchini riding for them it can't be too hard for him to come up with a question or two I'd expect.

A

Anonymous

I wonder about this whole situation to be honest.

Is kimmage there to hang out with, report on, follow team sky? Or, were Sky one of the few guys willing to sort him out press credentials so he can have unrestricted access to the press/team areas. I can imagine there are a lot of people not to keen on Kimmage being at the Tour.

But what can they do if hes the "guest" of one of the teams.

I think theres a bit of mutual back scratching going on there, Sky get Kimmage as an advert of how they are clean, and in return Kimmage gets access to who he really wants to talk to. He doesnt want to talk to Brad etc. Yes, he wants to report on the first british team in the tour since anc, the first time the national champs jersey has been in the tour since '92, but really he just wants to hassle armstrong and bruyneel.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Kimmage should ask them if anybody looked at his book. If anybody believes that he was in rooms,buses ,cafes hotels,cars,training rides,races and on and on were somebody was shooting up and he never did anything. I am sure all the squads he was with just winked at him and told him to turn away or go grab a cup of tea while the rest of the team does a quick needle jam..sounds realistic.

here are copies of articles that Kimmage wrote when he was embedded with the Garmin team in 2008. In turn, he became a big supporter of Vande Velde and even David Millar.

Christian Vande Velde: Christian soldier
American rider Christian Vande Velde has gone from one of cycling's also-rans to a potential winner of the Tour de France
Paul Kimmage

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article4364306.ece

Back from the abyss
An anti-doping team has restored my faith in the future of the Tour de France
Paul Kimmage

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article4407072.ece

May 13, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Is kimmage there to hang out with, report on, follow team sky? Or, were Sky one of the few guys willing to sort him out press credentials so he can have unrestricted access to the press/team areas. I can imagine there are a lot of people not to keen on Kimmage being at the Tour.

I think theres a bit of mutual back scratching going on there, Sky get Kimmage as an advert of how they are clean, and in return Kimmage gets access to who he really wants to talk to. He doesnt want to talk to Brad etc. Yes, he wants to report on the first british team in the tour since anc, the first time the national champs jersey has been in the tour since '92, but really he just wants to hassle armstrong and bruyneel.

Probably this.

As for the questions, of course I'd like him to ask everybody about their chemical preparation, but would he get an honest answer?

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
If I was Paul I'd ask Michael Barry about the allegations, I mean how could you not. He'd then have to ask SY and DB about it. However I don't think that he will get an answer other than what we've heard before. This is really a good PR campaign for Team Sky, theres a lot of pluses for them to have a reporter embedded on the team. Will there be any earth shattering revelations about what really goes on once the doors of the team bus close? I don't see it.

I don't think that Paul could give two hoots about Pance or the Hog, yes I could see that if he gets his chance to ruffle some tail feathers he'll do so. But I just don't see Paul losing any sleep over those two to be honest.

Hey I could be wrong and Paul will expose pro-cycling for the sham that I believe it to be.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I do think this is an interesting little conundrum. And I can see all the angles suggested so far. My view is:

I am about 150% certain that Kimmage is not doing this to toe the News Intl line, as other posters have pointed out in other threads, if Murdoch sacked him, he is such a respected journalist he would find another job in about a minute.

(That said, it does no harm to focus on the team your boss is sponsoring, even if you arent going to compromise your integrity)

I wonder if Kimmage thinks Wiggins actually has a chance? Even if its just the podium, because with Sky money behind it, if he does do really well, then it would quickly become a huge story.

Whatever Kimmage says from time to time, cycling is in his blood. He cant leave it alone.

EDIT: I just realised I didnt answer the OP.

I think to go further with the Clinic type questions with Brad would be unproductive. Wiggins is too savvy, and I dont want to know tbh. I think there are some interesting questions to be asked of DB vis a vis Barry and Sean Y (not that is any real proof, but...) and then compare with Garmin's philosophy.

i would also ask DB if he would sign Cav.

And I would ask some of the more seasoned pros eg Flecha and Arvesen what they think of the young Brits and how far they can go.

I would also kimmage to do the full broadsheet heavy interview with EBH, I know very little about the guy outside of his results and would love to know more about him. He seems talented and instinctive but still naive - in a nice way.

FURTHER EDIT: I would like to think that Kimmage has moved past his own problems with the sport and the JB/LA stuff and can look forwards. What i love about Kimmage's cycling journalism is that his own narrative is so caught up in it, it makes for such great stories and subtext. IF the Sunday Times want a journo on the LA/JB takedown side of things then they can put David Walsh on it.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well good for Sky for bringing along a guy who's known for raising his eyebrows and asking tough questions. I hope he sticks to his principles no matter which team he's around.

This quote by Vande Velde in the Kimmage article leapt out, "...it has just occurred to me all the questions I am going to be asked if I do well because I’m an ex-US Postal rider." I imagine he would have some interesting tales to tell.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:
I do think this is an interesting little conundrum. And I can see all the angles suggested so far. My view is:

I am about 150% certain that Kimmage is not doing this to toe the News Intl line, as other posters have pointed out in other threads, if Murdoch sacked him, he is such a respected journalist he would find another job in about a minute.

(That said, it does no harm to focus on the team your boss is sponsoring, even if you arent going to compromise your integrity)

I wonder if Kimmage thinks Wiggins actually has a chance? Even if its just the podium, because with Sky money behind it, if he does do really well, then it would quickly become a huge story.

Whatever Kimmage says from time to time, cycling is in his blood. He cant leave it alone.

EDIT: I just realised I didnt answer the OP.

I think to go further with the Clinic type questions with Brad would be unproductive. Wiggins is too savvy, and I dont want to know tbh. I think there are some interesting questions to be asked of DB vis a vis Barry and Sean Y (not that is any real proof, but...) and then compare with Garmin's philosophy.

i would also ask DB if he would sign Cav.

And I would ask some of the more seasoned pros eg Flecha and Arvesen what they think of the young Brits and how far they can go.

I would also kimmage to do the full broadsheet heavy interview with EBH, I know very little about the guy outside of his results and would love to know more about him. He seems talented and instinctive but still naive - in a nice way.

FURTHER EDIT: I would like to think that Kimmage has moved past his own problems with the sport and the JB/LA stuff and can look forwards. What i love about Kimmage's cycling journalism is that his own narrative is so caught up in it, it makes for such great stories and subtext. IF the Sunday Times want a journo on the LA/JB takedown side of things then they can put David Walsh on it.

Kimmage never got his kids into cycling. that's how much it is in his blood. He doesn't write about cycling every week either, that's how much it is in his blood. He is a journalist and has to do what his editors ask of him, a smart editor is going to use his strengths. Kimmage cannot be pushed around.

He did Garmin, why repeat it.

I dont see Kimmage doing a PR piece just because Lachlan Murdoch is teams main sponsor.

Bet Kimmage has never met the guy and does not give a ****e about him either.

He is one of the few integral journos out there writing. How does writing about Sky compromise his integrity and if it did, he wouldn't do it. Why? Because then he can never put his head above the parapet again and take a shot at the dopers.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
for anyone who thinks Kimmage is doing the articles for the benefit of teamsky and murdoch, they obviously dont think so as they have not linked it on their website:rolleyes:

i can't imagine too many in the peleton want to be seen with the guy, so anyone thinking he is promoting sky in cycling in its current form has got to kidding....

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
yes, thats why we have said things like '150% certain he is not toeing News Intl line'

It is clear from many of the articles he writes that Kimmage still loves cycling - but he hates it at the same time.

PS The Sunday Times and Times are about to become pay to view - the interview from Sunday 28/6 is behind the paywall (which is currently free, just register) so you cant see it unless you register and it isnt indexed by Google.

but it is there - 3rd return from this link http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto...?querystring=wiggins&sectionId=2&p=sto&pf=all

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:
yes, thats why we have said things like '150% certain he is not toeing News Intl line'

It is clear from many of the articles he writes that Kimmage still loves cycling - but he hates it at the same time.

PS The Sunday Times and Times are about to become pay to view - the interview from Sunday 28/6 is behind the paywall (which is currently free, just register) so you cant see it unless you register and it isnt indexed by Google.

but it is there - 3rd return from this link http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto...?querystring=wiggins&sectionId=2&p=sto&pf=all

Kimmage recently accompanied a rugby player (and former cocaine user IIRC) on a charity cycle from Paris to Edinburgh and rediscovered his love for cycling. His daughter accompanied him on one of the legs through Ireland. he talks about his love/hate in those articles.

I posted the link to the Kimmage article on Wiggins article already on this thread.:rolleyes:

Benotti69 said:
Kimmage recently accompanied a rugby player (and former cocaine user IIRC) on a charity cycle from Paris to Edinburgh and rediscovered his love for cycling. His daughter accompanied him on one of the legs through Ireland. he talks about his love/hate in those articles.

I posted the link to the Kimmage article on Wiggins article already on this thread.:rolleyes:

That was Lawrence Dallaglio on his six nations ride from Rome to Edinburgh via all the rugby grounds. Kimmage rode some of the route with him.

Dallaglio was not a cocaine user, though he foolishly admitted (he now says he made it up to try and look cool) to dealing coke from the back of his FIAT when he was younger. The person he was talking to was a reporter for the News of the World. He lost the England captaincy over it. Great player, and there is still a big hole in the London Wasps team, two years after his retirment.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
ah right so you meant TeamSky have not linked to article?

What has a rugby player maybe doing a bit of coke when a young man got to do with anything? (But that is one of the articles I was thinking of.)

Just as irrelevant but more interesting is how much fitter and healthy Dallaglio looks now he has fallen in love with the bike. Obviously he was fit before, but rugby fit is heavy and he looks so sharp when commenting on the telly compared to his peers.

Anyway, whichever angle Kimmage chooses to take, the articles will be the best things in the next few weeks Sunday Times

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

I agree with bolded part. If he is hanging with sky, how would he be hassling JB and LA?

A

Anonymous

Winterfold said:
ah right so you meant TeamSky have not linked to article?

Why would sky have linked to it? There are countless articles like that one, they cant link to them all, stuff like that doesnt tend to get linked from the main site. They did link to it on their facebook page though.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I agree with bolded part. If he is hanging with sky, how would he be hassling JB and LA?

None but a few selected hacks will be getting near Uniballer/Hog this TdF. I imagine he'll have lots of security goons and not giving open press conferences.

I expect Kimmage will be a pro and writing soley about TeamSky and its performance and live in the TdF '10.

If anything major happens he might be asked to write a piece, but cant see that happening, even though lots want the police to bust teams etc...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Why would sky have linked to it? There are countless articles like that one, they cant link to them all, stuff like that doesnt tend to get linked from the main site. They did link to it on their facebook page though.

I am merely pointing out to those who think that Kimmage has gone into to do a pr job on TeamSky to give their image that extra 'clean' glow. That if their was 'mutual back scratching' going on they would be using his article for that very purpose.

Jeez, why do guys doubt Kimmage? He is not wanted around the world of pro cycling as he spat in the soup and some of you think he is gonna do cover up job for Wiggins/TeamSky.....can't figure that out. With all what FLandis allegations, microdoping and blood levels...he seems better equipped to find out truths and cast a true light on TeamSky. There also are people in the world of pro cyclign who welcome his return albeit not openly and might feed him info that will help....who knows. But doubting him before you read anything....those kind of tactics we know about in cycling

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Some observations - Kimmage has been at numerous Tours - so he is not dependent on Team Sky for an invitation.
But it would be interesting to know if Team Sky offered the opportunity - or did PK/ST request an invitation.

As was pointed out PK has done this previously with Garmin -and he appeared to give it a qualified endorsement. It probably would be prudent to compare and contrast the reception and openness between the two teams.

In simple terms, this is a British newspaper following a British team. A team that will want to reassure a skeptical public that it is clean, Brailsford is very media savvy - but he has met his match in Kimmage - it could be on of the more interesting sideshows to the TdF.

Dr. Maserati said:
Some observations - Kimmage has been at numerous Tours - so he is not dependent on Team Sky for an invitation.
But it would be interesting to know if Team Sky offered the opportunity - or did PK/ST request an invitation.

As was pointed out PK has done this previously with Garmin -and he appeared to give it a qualified endorsement. It probably would be prudent to compare and contrast the reception and openness between the two teams.

In simple terms, this is a British newspaper following a British team. A team that will want to reassure a skeptical public that it is clean, Brailsford is very media savvy - but he has met his match in Kimmage - it could be on of the more interesting sideshows to the TdF.

And in the article over the winter, Kimmage more or less told DB straight out, that he did not believe in him.

TRENDING THREADS