• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What sort of tech do YOU guys like to read about?

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

First off, glad to see that a fair number of you are finding our new forum a good place to chat. Please feel free to lob over suggestions for improvement as we move forwards; this area is more for you all than it is for us.

Anyway, as technical editor for Cyclingnews (and BikeRadar) I'm always keen to hear what you, the reader, are most interested in reading about in terms of bikes and assorted gear. Fire away!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
While I enjoy reading about the bikes and gear the pros are riding, most of that is beyond my budget. A $2500 set of wheels, for instance, is great to read about but is unrealistinc for me to purchase.

So I'd like to see more reviews of gear suited for the amateur who's paying his own way and needs components that will last for a few seasons while still proving good performance for the investment. It seems this segment of mid priced componentry is the area where reviews can help make an informed decision easier, as ANY high dollar equipment is going to be good.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

Glad to hear that we're already venturing in a good direction then. I have a mid-range Specialized Tarmac review that will be up soon that is far more reasonably priced than most of the past gear we've covered. We'll continue to cover the high-end stuff (though most people can't afford it, it seems that lots of people still like to read about it) but will add more 'real' stuff into the mix in the future.

Also, keep in mind that our sister site, BikeRadar.com, has reviews covering the full spectrum of prices so you might also find what you're looking for there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi James,

I've got to say that I really like the tech articles where it looks like the gear has been given a good work out.

I especially like your new review on the Dura-Ace 7900 as it raises some questions in my mind as to whether I would bother upgrading from 7800.

Also don't stop reviewing high-end stuff. There's plenty of us out here that aren't all about winning races but just like riding good gear and can afford to buy it.

Cheers, Tim

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I really enjoy reading the "pro bikes" section with all the measurements of the parts as well as the riders biometric details. They offer valuable information on setting up your bike, or at least give some direction when you try to figure out a new position.

On the other hand, I also interested in maintenance/repair/bike mechanics issues. I don't know if you have heard about tour magazine (It's German; see http://www.tour-magazin.de/) but they always have a section on bike maintenance ranging from minor adjustments to major overhauls. Examples include how to adjust your headset, with a sequence of pictures showing you what to do step by step. How to change a certain type of bottom bracket, what paste to use, what lube is best for which part, what if you have an aluminium frame, or a steel frame, how to adjust your derailleur or replace cables.

Another pro tour's team posted some short clips on their website showing a pro mechanic changing cables of a team bike and adjusting the shifters.

Just a thought...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I really enjoy reading the "pro bikes" section with all the measurements of the parts as well as the riders biometric details.
I like this the best too. I subscribe to paper bike mags that provide plenty of information on lower-end products. Eventually the high-end stuff filters down to the lower-end market anyway and I don't think anywhere else is quite as thorough at looking at the latest gear as you are. I also like being able to hear about what products have solved problems for pros. Plus even if you can't afford the latest $10,000 bike you might be able to afford a small part here or there that is high-end, like a helmet or saddle or something.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tech review

James,

Outstanding review on the 7900 ...Again, great work, you're obviously not in it just for a free gruppo !!! Fair and candid. (Just what were they thinking with those exposed STI internals??) Haven't had to touch any 7900 yet, but you've given me a great summary of what to expect.

As for what tech do I like to read ... 'ALL' is the simple answer for me ... with involvement through either myself and my kids (and the many who visit the back of my car on race days!) in club and state level racing BMX, MTB, Track and Road (and skate park/ride-to-school bikes in between) ... I need all the exposure I can get ... Bring it all on !!! Tools, bikes, gruppos, components, other bits ...

Tech help at a higher level than the average magazine article "Now you too can change a tube" :rolleyes:

How about the REAL pro tips on servicing REAL pro bikes by REAL pro mechs ... that would be good reading ... for instance, I would LOVE to see a timeline series of photos (yes, it would need a fast shutter!!) of a pro cyclocross mech washing/prepping a pro bike in between laps !! What is the most used glue for tubulars amongst the mechs in the peleton and do CX guys use a different glue?? Do pro mechs pre-stretch cables ?? etc etc etc

I know, I know ... a REAL protour mech is either too busy with too many bikes, or asleep to help share tips or answer questions for the tifosi ... I await the first DVD feature that follows the mechs and no-one else, day-in day-out for one team in a grand tour ... now that would be interesting would it not ??? Exhausting just to think about ...

Thanks for the stickers you sent me last year ...

Andy G
Darwin NT
Australia

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Andy.G said:
How about the REAL pro tips on servicing REAL pro bikes by REAL pro mechs ...Andy G
Darwin NT Australia
Andy, while reading this whole thread it was in my mind to ask for a "Pro's Secrets" tips section. But you'd already done it. What are the small hidden detail tips that the pro mechanics use? The stuff that we can't see. What do they lube cables with? What's under 'bar tape? Do pro riders shift into the top cog when they flat to make wheel changing easier?

Mike T.
Ontario Canada

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Tech

+1 for the Pro Bike sections. cyclingnews often provides the 'first look' at new stuff and set-ups, providing an early look at 'targets' for my collection!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Serious reviews. Amongst my riding mates, CN is famous for giving everything 4 out of 5 all the time.

Now I know this is not all ways the case but many items do get favourable reviews and many, many products get similar ratings. It would help if you could discriminate more.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I really enjoy reading the "pro bikes" section with all the measurements of the parts as well as the riders biometric details. They offer valuable information on setting up your bike, or at least give some direction when you try to figure out a new position.

Another vote for Pro Bikes & setup measurements, my favorite part of cyclingnews.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I've always been intregued with the bikes the pros ride, and in the 70's and 80's, pro bikes were markedly superior to bikes we commoners could buy, unless we went the custom route. Now it seems it's the pros who are riding the off the shelf bikes that are actually heavier than ones we commoners ride due to UCI weight limits. The pros do seem to get the most advanced wheels, though. For the most part, they get the Lightweight and Zipp or Mavic "specials" that are out of the budget of most commoners. Tires they ride are special, too, as one labeled a Vittoria is really a Dugast or other exotic brand not common in local bike shops. I enjoy reading about these little 'secrets', as well as those about stock looking bikes of the pros that are really custom made ala Boonen's Specialized.
Another interestesting point is features that explain about the layup and designs of carbon fiber construction, the how and why this makes such a difference, as well as types of carbon fiber fabrics. Right now it seems in the consumer field, cost is the factor that seems to dictate how a new frame is layed up. Well, you asked, this is what I like to read about!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Love all the tech stuff from the pros, their new bikes, especially TT bikes, and the coverage of SRAM's new group from start to finish was covered brilliantly on cyclingnews.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Stani Kléber said:
Serious reviews. Amongst my riding mates, CN is famous for giving everything 4 out of 5 all the time.

Now I know this is not all ways the case but many items do get favourable reviews and many, many products get similar ratings. It would help if you could discriminate more.

Hi Stani,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am aware that CN has that reputation in certain circles but I'm still not convinced that it's entirely warranted. Keep in mind that we generally test mid-to-high end race-oriented gear and as a general rule, most products in that category are quite good these days and more often than not, it's an issue of highlighting differences between bikes as opposed to making a blanket statement that one is 'better' than another.

For example, say you have an aero bike that is 200g heavier, less rigid, and doesn't ride as well as a comparably priced ultralight - but is faster in most situations save for pure climbs. Is one 'worse' than the other?

With that being said, I should also point out that of the non-bike reviews currently listed on our tech index page (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech), only half of them have received final scores of four jerseys or higher and some received scores as low as 2/5. Bike-wise there are only two and both are ultrahigh-end rigs that honestly were quite good.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback James. That was always my counter to those who knocked your reviews, that you are testing good stuff and so you can't give it bad ratings. But any way to discriminate would be great.

One more thing, you picked up some of Trek's viral marketing the other day and you also published a feature on their new design offices. This appeared to me as if you're a bit too close, details of a company's new offices is not going to have any of us riding faster/longer/more comfortable or for less money.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A few European factory visit reports would be nice I know you will be struggling as most of the big brands like Pinarello & co. have gone to the dark side.... but I'm sure a few of the readers born before 1970 would enjoy to see more stories about artisans still left in Europe like Tommasini, Gios ,ALAN, Scapin , Marresi scarpe or about guys that have moved on like Sannino...etc.

Another interesting story would be big brands which just dropped off the radar for whatever reasons? Zeus, Fiamme , Galli, Benotto, OMAS,Chesini must be some 60 something Italian trade insider with some good stories to tell who doesn't now work in Taiwan ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
As a footnote I'll also add that I hope you keep up any critiques of products especially advertisers , plenty of information about recalls which nowadays are all too common & one thing that did get under the radar recently on cyclingnews which was pretty common knowledge on other sites was that plenty of people's credit cards were hit recently after using a English online bikestore maybe a warning to your readers to double check their statements would have been nice PR.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Tech readings for me means all and sundry. Pro stuff, weight weenie exotica, pre-production stuff, bargain basement cookie cutter frames, etc etc.

Information is the key. Where was it made, how was it made, how well is it made, how does it work, does it work well, does it work with everything else on the bike, what does it weight, what does it cost, replacement parts, warranties, and (most of important of all) does it look good?

I believe ratings are generally a waste of time. The above factors should make it clear as to whether the product is suitable for a person's needs or not.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Alfred E. Neuman said:
While I enjoy reading about the bikes and gear the pros are riding, most of that is beyond my budget. A $2500 set of wheels, for instance, is great to read about but is unrealistinc for me to purchase.

So I'd like to see more reviews of gear suited for the amateur who's paying his own way and needs components that will last for a few seasons while still proving good performance for the investment. It seems this segment of mid priced componentry is the area where reviews can help make an informed decision easier, as ANY high dollar equipment is going to be good.

I would like to second this. In these tough economic times, a prospective buyer doesn't want to see just the $8000, $10,000 bicycle but also the really nicely made, mid level bicycle, like in the $2500-$3500 range and some that start life as a bicycle frame from the shop, then get built there with a unique component group, unique to that rider's needs and maybe a nice wheelset designed for that rider. And don't forget steel. Many really nice, light, responsive, inexpensive steel frames out there. Carbon isn't the only frame material in spite of the marketeers.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I would like to see reviews of other frames, forks, and other products, not necessarily complete bikes. For example, how about reviews of various carbon forks. How about reviews of custom steel frames. How about reviews of aftermarket cranksets.

Also, when you feature a pro bike, please include the saddle to bar drop measurement.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I would like to see REAL weights and a database kept. The database for the rival site that says it's all about weight is mostly out of date and a bit random, but if you guys weigh every bit and bike you review and keep the numbers readily available you will drive an increasing number of people to your site. Advertisers won't like it, but readers will. And if manufacturers don't like it, they should publish correct weights. One of the signs of a good manufacturer is accurate weights and buyers infer quality from that fact.

For example, how much weight would one really save on a bike from switching to Nokon carbon cable housing? See if you can guess from looking at other websites. Yet the weight saving is the major reason to do that switch.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I prefer reading about the pro bikes over most of what is in the tech section. Some of the reviews are interesting but I never pass of a pro bike article.

TRENDING THREADS