• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What team would Purito fit into to make it a Tour winning team?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cannondale have become more of a classics squad this year. Sagan will be going for the Green jersey and even though he had no problem with Nibs this year would he want his team to be GC focus for the 2nd year in row?

The direction they have taken makes it an unlikely destination but if they have a change of heart he might go there on a one year contract.

serfla said:
It's too late for Rodriguez to make successful transfer now.
Besides that, he's too ambitious IMO. The Tour is out of his reach.
I'm afraid he could end in clinic if he doesn't restrain himself.

Out of his reach? He is a great climber and he has improved his tt a lot. (he's better than A Schleck now) So if Andy could win tdf why not Purito?

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Out of his reach? He is a great climber
I wouldn't agree completely. He gets advantage only on specific climbs. Very different from Tour climbs, and very differently ridden from Giro or Vuelta ascents. Very possible his legs would be broken by tempo ride even before the final climb on a Tour stage.
LaFlorecita said:
and he has improved his tt a lot. (he's better than A Schleck now) So if Andy could win tdf why not Purito?
Improved from losing quarter hour on flat itt to a fifth?

Not Tour caliber, IMO.
He couldn't beat returnee Contador and Valverde with the Tour in his legs, on a perfect route and in the season of his life.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I could see Lampre picking him up, I doubt they have the money, but they only have Scarponi and he sucked last year, so maybe they want to upgrade :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Lampre and Euskatel I think would both be good teams for him but I'm not sure either have the money. Cannondale could support him but there might be some problems there with Sagan. BlancoBank would be able to support him in the Tour as long as they are 100% behind him.

I think it's a mistake for him to find another team and focus on the Tour though, especially at this time in the season. I think he should just stick with Katusha (assuming they take a step down to continental) and go for Giro Vuelta plus the classics.

Afrank said:
Lampre and Euskatel I think would both be good teams for him but I'm not sure either have the money. Cannondale could support him but there might be some problems there with Sagan. BlancoBank would be able to support him in the Tour as long as they are 100% behind him.

I think it's a mistake for him to find another team and focus on the Tour though, especially at this time in the season. I think he should just stick with Katusha (assuming they take a step down to continental) and go for Giro Vuelta plus the classics.

He'll still target T-A and the Ardennes classics, I'm sure.

I don't think it's a mistake to focus on the Tour, though. The route suits him so much that he'd be a legitimate podium contender. He won't be a shoe-in for a podium spot, ofc, but he has a shot. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone who obviously cares about that and doesn't only care about winning, like Contador.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Purito on his way out.

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=58415

Lampre heavily rumored to be his new team (via tweets).

taiwan said:
Purito to Lampre would be a good fit IMHO.

Climbing domestiques, current riders have limited ambitions at the Tour, and the new sponsor Merida could no doubt find a few million to get the no. 1 rider on their bikes.

Not good for Cunego's Ardennes season though.

September 28th guys ;)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
bicifan said:
Cannondale...they need to replace Nibali.

Cannondale doesnt make any sense.

If Cannondale has the money, they would have kept Nibali in first place.

Lampre, Astana are my obvious favorites.

TRENDING THREADS