• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What type of gear does a professional ride in?

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
When a person in a professional road bike race is on flat ground with little to no wind resistance, what gear are they typically in (being a spinner or a masher).

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well Cancellara used 54x11 on his TT bike in 2009 according to Bikeradar
•Cranks: Specialized S-Works FACT Carbon direct drive, 177.5mm, 54x42
•Rear sprockets: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-23

I think they also use 55x11 on panflat ITT's

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Well Cancellara used 54x11 on his TT bike in 2009 according to Bikeradar

I think they also use 55x11 on panflat ITT's

I recall both Zabel and Mario using 54's at times in the Tour. I think most non sprinters stick with a 53 though as there is little need for that top end gear most of the time (other than coming down mountains)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
jamesandersen said:
When a person in a professional road bike race is on flat ground with little to no wind resistance, what gear are they typically in (being a spinner or a masher).
being draged along by the bunch on flat roads they use about 80-90 inch gear
the goal is to spin at 45 kmh so they can save some for when they are strung out then its whatever you can push to hang on. its same with pros as it is with club racing just a lot faster and a lot longer. on the front pulling the bunch along they would use 53X16 on flat roads.

I know because i have been there on a motorbike filming and that is something I like to get a shot of.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Michele said:
Remember when Saiz got Once using 55 ring on a Vuelta's stage?

Yes. I also remember him mocking other teams' riders for planning to use a 26 in the back or even a triple on the Angliru. Saiz insisted that those sorts of gears were for tourists and women rather than racers. Many of the Saiz crew then looked massively over-geared as they got beaten up by a bunch of classy riders with appropriate gear ratios. I guess Manolo didn't know everything about preparation.

TRENDING THREADS