• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What type of supporter are you?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What type of supporter are you?

• Total voters
Combination of 4 and 6 for me. I'll generally support whoever is neither strangling the race, nor bringing a knife to a gunfight, and that's a group of riders that changes over time... but there are definitely riders within that group who I prefer, and there are also a few riders who I could never support regardless of their racing style.

I also have a thing for supporting top riders only once they are past their true prime, like Contador in the past or Nibali in recent years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Combination of 4 and 6 for me. I'll generally support whoever is neither strangling the race, nor bringing a knife to a gunfight, and that's a group of riders that changes over time... but there are definitely riders within that group who I prefer, and there are also a few riders who I could never support regardless of their racing style.

I also have a thing for supporting top riders only once they are past their true prime, like Contador in the past or Nibali in recent years.

I'm different, for the favorite riders I want them to win every chance they get but okay if someone else wins. Then of those riders I like if they are both GC riders or sprinters there is a tier list on who I want to win over the other. The only one I didn't like when he lost was Cavendish to Greipel or Kittel but when Cav wasn't in the race I was fine with Greipel winning but not Kittel. For current riders it would be Cavendish, Pinot, Kreuziger, and Demare. Past has been Ullrich, Kloden, Schlecks, and Contador (funny enough when I first started watching cycling in 2009 I didn't really like Contador and wanted Schleck to win in 2009 and 2010 but he started to grow on me in 2011).

First and foremost I support my fellow Norwegians.

Aside from that I chose riders from a variety of temas and nationalities to support. The last decade my main favorites were probably Gilbert in the one day classics and Nibali in GTs. Also liked Aru when he was at his best a few years ago. Right now it's Van der Poel. Don't really have a new favorite in GTs after Nibali, but I wouldn't mind if Pinot won the Tour once. I mainly like offensive riders who are capable of and willing to do attacks far from the finish. I don't like riders who wheelsuck to victories and guys who are diesel engines in the mountains.

The first race I watched was the 2006 Tour de France, me and my brothers each chose a team based on who's jersey we liked. I chose AG2R and remember celebrating Cyril Dessel wearing the yellow jersey like I would England winning the world cup. My mood was ruined slightly by my brother's Rabobank team sweeping up 4 stages and polka dot.

Now I follow cycling properly I don't support anybody in particular, it all depends on what's going on in the race but I'll always prefer the attackers, the entertainers, and the plucky underdogs (eg Almeida at the Giro this year). However, I'll always have a soft spot for AG2R.

Cult member. There is only one true faith. The church of Nibali. ;)
mot7l3m7f8w31.jpg

silly tweet mode ON :p
following the Nibali-Ineos rumors for 2022 I was curious to listen from hardcore Nibali fans

is the Church of Nibali stronger than anything and Vincenzo comes first whatever team he rides for?

It matters not who he rides for. I'd detest seeing him at Sky but if it is his decision to get a huge payout and a Very Strong team to support him in his final attempts at some big classic wins I'd still be cheering for Vincenzo the rider, but not the team he rides for.
It was the same with Tinkoff; I couldn't stand him but rooted for Alberto every time he threw his leg over a bike.

I agree to a certain degree but I absolutely think that supporting a rider can further improve the experience of watching races. Pretty sure the final week of this years giro would have felt a lot more exciting if I had any sort of feelings, positive or negative, towards Hindley and TGH. I'm just a lot more invested in the races if I actually care about who wins.
Nah, I support teams in other sports but in cycling I just like to watch good racing and I'm not invested enough in any rider to care much if they win or not.

silly tweet mode ON :p
following the Nibali-Ineos rumors for 2022 I was curious to listen from hardcore Nibali fans

is the Church of Nibali stronger than anything and Vincenzo comes first whatever team he rides for?

it's definitely stronger than anything. If Nibali moves to INEOS, the British would not only realise that he is the new Messi(n)ah, they would also have to enthrone him as the next archbishop of Canterbury.

I support my fellow compatriots the most but I admire other riders who show courage and grit. Contador is the obvious standout with Nibali a special mention.

Contador rose in my admiration with his style in the 2011 TdF when he showed true character despite being hamstrung by Giro fatigue and crashes. After mediocre Pyrenees he attacked in the Alpes (stages 16 and 19) and did a great stage 20 TT.

Nibali is also a great all round rider who was probably regarded as the best descending GC rider. He really rose in my respect level when he won MSR a race not normally suited to GC type riders. I was disappointed when some suggested he was lucky to win the 2014 TdF just because Froome and Contador crashed out. Nibs was in huge form and would have been difficult to beat regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carols
I've always preferred riders who like to blow up races, and look good on the bike when they do it.

I started out supporting the likes of Pantani, Vandenbroucke, Mayo, Vino etc - Guys who wouldn't just follow the script. I found Ricco absolutely hilarious, and loved watching him, but that was more in a impending car crash kinda way. That's why I've never really warmed to the likes of Evans, Wigans and Froome.

The last few years I've generally supported Contador, I warmed up to him after the way he handled Armstrong's hubris in 2009 and his racing style did the rest. Bardet's brief stint as a GC contender was entertaining, as was Rolland. Nibali is a gem, I've never seen someone force so many mistakes from their opponents.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Hindley, Pogačar, Hirschi, Van Aert, Simon Yates, Van der Poel and Alaphillipe, and I'm a big fan of George Bennett when he's on form - both on the road and in the media. Also hoping that Chaves regains his 2016 form, I'm a huge fan of the little guy.

Belgians. There hasn't been an American I've really liked since Lemond. Sure Horner and Leipheimer are good dudes but I was never big big fans. Remco is the most exciting for me as Belgium has been waiting for a GT winner for over 40 years. Wout is the best all-around Belgian cyclist I can remember since Edouard.

i'm all over the place on this one. i got interested in cycling after meeting Eric Heiden at a 7-11 event as a teenager. that was the only team i ever followed. It was tough to be a cycling fan back then in the States. first big rider i followed was LeMond again limited exposure to anyone else in the states back then. The first non-US rider was Beloki after seeing him interviewed pre tour in 2000. Latched on to Froome watching him infuriate Wiggans (the only rider I've rooted against). Thor Hushovd only sprinter I've ever followed. in the classics I usually pick someone early in the race and root for them on that day only. This forum has definitely influenced my opinion on riders and how I root. I had no interest in Pinot without Ton Ton and Froome without Milburo - go back and look at his post that started the Froome thread:)

I'm a USA homer, but USAers haven't given us a lot to cheer for lately* (except for great pulls for other riders). As most of you who read the race threads are overly aware of, I love it when aggressive racing pays of in wins! so I support any rider who is willing to throw down.

*That's going to change!

TRENDING THREADS