• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What was up with Frank S.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
So does anyone else feel that the discussions Armstrong may have been having with Frank Schleck may have been about coming across to Radioshack next year? Hence the reason why Frank S. never really went with his brother on Ventoux. Hmmm, makes you wonder if he didn't want to attack his possible new teammate.

Someone I knew who claimed to be friend of someone at Euskaltel told me that Armstrong used to tease other racing riders when in stress (something in the line of telling Iban Mayo 'come on, Iban, go head... come on, be daring, sweetheart..'). Maybe he was tearing Frank's moral down...

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Huh, dumbest thing eh? Well, take the fact that LA couldn't ride any mountain in the tour without a tow except when he exhausted everyone in his team making them ride for him and not the ACTUAL team leader (or yellow jersey wearer, whichever you prefer)...only to attack his faithful super domestique Kloden to try and ride across the gap to Contador. I don't know what tour you all were watching, but good ol' Mr. Armstrong couldn't go with the attacks of the Schlecks. Then the very next day, even Phil made comment on how LA was talking to Frank...stating possibly the coming across to Team Radioshack next year. Yes I know, very speculative...but then on the Ventoux vying for a podium, Frank all of the sudden had nothing!? The shear sense of possibly taking the 30 seconds back on LA and standing on the podium with his brother wasn't enough to even really try all but once? Andy certainly had the look about what the hell is going on with you Frank...let's go!

Oh wait,...maybe it's just the aura of Mr. I've won 7 TDF's and that no one is supposed to attack me because they need to respect me. All this crap about being the team player when Contador attacks. He just couldn't go, because he certainly wasn't riding for the team when he dropped Kloden trying to bridge after Kloden had pushed his **** up every climb throughout the tour. Subsequently costing Astana a 1st, 3rd and 4th position in the tour. You won't hear that ever because we all have to respect Mr. 7 TDF's! That is a good team player right there for you...role model for all the younger riders out there...NOT!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Otto123 said:
So does anyone else feel that the discussions Armstrong may have been having with Frank Schleck may have been about coming across to Radioshack next year? Hence the reason why Frank S. never really went with his brother on Ventoux. Hmmm, makes you wonder if he didn't want to attack his possible new teammate.

Do you write for the Star or National Inquirer? It wasn't Frank That day but Tom Danielson in a Frank suit. So you woke up this morning and thought you'd write the most ridiculous speculation you could. Those two boys are brothers, thicker than water, family, strong bonds. joined at the hip, etc. The idea that 1 would betray the other for a job is absurd!
Otto take a hint and stick to celebrities. From your name I assume you know something about cars. Maybe that is a better forum for you to post crazy speculation.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Otto123 said:
Huh, dumbest thing eh? Well, take the fact that LA couldn't ride any mountain in the tour without a tow except when he exhausted everyone in his team making them ride for him and not the ACTUAL team leader (or yellow jersey wearer, whichever you prefer)...only to attack his faithful super domestique Kloden to try and ride across the gap to Contador. I don't know what tour you all were watching, but good ol' Mr. Armstrong couldn't go with the attacks of the Schlecks. Then the very next day, even Phil made comment on how LA was talking to Frank...stating possibly the coming across to Team Radioshack next year. Yes I know, very speculative...but then on the Ventoux vying for a podium, Frank all of the sudden had nothing!? The shear sense of possibly taking the 30 seconds back on LA and standing on the podium with his brother wasn't enough to even really try all but once? Andy certainly had the look about what the hell is going on with you Frank...let's go!

Oh wait,...maybe it's just the aura of Mr. I've won 7 TDF's and that no one is supposed to attack me because they need to respect me. All this crap about being the team player when Contador attacks. He just couldn't go, because he certainly wasn't riding for the team when he dropped Kloden trying to bridge after Kloden had pushed his **** up every climb throughout the tour. Subsequently costing Astana a 1st, 3rd and 4th position in the tour. You won't hear that ever because we all have to respect Mr. 7 TDF's! That is a good team player right there for you...role model for all the younger riders out there...NOT!

Anyone else think the school holidays must have started?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Seriously...if I write for the tabloids with that speculation, then I suppose all the top riders willing to pay big dollars for the top drugs risking their very livelihood is ludicrous huh? Doesn't happen huh? So money, success, results...those things don't factor into any riders decision making huh?

Seriously, you should start reading the tabloids then...maybe you'll learn something.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
You know, it was a post wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts. I can see that I am in the land of Lance lovers and that anything and everything is wrong with discoloring anything about Lance. It really is too bad too...I honestly think the guy is a good rider and has incredible talent. But for those of you out there that feel he can do no wrong, all you have to do is go back and watch the tour. Easiest example...complaining that the yellow jersey attacked! It's a fricking bike race, if you want to do well, then you either attack or get into a break and ride your **** off! For those of you who thought the last few years have been exciting with all the GC contenders sitting on each others wheels WAITING for the big move...well, you must have just hated this tour right along with Mr. Armstrong. I just think Armstrong and Bruyneel need to stop complaining and realize they have entered a race....in other words, shut up and ride!

Oh yeah, just to add my tabloid speculation on who the team leader should have always been on team Astana....well, he finished 5'24" ahead. Without a doubt, the team leader or best rider on the team if you will.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Indurrey said:
Then how do you explain the two or three attempts to go with his brother that Frank actually did make? :confused:

He had brain-fade and forgot that he turned into LA's domestique for the day until Lance gave a little cough. Obvious really.

Indurrey said:
Then how do you explain the two or three attempts to go with his brother that Frank actually did make? :confused:

Salary negociations. ;)

Otto123 said:
I can see that I am in the land of Lance lovers

Does not have anything to do with loving Lance.
Your claim only lies on the following:
- F.Schleck was unable to distance Armstrong in the penultimate stage in one of the most tiring races in the sport.
- They talked to each other.

Pretty slim.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Pretty slim maybe...but some have said he just had a bad day. Huh, a bad day? A bad day is what Sastre and Evans had a number of times, losing chunk loads of minutes on a stage. I will say I would love to have a bad day keeping up with the lead pack! These guys are cyclists...it's their job. To sit there and not race for a podium spot when he has kicked Armstrongs **** throughout the race on the climbs...I guess I can't see it. I mean even Evans pulled out all he could in the TT just to save some face. He could've just ridden to the finish in Paris, but he still raced even though he was gobs of time down.

I write for the tabloids, but I'm not unintelligent...it just makes me wonder.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
The whole race flattered the likes of Mr Armstrong and Wiggins for that matter. Lance is a schemer who played this tour out to suit himself! Great rider but this was a boring Tdf.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
ThisFrenchGuy said:
Salary negociations. ;)

Does not have anything to do with loving Lance.
Your claim only lies on the following:
- F.Schleck was unable to distance Armstrong in the penultimate stage in one of the most tiring races in the sport.
- They talked to each other.

Pretty slim.

I concur.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Otto123 said:
I can see that I am in the land of Lance lovers and that anything and everything is wrong with discoloring anything about Lance.

OK, so this now has to be officially the dumbest thing ever posted on here. This place is the bastion of Armstrong hatred. If you want Lance lovers, try the Versus boards...

Oh, there is ZERO chance that Frank rides for Rat Shack or that Armstrong even discussed it with him. ZERO chance.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Ok Jayarbie, then what is your explanation of a top level rider racing for a podium with a brother willing to exhaust himself so that he can gain that podium spot not going? I was told I write for the tabloids...you must have the real knowledge since I can only speculate, which I did admit to by the way.

It was a post to ask what people thought. I admire LA's ability to ride, in fact I admire everybody's ability to ride in the peloton...but I was curious why standing on the podium with his brother wasn't enough to take back 30 seconds on LA? A bad day would have seen him being dropped, not sitting in.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Otto123 said:
It was a post to ask what people thought. I admire LA's ability to ride, in fact I admire everybody's ability to ride in the peloton...but I was curious why standing on the podium with his brother wasn't enough to take back 30 seconds on LA? A bad day would have seen him being dropped, not sitting in.

Right. Andy and Frank Schleck are AMAZING climbers. On a good day they (and Contador) would have left Armstrong for dead. Which, in my mind, means that on a bad day (not bonking, just not 100%) they will be at the same pace as him.

Let me guess, the next thing you'll be saying is that Wiggins slowing in the ITT means he must have signed a contract for Astana or Saxo Bank to ensure he didn't beat them in the GC.

How come he couldn't attack Wiggins, as well, which only finished 3" above him in the GC?
Must have been offered to ride for Garmin I guess.
Once more: did you not see the attacks that Franck made or tried to follow?

It is so hard to accept that he maybe just couldn't fill the gap?
There's only two instances I can recall where Franck took time to Armstrong in the mountains, Verbier and Petit & Grand St Bernard.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Must get back to the original post. Frank Schleck riding for Mr Armstrong and RadioShak? It's always possible I guess. I don't think Mr Armstrong really believes he himself can win again but perhaps he may be able to come up with a scheme to get his new teams riders on the podium. Perhaps he'd already got Andy in the bag and was just finalising arrangements to get Frank too! Yikes!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Ok, you're all right and I am wrong. I do recall seeing Wiggins digging deep to not only stay on, but to get back on when the pace lifted and he got gapped. So I guess in my opinion, as ludicrous as it is, my hat goes off to Wiggins for the most exceptional ride in the tour. Job well done Wiggo, job well done for trying your best and doing so well.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
No problem. Just had another thought. On the final climb of Stage 17 Mr. Armstrong decided to ride away from Mr. Wiggins and Mr. Nibabli. Although this isn't a big event in the great scheme of things the TV coverage centred on Armstrong's apparent blistering descent. It was therefore a bit of a shock when Nibali - Wiggins Free - suddenly appeared on Mr. A's wheel! Perhaps he too had heard of the riches on offer at Radioshak and wanted in on the action! I admire Mr. Armstrong but he'll have a plan or three up his sleeve and you can bet Nike and Radioshak are all in on the deal!

TRENDING THREADS