• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What wheelset for Christmas?

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys!
I want a new wheelset for Christmas, but I dont now which, so I hope you will help me. I gonna use it for TT and triathlon, so it must be pretty high (808-1080 in zipp fx) I dont have enough money to a Zipp wheelset, so it have to be pretty inexpensive. my budget is about 1000 euro (7000 danish croner) So want can you recommend? I have been looking on X-PLANET wheelset this one--> http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPX2010CAR82101/planet-x-pro-carbon-2010-82-101-wheelset
so what do you think of them? Good/bad? throw a link with bid :D

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Denmarkbonde said:
Hello guys!
I want a new wheelset for Christmas, but I dont now which, so I hope you will help me. I gonna use it for TT and triathlon, so it must be pretty high (808-1080 in zipp fx) I dont have enough money to a Zipp wheelset, so it have to be pretty inexpensive. my budget is about 1000 euro (7000 danish croner) So want can you recommend? I have been looking on X-PLANET wheelset this one--> http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPX2010CAR82101/planet-x-pro-carbon-2010-82-101-wheelset

Try here...

http://www.williamscycling.com/

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
brianf7 said:
Gravity Zero wheels are good value as is Ryenolds try
http://www.gravity-zero.com.au
Um, did you look at his budget ceiling, or are you just throwing stuff out there? Gravity Zero is probably the rip-off of the century btw.
I know almost to the penny how much those wheels cost to build and they're about a grand over priced, just sayin'.

Lots of stuff within his budget. Williams, Revolution, Neuvation just to name a few

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Um, did you look at his budget ceiling, or are you just throwing stuff out there? Gravity Zero is probably the rip-off of the century btw.
I know almost to the penny how much those wheels cost to build and they're about a grand over priced, just sayin'.

Lots of stuff within his budget. Williams, Revolution, Neuvation just to name a few

The SRAM S80 wheelset are the same idea as the Zipp 808 although perhaps not quite as aero and certainly a bit heavier. I see a lot of them on the local triathlon scene. You can get them online for around 1100 Euro (eg Chain Reaction Cycles) which is a lot less than the Zipps. No doubt RDV4ROUBAIX could fill us in with a pithy comment on the build quality.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
slartiblartfast said:
The SRAM S80 wheelset are the same idea as the Zipp 808 although perhaps not quite as aero and certainly a bit heavier. I see a lot of them on the local triathlon scene. You can get them online for around 1100 Euro (eg Chain Reaction Cycles) which is a lot less than the Zipps. No doubt RDV4ROUBAIX could fill us in with a pithy comment on the build quality.

Meh, SRAM wheels are ok I guess for being mass produced, haven't heard any of the shops complaining about them durability wise. My only gripe is that special event race or tt/tri wheels should be tubulars, especially when you're going with super deep profiles, all SRAM wheels are clincher only.

slartiblartfast said:

Sram S80 are not like Zipp 808 at all just because they come from same company. The S80 are more of FLashpoint quality, which is also a Zipp product.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Denmarkbonde said:
Hello guys!

I have a set of aluminum Neuvations (1500 grams) and have been thrilled with them. They have nice carbon tubular options way under your budget.

Their customer service is also great. They respond to emails the day of, and have a great 2-year wheel protection plan.

Not sure what their international shipping prices would be, but they are worth a look. They are also running 10% off until December 23.

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels.html

JeffreyPerry said:
Mavic R sys- yes i know theyre road wheels...you will have no issues with them....

No issues with them. LOL. Make sure you have your health insurance paid up and a good emergency dentist on call.

The OP said he wanted something for TTs and triathlon. It would be hard to find a wheelset worse than the R-Sys for that. You might as well cover all the spokes of a regular wheel with drinking straws.

For cheap aero wheels I think I would go to one of the small companies that are taking cheap but durable stuff from Taiwan and building the wheels themselves, like Boyd. Boyd's 88mm front and rear tubulars are $850. I would feel better about the build quality than getting wheels straight from Taiwain for $300 cheaper.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
Sram S80 are not like Zipp 808 at all just because they come from same company. The S80 are more of FLashpoint quality, which is also a Zipp product.

My triathlon race wheels are 2008 Zipp 808s. The Sram S80s have exactly the same rim profile as the clincher version of my wheels except without the dimples, so that was why I said they are the same idea. The S80s have lower spec hubs than the Zipps. They are put together in Asia although build quality doesn't seem to be an issue.

Of course if you can afford to get new Zipps they are great wheels (mine came with my bike) but they come nowhere near the OPs budget.

I've used the SRAM S-60s for EVERYTHING this year. No problems. I figure you'd go with the S-80s for Tri. I don't know if the performance of the S-60's can be used as a benchmark for the S-80s, but if so, they're great wheels.

PS - I have used them on incredibly crappy roads

TRENDING THREADS