• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What will happen on Pantani's Cippo di Carpegna?!

What will happen on Pantani's Cippo di Carpegna?

• Other/Vino(GC favourites will attack before this climb!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As everybody knows by now, Pantani's training climb.
That's where all his epic wins were made.

images

45carpegna4.jpg

Giro-Italia-2014-stage-8-climb-details-Cippo-di-Carpegna-new.jpg

The real climb is actually 5 km@10,7% if we take out the first pretty easy km. Basically, it's half of Mortirolo. Beast of a climb.

If i'm not wrong, Cippo was climbed in the 70's in some Giri. Last time, it was in 2008, and it was placed at 100 kms remaining from the finish. Mythical and awesome team LPR went full ballistic with bailletti, spezia, savoldelli and grande killer. at one point there were only 5 contenders in the front group but they stopped after. still only 20 riders were in the maglia rosa group at the top.

here you can find a great video, reconaissance done by davide cassani back in 2008 of cippo di carpegna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8z_dI0nqPE

unfortunately, crashes of today changed big time my poll's questions...
anyway, use your imagination:D if you vote other, let us know what. will cadel be dropped? or the more important question, will matthews will be dropped lol??

cadel to crack like in 2002 :p then

personally i'm going with fabio aru. time to shine.

here the stage by the way:

Giro-dItalia-2014-stage-08.jpg

actually extremely well designed, perfect for lange range attack. i think nairo will attack here. of course guys like delfino,scarponi should do that too

I had my eyes on Aru today after the crash and yes, I can confirm he was climbing like an angel. Heard some rumors that he's gonna shave his head before Saturdays stage so keep your video recorders ready. You might wanna rewatch this a couple hundred times in the future.

SafeBet said:
I had my eyes on Aru today after the crash and yes, I can confirm he was climbing like an angel. Heard some rumors that he's gonna shave his head before Saturdays stage so keep your video recorders ready. You might wanna rewatch this a couple hundred times in the future.

if this is true, and not some bull**** you just made up to give people a cycling orgasm, Aru now offically is my most beloved active cyclist :D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Cant wait for this stage guys really hope Aru does well he will for sure be the ext Simoni i think. I think he can win Giro's but will never win the other GT's. Is this Saturdays stage?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Too many realistic scenarios on the poll. Each is just as likely as the next. I say all of the above.

The highlighters will send every guy they have in the break, Pirazzi will be in the break as well and will take on attack after attack from highlighters for hours. Until the peloton manages to catch them. Then Pantani's spirit will posses that of Quintana and Aru! The pirate wants to see a battle. ;) Over the last climb we will see Quintana and Aru attacking each other again and again and again...

Afrank said:
The highlighters will send every guy they have in the break, Pirazzi will be in the break as well and will take on attack after attack from highlighters for hours. Until the peloton manages to catch them. Then Pantani's spirit will posses that of Quintana and Aru! The pirate wants to see a battle. ;) Over the last climb we will see Quintana and Aru attacking each other again and again and again...

Please, please let this happen!

Afrank said:
Too many realistic scenarios on the poll. Each is just as likely as the next. I say all of the above.

Agreed, this could turn out any which way if the racing so far is any indication. This poll NEEDS multi choices dammit!!!

Also one more option to be added - Bling defies the odds, fights tooth and nail to defend his jersey and comes up with a miraculous stage win :D

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:

I want Majka in there to, but after seeing him last night I´m not so sure. :mad:

purito mistaking cippo as a mtf and sprinting in the last 100 meters was an option for my poll

thank you god for posting the thread after the stage otherwise probably some purito fan would have cursed me forever

weening attacking in 53x11 was also an option but after yesterday, i would rather say no.

i'm waiting this like a h addict waits for his dealer to return in town. scatta fabio aru!!!! il nuovo pantaniiii

Libertine Seguros said:
This is probably the best designed stage of the Giro. It is excellently put together to maximise the opportunities for racing from distance.

I really don't understand why "Crazy Pirazzi attack" is even an option in a poll, it is surely a given.

I don't think that Pirazzi will be able to attack until he recovers from his injuries. :(