• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What will it take?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Several times, the question "What will it take for you to believe cycling is clean?" has been asked here. Usually, the person asking the question is some forum member making his first post, who eventually slips into the same old "Why do you haters even watch cycling?" BS. Well, that question never need be asked to me again.

Today I figured out my answser: The day teams start busting their riders and turning them into their federations.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll believe it once the riders don't have a strong incentive to dope anymore, either because it doesn't work (but why would that ever be the case) or because there is a reliable way of identifying all forms of doping, not just during races but during training as well.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy watching cycling much like I enjoy watching other sports where they dope just as much.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
I'll believe it once the riders don't have a strong incentive to dope anymore, either because it doesn't work (but why would that ever be the case) or because there is a reliable way of identifying all forms of doping, not just during races but during training as well.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy watching cycling much like I enjoy watching other sports where they dope just as much.

Keep the faith brother!

May 6, 2011
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Today I figured it out my answser: The day teams start busting their riders and turning them into their federations.

If cycling was clean, why would the teams hand their riders over to the federations?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
richtea said:
If cycling was clean, why would the teams hand their riders over to the federations?

If cycling is to get clean, who better to monitor the riders and bust them? Seriously, that was a huge contextual leap for me to make. You're welcome for the translation.

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The most important thing is faith in the UCI that mistakes from the past aren't going to be repeated. Whilst insinuations persist that certain athletes or teams could be getting preferential treatment, or given warnings to "tone things down" then whatever a team does or claim is irrelevant as there is no come back to it.

Personally I'd like to see all anti doping carried out completely independently from the UCI. All the UCI should do is provide the funding to WADA and leave it up to them to choose who to target and when etc. And not just in cycling, but across the WADA backed sports.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
The_Captain said:
The most important thing is faith in the UCI that mistakes from the past aren't going to be repeated. Whilst insinuations persist that certain athletes or teams could be getting preferential treatment, or given warnings to "tone things down" then whatever a team does or claim is irrelevant as there is no come back to it.

Personally I'd like to see all anti doping carried out completely independently from the UCI. All the UCI should do is provide the funding to WADA and leave it up to them to choose who to target and when etc. And not just in cycling, but across the WADA backed sports.

Dude, you gotta slip lines like that into the middle of paragraphs. You lost 93.5% of your audience with your first sentence.

ChewbaccaD said:
Cool story bro.

I think his point was that if cycling were clean the teams would have nothing to turn in riders for, maybe? The old chicken and egg thingie.
It wouldn't work anyway because somebody would come along to run a dirty team all the while saying they were staunchly against doping.........oh hang on that's been done too.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I think his point was that if cycling were clean the teams would have nothing to turn in riders for, maybe? The old chicken and egg thingie.
It wouldn't work anyway because somebody would come along to run a dirty team all the while saying they were staunchly against doping.........oh hang on that's been done too.

I understood his point, I just chose to ignore it because it served no real purpose.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Today I figured it out my answser: The day teams start busting their riders and turning them into their federations.
Cycling is just like mankind: greed pays.

Its human nature.

So, what does it take? If u ask me that is quite an existentialistic question.
Will Bjarne Riis ever stop thinking how he does? Will Orlando Maini? Will Vino the Great? Guiseppe Martinelli? Bontempi? Unzue? And so on.

Even our clean cycling guru vaughters advertises on his site with great training techniques how he won on Ventoux. Come on. And I even consider him as one of the 'good guys'. Or should I say lesser bad.

The day the cycling public turns its head to cycling things will change.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Cycling is just like mankind: greed pays.

Its human nature.

So, what does it take? If u ask me that is quite an existentialistic question.
Will Bjarne Riis ever stop thinking how he does? Will Orlando Maini? Will Vino the Great? Guiseppe Martinelli? Bontempi? Unzue? And so on.

Even our clean cycling guru vaughters advertises on his site with great training techniques how he won on Ventoux. Come on. And I even consider him as one of the 'good guys'. Or should I say lesser bad.

The day the cycling public turns its head to cycling things will change.
Vino is clean:)

What will it take? A different world I guess.. What is clean? The Goverment in your country, the private companys, other sports? Hopefully no one ever supported cycling because it is clean.. It would be like voting for a American President, to get a better world...

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
It would take a huge clear-out of the sport. No DS's/team managers who have had anything to do with doping (either as managers or riders); no officials (UCI, GB, USAC, etc) who have had anything to do with the mass "consumerisation" of the sport while encouraging or, at the least, turned a blind eye to doping; and no sports equipment or food/drink manufacturers (Giro, Trek, Specialized, FRS, etc) who also are part of the problem of putting dopers on pedestals.

BTW, it's not just cycling, it's virtually all pro sports.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Several times, the question "What will it take for you to believe cycling is clean?" has been asked here. Usually, the person asking the question is some forum member making his first post, who eventually slips into the same old "Why do you haters even watch cycling?" BS. Well, that question never need be asked to me again.

The criminalisation of doping will do the trick.

ChewbaccaD said:

You are operating under the assumption the federation is a fair dealer. We know the UCI is not. It's believed that doping information is passing to team management at some level because of the number of anecdotes about some athletes knowing a test was going to happen.

My list:
WADA being able to open cases.
Double the sanction for injected PED's.
Once WADA can open cases, fund backdated testing.
Fortyninefourteen's criminalization of doping will do it too. But tough to do internationally.

Yes, there will still be doping. The risks will be legitimate and really high because the sport federation can't ignore the positives.

That should get cycling closer to pre-EPO racing.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
We also know USA Cycling is not interested in making the sport truly clean. They do not have the interests of cyclists or cycling fans at heart. It's a (big) business.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Making it truly clean would mean there would be no riders praying for a non-positive result when they are up on the podium, we've seen many a picture of the winners looking up to the ghods to turn a blind eye. The lack of prayers to the ghods means the ghods would turn angry and bitter due to the lack of acknowledgment of their fictitious abilities (you can freely replace ghods with sponors or governing body). Not to mention if it truly was clean then Johnny V would be out of a job (not that I think that's a bad thing). Cyclismas would have to resort to racial jokes to get laughs. Lemond would be happy, but without anything to complain about. Kimmage would fall off the headlines and back to the unemployment lines as an anonymous recipient. McQuaid would still be trying to expand cycling by arranging the first Pro Tour race on the moon (not saying anyone would be on the side of those roads watching).

Again, if it were truly clean.

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Where is the evidence that Sky are doping? Who is running it? Why no witnesses or rumors?

We've gone back to the days when the team with the biggest check book dominates the race. This is normal.

ChewbaccaD said:

Today I figured out my answser: The day teams start busting their riders and turning them into their federations.

When RR looks into every riders eyes and declares them clean.

Porte √

Actually I think its mostly clean, clean enough to enjoy watching it again.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:

1000 char.:D

Really good line of thinking in play there. If teams wanted their riders clean, would they have the nads to dope? It'd spare us the Di Luca and Santa crap for starters and the the lies of their DS. It'd also have spared us this new arms race for wins and supposed glory.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Sky???:confused: and welcome to the forum.

Poor fellow is going to have a really hard time in the Clinic this July! :p

Edit: Oh my bad...Joachim. Which if it's the case, enjoy the permanent vacation AGAIN!