• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What will it take?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
frabz-One-does-not-simply-ask-a-clown-question-bro-b0b990.jpg

It was more of a generalised question about the negative mentality. Don't worry, Bro.

You drinking?

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well, there will always be dopers, it can never be clean - but I believe it can be cleaned up a lot.

And I actually am somewhat optimistic at the moment.
You know where the real problems are with this sport and some more good stuff should hit the fan in the next week.

Don't worry, it will get on another level when real science gets into the bussiness (genetic doping, designer kids, etc.), not the current middle-age-style alchemy and black magic.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Zero Tolerance said:
It was more of a generalised question about the negative mentality. Don't worry, Bro.

You drinking?

The answer to your little ditty is that normal well balanced individuals who enjoy a rational existence do not believe things without evidence. Things like facts, not feelings, are counted as evidence. It's not a matter of glass half full. Or anything close. It black and white.

However, you're right that it depends on what type of person you are. It depends on whether you are prepared to accept things on faith. FWIW nothing should be accepted on faith.

Faith is wishful thinking with a fancy name. It amounts to nothing and gets you nowhere. Unless you believe in miracles of course. That's something else. Otherwise then you're just a sad bone idol lump. Or something.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
When Wiggo/Nibali/Contador/Froome voluntarily offer to take lie detector tests and whatever other scrutineering possible. Because if you can determine that the top GC dogs can and are riding clean than it's fair to suggest the majority of the rest would be too.

whittashau said:
When Wiggo/Nibali/Contador/Froome voluntarily offer to take lie detector tests and whatever other scrutineering possible. Because if you can determine that the top GC dogs can and are riding clean than it's fair to suggest the majority of the rest would be too.

Have Wiggins or Froome reject the possibility of that?

By the way, has Zero Tolerance been benned? I dont understand yet a lot this forum, but under his nick put: banned.
If that has happend? why?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So what has made a difference so far? or which of these changes has had the greatest effect? What might be the changes we want to see going forward?

To answer my own question I would say the biggest new force against doping has been the involvement of the police. Criminalization of doping makes it possible for the police to use their investigative tools and the judicial system to prosecute and investigate doping as a crime.

Out of competition testing has made it much harder for an athlete to cheat in his preparation for a race.

Bio pasport Might not eliminate doping but it helps target testing

Targeted testing Watch the suspicious guys to better focus the testing dollars.

Better testing advances in testing techniques are improving hte testing windows. Di luca might have been caught by a new EPO test.

Co-operation of the pharmaceutical companies with anti doping agencies. Some very new drugs got identified because they had a test befgore the drug was out.

My last point is about the politics of anti doping.

A lot of criticism is aimed at sports federations performing their own testing as the current WADA code demands. A lot of people suggest that if WADA tested directly the corrupt would go with it? Really? WADA inspectors are incorruptible? Where do yu think all the anti doping officials coming from? the sports that stopped their own testing. tha anti doping inspectors move from FIFA, UCI, FIS to Wada. Same people. You think a WADA inspector cannot be bribed? Might put the cost of bribery out of the means of many cycling teams but the soccer teams can afford much better bribes. So maybe the corruption just moves up the budgetary ladder?

Culture? The culture is changing as I know most everyone is tired of the drama and want to be free of it. Young riders still fresh and optimistic believe they can win or race on talent and hard work so they make their choices like they are free from the demand to dope. This does not rid us of the people dark of heart but it reduces the pressure to cheat for the more honourable souls.
More than anything I think it is the change in culture that makes the greatest difference.

It is possible to reduce the cheating to a point equal or even lower than the general populace. I am hoping the day is coming sooner rather than later where riders see the clean choice as the right one regardless of why. If they come to believe dopers get caught it might help the people that might be easy targets to cheat refuse to take the chance but their will always be that one guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone and can get away with it. We are never going to be rid of Ricco's and Di Luca's but I think they are already getting rarer.