• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What would have improved this tour...

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
...is a really steep long climb like the Zoncolan or the Angliru.

Both Contador and Schleck were afraid to really go for on any climbs as if one of them did the other would sit in their wheel and conserve energy. Each made a few attemps to drop the other but when they could not they slowed up.

A really steep climb would remove all drafting effects and the stronger rider would be able to simply ride away from his opponent.

What do you think: 1. Am I right? 2. Is there such a climb in France suitable to accomodate the Tour?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
More sheep.

nuff sheep already. Every one followed each other like sheep too much.

It's like the WC/champion's league final. No one wants to lose the 'biggest event in the world', so you get calculated, careful riding. There's too much at stake and no one dares to take risks anymore ie digging too deep/going into the red.

More "Dood of de gladiolen" :D

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Good question. I think longer and harder mountain stages. Something like 2 Cat 1s + 2 HCs finish at the top. Mountain top finishes always shake the race a bit.

Another time trial would have been nice. Maybe a mountain TT.

perico said:
Quit skipping the Alpe d'huez. It's the monument every climber wants to win and will go all out for.

Everybody thought this with Mt Ventoux last year also though.

Bring back the time bonuses at the end of the stage. Think Contador would have let Schleck win today if it meant any additional 8 seconds over Schleck? Obviously tactics would have been different but Schleck would have an 8 second lead going into the TT instead of Contador (Probably not enough still, but Schleck would get to start last instead of Contador). Sanchez would be in the lead over Menchov by 33 seconds instead of 21.

I originally like the idea of no time bonuses, but after this year, I am not so sure anymore. In fact, instead of 20 12 and 8, make it 24 12 and 6. Make it a little bigger gap.

Carl0880 said:
Everybody thought this with Mt Ventoux last year also though.

Bring back the time bonuses at the end of the stage. Think Contador would have let Schleck win today if it meant any additional 8 seconds over Schleck? Obviously tactics would have been different but Schleck would have an 8 second lead going into the TT instead of Contador (Probably not enough still, but Schleck would get to start last instead of Contador). Sanchez would be in the lead over Menchov by 33 seconds instead of 21.

I originally like the idea of no time bonuses, but after this year, I am not so sure anymore. In fact, instead of 20 12 and 8, make it 24 12 and 6. Make it a little bigger gap.

The Ventoux stage only features one major climb. The Alpe d'huez stage usually features at least 3 major climbs. Ventoux is overhyped because of Tommy Simpson. As a climb by itself, it's a beast, but the stage and terrain leading up to isn't challenging at all. The alpe is too, but the stage is much more difficult

May 21, 2010
Visit site
A more competitive Lance Armstrong would have improved this year's Tour immeasurably! A Lance who actually looked good enough to podium for two weeks before tanking in the final week would have added the necessary spice to this epic race. Lance, I'm so disappointed!

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Split the Tour up in 3 weeks. At the end of each Sunday every rider gets point based on their GC standing in that week. I'm sure they can come up with a neat formula, maybe with bonuses/penalties for substantial time gaps. Then the clock is reset to zero for the next week. In Paris the total for the 3 weeks is determined, the best one over 3 weeks wins.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
nuff sheep already. Every one followed each other like sheep too much.

It's like the WC/champion's league final. No one wants to lose the 'biggest event in the world', so you get calculated, careful riding. There's too much at stake and no one dares to take risks anymore ie digging too deep/going into the red.

More "Dood of de gladiolen" :D

fail

he was referring to the sheep that ran onto the road

It's been one of the best Tours in many many years I think. Some interesting elements like the 2nd and 3rd stage that were dramatic. A close battle for the GC and a race where the favourites actually attack each other early in the mountains instead of someone completely killing all action. Not many completely dull stages either. A close battle for all jerseys etc.

Some cross winds would have been nice also though.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
More Mountain Top Finishes............ and less fail stages like Stage 15 where although we had 2 Tier 1 climbs and 2 HC climbs, the stage was so poorly designed with 60 km flat after the last climb, that the whole peloton soft-pedalled through the stage with Thor Hushovd, the green jersey holder, underlining how stupid the stage was by attacking the peloton in the climbs.

Mountain Top Finish........... for god sake!

dgodave said:
No... please. No.
Those are so boring... May as well be mountain biking.
I would prefer the same mt top finishes as this year PLUS a couple more short but steep hill finishes of 1 to 2 km, plus bonifications.

This would really improve the Tour. Exactly what is needed. Think Fleche Wallone, one of the most exciting race finishes.

TRENDING THREADS