• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's your favourite point ?

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
What's your favourite point on the route of racing ? Where would you be on the route and why? :rolleyes: for example:

- somewhere on Mont Ventoux or L'Alpe d'Huez
- Mur de Huy, Flèche Wallonne
- Patenberg, Tour of Flanders
- Paris Roubaix, Arenberg Forest or Carrefour de l'Arbre or the velodrome
- the last difficult turn on the Milan-San Remo

My favourite point is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vcTAix3mU0

in such places a mythology of the cycling is formed I was there during the race it is a legedary and difficult point

Nick_Nuyens-berg_1863366b.jpg

media_xl_890884.jpg

PaPong said:
What's your favourite point on the route of racing ? Where would you be on the route and why? :rolleyes: for example:

- somewhere on Mont Ventoux or L'Alpe d'Huez
- Mur de Huy, Flèche Wallonne
- Patenberg, Tour of Flanders
- Paris Roubaix, Arenberg Forest or Carrefour de l'Arbre or the velodrome
- the last difficult turn on the Milan-San Remo

My favourite point is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vcTAix3mU0

in such places a mythology of the cycling is formed I was there during the race it is a legedary and difficult point

For me it would be one of the great mountain finishes in a grand tour. I have seen the Vuelta on Angliru and that was pretty interesting - watching all the suffering on the riders as they crawl past at about 10km/h, most of them weaving all over the road.

Watching a cobbled section or climb in the middle of the race isn't so good because you get no context and the peloton will often be together, so it's much more of a fleeting moment (same in sprints).

May 23, 2013
Visit site
There's something very special about the Taaienberg, particularly in Het Volk. It's partly because of Boonen's attacks there, and partly because an attack there has come to symbolize the start of the season after the break, and in a way to herald the year's most interesting racing.

Being at the race is more about the atmosphere than seeing the action so either with the Dutch on Alpe D'Huez or with the Basques on Hautacam.

Worst would be anywhere in England, the marshalls at the Tour this year were dreadful little Hitlers.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Swifty's Cakes said:
Being at the race is more about the atmosphere than seeing the action so either with the Dutch on Alpe D'Huez or with the Basques on Hautacam.

Worst would be anywhere in England, the marshalls at the Tour this year were dreadful little Hitlers.
worse than in France? :eek::eek:

There are a great many spots in the sport that are really evocative, I'll just name a few that come to mind, I'm sure I'll add more later.

Txakurzulo, about 1km before the summit of the Urkiola, a tight right hander where the road opens up to a long and steep straight at 14% where the Basque fans always pack the road, even when the climb is completely irrelevant like in the 2011 Vuelta al País Vasco when it was about 25km into the stage:

cb46bae99fdce63ea66fca6366f3ff53o.jpg

Steiler Wand von Meerane, the most iconic climb of the Eastern Bloc, which in the heyday of the Peace Race and the DDR-Rundfahrt was a sea of people by the roads, sat on rooftops, hanging out windows. It was the Eastern Kapelmuur.

58dc31b103.jpg

Mondim de Basto, the town at the base of the Alto da Senhora da Graça, specifically the very first ramps of the climb, which are always where the crowds begin, and there's a real atmosphere and a sense of theatre, it really helps build the anticipation for the climb and, in recent years, has really given the feeling that here, the Volta starts for real.

volta-mondim.jpg

Serrai di Sottoguda, by far my favourite spot in all of cycling. The greatest sight in the world of the sport. The glorious, beautiful gorge, the jawdropping waterfalls, the awe-inspiring rock face with the road carved through it... and the knowledge that nothing but brutal slopes are to follow. It is the end of the first act of the Passo di Fedaia, the undisputed best climb in the world, and signifies the start of business at its best. It is almost a personal insult to me that there have been 15 posts in this thread without the Serrai di Sottoguda being mentioned.

Serai-di-Sottoguda-Fedaia-Marmolada-Malga-Ciapela-Foto-12.jpg