• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wheel choice- Zonda, Fulcrum Racing 3 or Neutrons

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at a new set of wheels to replace my 2005 Zonda's. The three are Zonda, Fulcrum Racing 3 and Neutrons, which are within my budget. I weigh 80kg (179lbs) and do crit racing which will be the main use, sprinting is my main strength. Any advice on which one would be greatly apprciated. I'm running campag centuar on cervelo soloist by the way.

Cheers

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
rich00 said:
Hi all,

I'm looking at a new set of wheels to replace my 2005 Zonda's. The three are Zonda, Fulcrum Racing 3 and Neutrons, which are within my budget. I weigh 80kg (179lbs) and do crit racing which will be the main use, sprinting is my main strength. Any advice on which one would be greatly apprciated. I'm running campag centuar on cervelo soloist by the way.

Cheers

Are you wedded to factory built wheels? Reason I ask is that you can build yourself a better and lighter set of wheels for about half the price if you go hand built ...

I built myself a set of racing/training/commuting/"you name it, they do it" wheels for my cross bike on Daytona hubs (which are Record hubs with a heavier freewheel body, without the extra Record grease ports, and cheaper quick releases - no longer made, but all spares available and dirty cheap off a reputable UK on-line retailer), Open Pro CD rims and Wheelsmith spokes for about half the price of the options that you're looking for. They're also lighter than the posted weight for those wheels - and I went for heavy spokes since they're getting bashed off road - could make them even lighter still with DT Revolutions (I'm 75kg and use Revolutions on my MTB with only the need for an annual truing ...). And the wheels are far more robust and reliable than factory builts - as any number of contributors to the forums will tell you ...

As I say - perhaps hand built is worth considering for you?? If you do go that way and want to know where I got the hubs, send me a PM and I'll let you know details ...

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Hea, just bought the 2009 Zondas from chainreactioncycles. (delivered to Italy in a few days)

was lookin at the mavics, but had a pair of VENTO wheels for training and they were bomb proof.

they are just the best wheels. fast and stiff and the black looks cool.
the 2010 models allow you to put either tubs of clinchers on them but the 09 are available from a few stores currently at 400 euros.

rich00 said:
Hi all,

Cheers

What's wrong with the 2005 Zondas?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm having to get them trued more frequently now than I used to, and they are getting a little old. I'm thinking of keeping them as spare set.

As to the idea of building my own sounds great but I don't have the time and tools . With the exchange rates the way they are,a factory set would come pretty close. I have looked at a local wheel builder and I think that's proabaly the way to go.

rich00 said:
I'm having to get them trued more frequently now than I used to, and they are getting a little old. I'm thinking of keeping them as spare set.

As to the idea of building my own sounds great but I don't have the time and tools . With the exchange rates the way they are,a factory set would come pretty close. I have looked at a local wheel builder and I think that's proabaly the way to go.

I agree. That way he can build a set specifically for you and your needs plus in 5 years, when the rim is 'tired', they can be rebuilt...instead of using the old hubs as pen holders.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
rich00 said:

I just got a set of NOS Daytona hubs for about $150 US from Total Cycling. I'll have them built up one of these days for another solid set of low-maintenance wheels. The Zonda in 2-way fit do look interesting, I may end up with a pair to try out tubeless, but I'm much more of a box rims and 3 cross guy for daily riding.

Also, I think I read that the racing 3s are identical to 2010 Zondas, just made in Asia.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Fulcrum 3

I bought a set of Fulcrum 3's after a lot of reviewing and discussing with my local bike shop owner a lot of the guys I ride with use fulcrum wheels and they all love them as do I. Every bike component/upgrade has its benefits and disadvantages. For me these wheels haven't given me much to gripe about this past summer I was putting in a solid 500 miles a month and that's just training rides they respond well to acceleration and spin nicely on the flats I'm assuming cuz the bladed spokes and bearings. Anyhow I think you couldn't go wrong with any of your choices talk to you local shop I'm a firm believer in making my purchases through a shop you'll feel better about what you decide on.

TRENDING THREADS