• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When did you FIRST start following the Tour de France?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pantani_lives said:
I was born in 1975, and I still remember Hinault's win in 1979, when I was three and a half years old! I knew two names of cyclists: Hinault and Zoetemelk. When Hinault abandoned in 1980, I predicted that Zoetemelk would win, my first correct prediction.

Way cool! And yes Pantani Lives! my favorite rider of All Time ;)

Alpe d'Huez said:
Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I have very nostalgic memories of that time, and thought some of those John Tesh packages were great, and wish the sport would put together more of them. Like this one of Team 7-11

OK Alpe, just dredged this vid clip up and it made my day!
A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to spend the morning with Davis and ride for a couple of hours with him...
This clip means a whole lot of history to me and reinforces my love for this sport more than any other sport.

I became aware of Eddy Merckx in 1972, got my first beautiful French 10 speed, I've loved cycling ever since...
In the US cycling on tv was rare, short footage, but in the late 80s was paying alot of attention to P Delgado, Indurain, Lemond...wonderful times.

I've been glued to the tv watching the Tour since 2000...or maybe before..:)

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I have an extremely vague memory of Barry Hoban winning a stage on Bordeaux track in the early 1970s. I saw a few bits of the 1976 Tour on UK TV's World of Sport, and then watched all of their 1977 coverage, `all' meaning three or four ten minute compilations of highlights.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Stage 20, time trial Disneyland.

I still remember Abraham Olano winning it, I was 11 at the time and was on a holiday somewhere along the Belgian coast. I have no idea why I remember that, but it's one of my first cycling memories (my first one as far as I can tell).

It took until 1999, with VDB winning LBL (and ridiculing Bartoli on La Redoute) to set my cycling heart on fire. 1999 is really pure nostalgia for me.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
1981 when I was a sophomore in high school. Jock Boyer's presence as first American sparked my interest. Greg Lemond only intensified my love of cycling and I've been an addict ever since.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I first became aware of the TdF in 1986 - because of Greg getting exposure.
I do NOT remember Roche in 87 or Delgado in 88, however.

But 1989 and every year since I have followed the race day after day:)

So, who has the earliest memory?

Anybody "watching" during Hinault?
Anybody remember watching Eddy eat people?
In Black & White?

photo-24-2.jpg
Aw man i miss Winning mag.

First became aware of the Tour in '88 - living in Canada at the time and that was the year Steve Bauer won a stage, wore yellow, and finished 4th overall, so he was in the news quite a bit. But I think the first Tour where I actually fully understood what was going on and knew most of the riders was probably the '91 Tour.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
74, Merckx's last tour victory was the first time I remember watching on World of Sport, remarkable because it had a stage around Plymouth. Went off my scope for a couple of years, then I remember Hennie Kuiper winning on Alpe D'Huez in 77 the second of Thevenet's wins since then I've tried to see as much as possible, just bike racing in general, not just the tour.

My dad is from France and moved to the U.S. in 1983 to work at a health clinic in northern California. In 1987 he figured out that you could watch the TDF on CBS and started taping it. I watched those tapes over and over as a kid and practically memorized them.

We were in France for the entirety of July '86, yet sadly never got to catch that Tour. The first TDF stage I watched was the 2000 Morzine stage; we were on top of the Joux-Plane and got to witness two very rare signts: Armstrong getting dropped by Ullrich, and Pantani having his last ever day in the Tour.

Then in 2009 the Tour of California went right by my house (we live right next to the Howell Mtn KOM on the Davis-to-Santa Rosa stage) and I felt like I'd come full-circle somehow. :)