• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When do we see speeds, watts, heart rates, helmet camsetc?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Why, as spectators, do we not receive speed, wattage, heart rates and so on as part of the TV coverage?

Is it private information? Too hard/expensive to provide?

I really think this will round out the coverage.

Are there other reasons?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree, should have been introduced years ago, its the only thing lacking in the coverage. I suspect its a French thing, why ruin the nice view with stats, all that matters is who wins.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
eljimberino said:
Yes, but on TV.

thanks for the link btw

I think the vuelta, or at least somewhere in Spain, had it for a little while, at least the heart rates, but it was too big of an indicator of form and effort of the different riders, that way the DS's could react directly if an opposing rider was in bad form, or needed to make too big an effort and that way time their attack and other things. This meant that it was to invasive in the race, had a far too large effect

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats the problem. It gives people direct information on how someone is doing. Imagine Riis knowing Contador's heart rate was higher than normal when he was climbing. You'd know that this would be the best time to attack him.

Then again if radios and TVs in the car were totally banned...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
euanli said:
Yeah thats the problem. It gives people direct information on how someone is doing. Imagine Riis knowing Contador's heart rate was higher than normal when he was climbing. You'd know that this would be the best time to attack him.

Then again if radios and TVs in the car were totally banned...

A cellular phone could do the trick just as well. Firstly you can watch it on the phone nowadays, or otherwise stay in direct contact with someone who watches the race in a different location. It would really affect the race way too much

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
eljimberino said:
So there HTC google site is not live?

Makes sense to not have heart rates live, but would the removal of radios jettison this problem?

Nope would still indicate too much of the form of a certain rider, this way the DS can still influence the race by saying such a thing to a rider when he comes for advise or bottles

May 26, 2009
Visit site
euanli said:

To be pedantic.. the best time to attack is when someone's heart rate is dropping while fully exerting, it's a telltale sign that he/she is getting tired.

As long as a heart rate is able to go up it's all good :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wattage display would make the sport look pretty ridiculous at times.

Imagine if we'd seen wattage on days like Lance up Sestrieres in 99, or Chicken and AC duelling in 2007

Vo2 max could be calculated, and when some guys are "temping" in the mid 90's we'd know what it meant, and we'd be discussing it in the clinic.

Seems like this google HTC thing is showing the heart rate of every rider except from Rogers, Martin and Cavendish. Probably not a coincidence.

Pretty scary to look at how low their heart rate actually is, considering how fast they are going :p

May 20, 2010
Visit site
They do that. There are some days when you were getting full stats on rider, then the next day they are missing. I've not bothered to look in the final 5km so I don't know if they turn it off or now.

eljimberino said:
Why, as spectators, do we not receive speed, wattage, heart rates and so on as part of the TV coverage?

Is it private information? Too hard/expensive to provide?

I really think this will round out the coverage.

Are there other reasons?
Speed and heart rate is OK.

Wattage is not OK. Because we can not handle the truth.:)

you-cant-handle-the-truth-full%3Binit_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
To be pedantic.. the best time to attack is when someone's heart rate is dropping while fully exerting, it's a telltale sign that he/she is getting tired.

As long as a heart rate is able to go up it's all good :)

no when ever i crack in a race its because my heart rate is maxed and can go no higher.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
it would be cool if you could view helmet cams of various riders online. there light and cheap i sell them at the shop i want to get one. in a recent race i did a guy had one on.

TRENDING THREADS