• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When to attack?

When to attack?

• When someone stops to take a leak.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You are ****ed b/c (insert reason here). When do you attack to show your frustration?

(okay, filter doesn't like **** so I'll just say 'upset') where the stars are...

Personally, I'd attack when they have their pants down, so to speak. I'd want my lunch, so I wouldn't attack in the feed zone.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have peed from the bike on some brevets before.
But only on long straight deserted descents.

Probably not a good idea in the peloton with strong crosswinds!

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I would prepare very well nutritionwise and then attack in the feedzone.
When the peloton decides it's time to take a leak, I would probably be one of the riders needing it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
You are ****ed b/c (insert reason here). When do you attack to show your frustration?

(okay, filter doesn't like **** so I'll just say 'upset') where the stars are...

Personally, I'd attack when they have their pants down, so to speak. I'd want my lunch, so I wouldn't attack in the feed zone.

Attack on Twitter - nowhere else..

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Call me a grumpy traditionalist but if you attacked in either place I'd likely be the one to drag the angry field up to your wheel so they could show you the road shoulder.
Never attack when someone's taking a pee unless they are a weaselly feed-zone mercenary.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I done a turn on the front last race and they thought I was attacking.

If you have to realy have to do a turn make sure it is down hill tail wind and early in the race so you have pleanty of time to recover.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
Yeah, it's much better if you put the entire peloton at risk.

Well yes that's the affiliated consequence, we all no that, but hypothetical what would you choose?

Attack when the rider in the leaders jersey takes a leak

or

Attack in the feed zone

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Well yes that's the affiliated consequence, we all no that, but hypothetical what would you choose?

Attack when the rider in the leaders jersey takes a leak

or

Attack in the feed zone

or have some self respect and do neither.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, here I thought the rule was "only when the guy in the car tells you to over the radio." :D Otherwise you get called on it in his post-race comments to the press, no?...

Fun thread though.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The best time to attack? I say do what I do. Ride beside somebody in a sprint worthy gear, and make a comment on their computer (the more complex the better, Garmins are excellent for this purpose). Ask them a question or say something like, "I'm thinking about getting one." They will inevitably look down it. Once they look, take off! Yeah, that's how I roll. :cool:

Oldman said:
Call me a grumpy traditionalist but if you attacked in either place I'd likely be the one to drag the angry field up to your wheel so they could show you the road shoulder.
Never attack when someone's taking a pee unless they are a weaselly feed-zone mercenary.

i am with you on that. old school rules apply.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
The best time to attack? I say do what I do. Ride beside somebody in a sprint worthy gear, and make a comment on their computer (the more complex the better, Garmins are excellent for this purpose). Ask them a question or say something like, "I'm thinking about getting one." They will inevitably look down it. Once they look, take off! Yeah, that's how I roll. :cool:

The best I've been able to pull off: final crit of a stage race and this particularly arrogant thug of a rider was challenging his teammate's narrow GC lead. The teammate wasn't into the danger factor and had drifted back out of bonus time contention. The thug's team had lined up front and I managed to get behind him, making him nervous. On the straight before the last turn he kept looking to the outside/left (presumably where he thought I'd attack) and physically moving to pinch the curbline. He looked ahead; I dropped back slightly and yelled "Fred! On the left!" He looked left....
I took the bonus as did the guy trailing me derailing "Fred's" grand plan. I still get along with his teammate.

TRENDING THREADS