• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When will Geraint Thomas win a GT?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will Geraint Thomas win a GT?

Votes: 2 3.0%

Votes: 14 20.9%

Votes: 16 23.9%

Votes: 9 13.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 28.4%

• Total voters
Gigs_98 said:
I don't know how he became that good but I have the feeling I have seen another rider who was suddenly a good climber and then dominating a gt, hm who was this guy and where there any similarities.
I have absolutely no idea :rolleyes:

Valverde, Jalabert,...

You must take into consideration that most of british riders came form the track, it is the especiallity that was most popular there. Except Froome that grown in the high altitudes of norther Nairobi, riding among Lions with David Kinjah.

For that reason they are not classic riders that become climber, but the contrary, they are climbers that were track riders.

it is not exactly like that, becouse nor Wiggins nor Thomas are climbers, but it is more like this that how you said it.

Re:

willbick said:
Has there ever been a thread in this forum where a Sky rider was mentioned without it going a bit wierd and clinic-y?!
No, but here are a couple comprehensively positive Hincapie threads in the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3182
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3324

So I wouldn't read much into it. Maybe PRR-forum perceptions do not correlate well with reality. Or maybe team-first all-rounders and all-around 'nice guys' eventually gain a fanbase, no matter what colors they sport.

G's best recent comp so far outside Big George is probably Sylvain Chavanel, both 6ft, 11-stone National Champs and Algarve winners who had their first good high mountain tour stages around age 30, with good days in the breakaway preceding it. On a historical note were a lot of real all-rounders within the pelotons of the 80s and even more before then. A dying breed, the lot. Some where stars, but most were journeymen. So maybe a grand tour win is not quite as feasible as some seem to think midway through a Pyrenean spell. A grand tour stage win, on the other hand, may be fast approaching.

On a not entirely unrelated side note I think the decline of the all-rounder and the rise of the true mountain men has not been entirely due to specialization. The parcours seems to tilt ever more towards the Sky, despite the protestations of some.

Taxus4a said:
Gigs_98 said:
I don't know how he became that good but I have the feeling I have seen another rider who was suddenly a good climber and then dominating a gt, hm who was this guy and where there any similarities.
I have absolutely no idea :rolleyes:

Valverde, Jalabert,...

You must take into consideration that most of british riders came form the track, it is the especiallity that was most popular there. Except Froome that grown in the high altitudes of norther Nairobi, riding among Lions with David Kinjah.

For that reason they are not classic riders that become climber, but the contrary, they are climbers that were track riders.

it is not exactly like that, because nor Wiggins nor Thomas are climbers, but it is more like this that how you said it.
I can't see how either Thomas or Valverde can be mentioned in the same context as L. Jalabert. :confused:

How long Geraint Thomas pull today?
How much attacks neutralized by GT?

Strong, Strong, Strong...And it looks like that Geraint don't show any signal of tire.

2 years ago, Richie porte droped at Alps after endless of pull for 2 weeks.
Froome had a hungry lock, up his hand. Richie come back like a rocket. Pull again for Froome....

Ridiculous

See Geraint, I think more ridiculous things may happen

TRENDING THREADS