• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When will the 1x chainwheel fad begin to fade?

It makes sense in a xc context, but for the average guy and even in a Marathon context it is not the best option.
In a Marathon you can gain minutes on a false flat descent if you have a 2 x or even an oldschool 3x set-up without having to use a lot of energy.

What about evolution in the range of speeds available? I have a 11-50 cassette paired with a 32t chainring and although it's enough for the climbs, I feel the need for more gearing when going downhill, specially on tarmac.

But with the new products available, like a 9-52 cassette (saw one the other day with an affordable price) with a 34t chainring, wouldn't that be enough?

Nevertheless, for leisure rides, I'm willing to sacrifice some extra speed for its simplicity.

What about evolution in the range of speeds available? I have a 11-50 cassette paired with a 32t chainring and although it's enough for the climbs, I feel the need for more gearing when going downhill, specially on tarmac.

But with the new products available, like a 9-52 cassette (saw one the other day with an affordable price) with a 34t chainring, wouldn't that be enough?

Nevertheless, for leisure rides, I'm willing to sacrifice some extra speed for its simplicity.
There aren't tarmac downhills on my dirt rides. :D
I'm not sure if I understand the simplicity part because a front derailer isn't complicated (although SRAM never quite figured it out). It does free up that side of the bar for other levers (suspension lockouts, dropper...).

My gripes with 1X:
-Less than ideal gaps to get enough gear inch range
-Bad chainlines
-Too much wrap on 10 (I can't imagine 9)

I have Shimano 1X12, 32t X 10-51 and it works fine, but if I could chose, I would pick 24/34t, 11X46.

Nothing beats 1x! As a matter of fact I decided that I won't get any new road bike till they come up with an efficient 1x drivetrain. :D

On two of my hardtails I'm using 1x12, 10-45, 36t, on my santa cruz chameleon 1x12, 10-45, 34t because it's the max allowed. On my orbea laufey 1x11, 10-46, 32t on 2.8 front/2.6 rear in the summer and in the heavy winter(when that occurs!) 3.0 front/2.8 rear (I 'd love to use that configuration on sandy beaches as well, but all the nearby ones are rocky).

TRENDING THREADS