• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where does Contador go next year?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Interested in hearing where people think AC will go next year.

Garmin wanted him this season when it looked like Astana would fold.

What about Columbia? They really don't have a GT rider or do Cav's interests out weigh winning a GT?

Can't see any of the existing Spanish teams getting him.

No way he rides with LA.

richwagmn said:
Interested in hearing where people think AC will go next year.

Garmin wanted him this season when it looked like Astana would fold.

What about Columbia? They really don't have a GT rider or do Cav's interests out weigh winning a GT?

Can't see any of the existing Spanish teams getting him.

No way he rides with LA.

If he is smart and they have the budget to afford him, I think he goes to Garmin. They have all the pieces except a true GC contender. And frankly it would put them (Garmin) at the top of the American teams.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
If he is smart and they have the budget to afford him, I think he goes to Garmin. They have all the pieces except a true GC contender. And frankly it would put them (Garmin) at the top of the American teams.

I don't see him going to an English speaking team, based in Boulder Colorado. He'll go to a Spanish team where he's comfortable, speaks the language of the riders, etc.

colwildcat said:
I don't see him going to an English speaking team, based in Boulder Colorado. He'll go to a Spanish team where he's comfortable, speaks the language of the riders, etc.

Caisse isn't strong enough to get him a win at the TdF. Plus, there's always Valverde.

Frankly, if he's savvy, Garmin is perfect for him. A team of diesels, no real GC contender, and if he can learn English (and it is clear he is working on it), a marketing phenom--his comeback story is just as good as Lance's. Plus Versus will be ALL OVER him once he is with an American team--they can't ignore him.

Again, this is predicated on him making a good business decision.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Well i think if astana are not going to have problems getting into races next season, and contadors contract with bruyneel or whatever it is allows him, he could do worse than staying where he is. Vino says he knows he cant win the tour de france anymore and his only hope is to maybe hold the jersey for a couple of days( I believe him), the kazaks also say they want to build the team around contador with the riders he wants. I guess now that vino is back in charge the money problems won´t be so much of a problem anymore :S

Although i think he´ll go with bruyneel

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
According to Levi AC does speak English as that he the language he talks to Kloden in. Prob not conversational but must be enough to get by in a race.

If LA \ JB have any sense they will take the best stage racer in the world with them.

Staying at Astana would be good as I won't have to buy a new jersey next season then :D

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Alonso told Radio Monte Carlo that time was likely too short to get the team running from next year, so 2011 was a better possibility.

"Cycling is a sport that I enjoy and, yes, I'd like to start a team but it's not easy," Alonso said from the Hungarian Grand Prix. "We're already in July and that leaves us at risk for being ready for next year."

Alonso was at the start of this year's Tour at Monaco to cheer on fellow Spaniard Contador, who is on the verge of collecting his second Tour title in three years.

"Contador has one year left on his contract (with Astana). There's maybe a possibility for the year after," Alonso said about teaming up with cycling's best. "We'll see."

Alonso left no doubt what competition his team would be gunning for.

"The Tour de France, of course. If we win the Tour de France, it's not a problem if you finish eighth or 10th at other races," the Spaniard said. "Every cyclist's dream is to win (it)!"

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Wiggins?

(I can dream)

michaeld05 said:
maybe he should join Team Radio Shack :D

If Contador is forced to honor his contract with Bruyneel & join RadioShack - Do you know what?

I AM ABOUT 75 % CERTAIN, HE WOULD ONLY BE GIVEN A CHANCE FOR ANOTHER GIRO-VUELTA DOUBLE!

That would be a "genius move" by Bruyneel/Armstrong-duo. Not only would Lance be a total captain of Tour-outfit, but he would remove the one rider he has ABSOLUTELY no chance of beating!

It would be a travesty, but if contract allows it... Yes, it could well happen.

seldon71 said:
If Contador is forced to honor his contract with Bruyneel & join RadioShack - Do you know what?

I AM ABOUT 75 % CERTAIN, HE WOULD ONLY BE GIVEN A CHANCE FOR ANOTHER GIRO-VUELTA DOUBLE!

That would be a "genius move" by Bruyneel/Armstrong-duo. Not only would Lance be a total captain of Tour-outfit, but he would remove the one rider he has ABSOLUTELY no chance of beating!

It would be a travesty, but if contract allows it... Yes, it could well happen.

The Schleck bros would still give him a caning worthy of Singapore, especially since the route next year will likely have real climbing stages in the Pyrenees.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Even if Contador goes to Caisse, I'm sure that Valverde will ride for him. Contador will be given the Tour duties and Contador will ride for Valverde for the Veulta. They just need to bring another strong climber to their team with Alberto!

BroDeal said:
The Schleck bros would still give him a caning worthy of Singapore, especially since the route next year will likely have real climbing stages in the Pyrenees.

That's true, but I don't think Lance would yet see it...

He probably thinks that with one extra year of preparation, solid tempo-team and no problematic team mate/captain, he could still beat the rest once.

Delusional maybe... But I bet he still believes being able to handle the rest when conditions are perfect.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Well you look at the preparation he's had for this year's Tour and look at his performance. Then you think what kind of form he will be in next year when he has this season as base fittness and prepares specifically for the Tour. I'm not saying he'll beat everyone but I'm pretty certain he'll be in better form than this year.

Publicus said:
Caisse isn't strong enough to get him a win at the TdF. Plus, there's always Valverde.

Frankly, if he's savvy, Garmin is perfect for him. A team of diesels, no real GC contender, and
if he can learn English (and it is clear he is working on it), a marketing phenom--his comeback story is just as good as Lance's. Plus Versus will be ALL OVER him once he is with an American team--they can't ignore him.

Again, this is predicated on him making a good business decision.

one would hope that's been the case for the past 3 years.

colwildcat said:

I thought a number of the Garmin riders lived and trained in Gerone, Spain? Didn't Versus do a story about that during Stage 6?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Caisse seems the most logical option in my mind because they are Spanish and he would feel comfortable on the team, and there was obviously something going on between him and Valverde at the Dauphine this year. The fact that Valverde is on the team as a GC contender shouldn't detract from Contador joining Caisse because most teams now have multiple leaders (and most do not have the same dramas as Astana do this year). Lastly, Caisse is a strong enough team and, at least over the last few years, Contador can do a lot of the work by himself.

As for Garmin, do you think they would take a rider with a suspicious doping pedigree when they have such a strong antidoping stance? Other than the language barrier, Garmin would also be a good fit and they would then have more opportunity to trade proverbial blows with Columbia.

Caisse for my money though.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The only problem about him going to Caisse is their weakness in the TTT. For the Tour it can realy hurt his intentions. I believe the best place for him is Garmin. Great DS, great TTT, CVV and Wiggo to help him. Only brings one more spanish mountain goat with him e get his third yelolw in 2010.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Ullrich said:
The only problem about him going to Caisse is their weakness in the TTT. For the Tour it can realy hurt his intentions. I believe the best place for him is Garmin. Great DS, great TTT, CVV and Wiggo to help him. Only brings one more spanish mountain goat with him e get his third yelolw in 2010.

Wouldn't having Contador and Valverde riding the TTT make them considerably better?

I really think he has had enough of Americans and would be more than a little reticent to join Garmin ;)

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Contador, Valverde, LuLu Sanchez - pretty decent TTs, might not be that bad after all. Plus they came 7th this year, with a best time on the first timecheck, only 1.30mins back at finish.
TTT wont be a problem, imho.
Caisse all the way!

Contador has a contract with Astana through 2010. What makes anyone think they would seriously entertain offers to buy him out of that contract. Why should they? Looks like he'll be riding in support of Vino at next years Tour. Gee... bummer!

TRENDING THREADS