• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is Denis Menchov?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Sigh, 14 minutes down today and getting beaten by a bunch of no-name riders. Time for Menchov to hang it up and retire. He's finished for good. The 3 grand tour dream will never be for him.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Here's what happened at this TdF with Menchov - nothing.
It was difficult for him to animate the race while being in the grupetto.

My congratulations to the posters who predicted this, don't remember their names at the moment, sorry.

orangerider said:
Sigh, 14 minutes down today and getting beaten by a bunch of no-name riders. Time for Menchov to hang it up and retire. He's finished for good. The 3 grand tour dream will never be for him.
Agreed, it was his single focus this year and yet it's a big fail, hopefully there's an explanation other than not having the legs anymore, illness?

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Agreed, it was his single focus this year and yet it's a big fail, hopefully there's an explanation other than not having the legs anymore, illness?

Hopefully so. The only salvation here is that they'll give Menchov freedom to go on breaks. Then again, he's never been that kind of rider so unlikely he'll even take a stage win. I hope for fan support he at least will try, instead of withering into complete nothingness.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
One bad day could end you in the tour. That's what happened here. I think this simply reflects a new era in cycling as well where Wiggins and Froome can possibly dominate. Menchov and Cadel are from the Lance era, and their time as supreme forces in the tour are simply at an end. Will Contador or Andy Schleck take back the tour? That remains to be seen, but I definitely am a believer in Wiggins now.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
No illness apparently : http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/menchovs-podium-goal-crushed-by-sky

Not sure I understand the title of the article either, it's Cadel's attack that put him out of contention, losing 15 minutes is more than just a bad day...

Sigh, in the article is how Menchov states he's going to sit complacent and just settle for overall standing rather than risk time over a strong fight for a stage win. Yea Denis, have fun being a top 20 - the world will remember you.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
One bad day could end you in the tour. That's what happened here. I think this simply reflects a new era in cycling as well where Wiggins and Froome can possibly dominate. Menchov and Cadel are from the Lance era, and their time as supreme forces in the tour are simply at an end. Will Contador or Andy Schleck take back the tour? That remains to be seen, but I definitely am a believer in Wiggins now.

yep, SKY train is the new force, you are either on it or get smashed by it:D

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Would be great to see Menchov do an unlikely attack on a stage or go out on the break away. But then again that's not really his style. I'm sure the peloton would let him go since they no longer consider him a threat.

TRENDING THREADS