• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is O'Grady and what are the Aussies up too?

I originally came on to this forum to see if I could spot any news on Stuey O'Grady but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have an update on his progress and where we might expect to see him racing in the next few months. I presume he is a key player for his team in the TDF, if fully fit.
It also brings me to the question that interests me the most in world cycling. What are the Aussies up to and which riders are on the way up to replace Stuey, Cadel,Robbie McEwan, Cooke, Rogers etc.
Are there any sites that people know about that give a summary of how the Aussie riders are doing and what roles they are playing. An interesting one is Matt Lloyd, who I thought may have been a willing domestique for Cadel Evans in last years TDF, he seems to be able to climb pretty well, is he a chance to start and aid Cadel this year? I don't see him named in either of the current races, Giro or Dunkerque.
Actually just counting our starters, 6 Aussies in the Giro and 4 in Dunkerque. Any other big names missing, besides O'Grady, Lancaster, Walker, Lloyd? Couldn't see Hayman or Brown either, Rabobank looks to only be doing the Giro and neither of those boys are racing.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Rogers is starting the Giro - he was sick. Walker is out also sick. Stuey not heard much about his injury at all, assume he's recovering. Robbie got staph on his crash injury - see his Twitter updates. Most of them have websites of their own if not check out their team websites.

Riders on their way up - try having a look at some of the youngsters riding in the National Road Series or people like the Meyer brothers, Jack Bobridge who rode in this years Tour Down Under. Also have a look at Ride magazine - it almost always features articles on the new up and coming guys.

You can find out about most of them if you read Cycingnews on a daily basis but if you want an Aussie specific news thing going why don't you suggest it to SBS to add to their Cycling Central page?

Matty Lloyd fractured(?) his pelvis in the crash with frank schleck at Amstel gold.

Browny is out of the giro. Rabobank are only taking a squad to help menchov. So no Oscar Freire either.

Mark Renshaw is lead out man for cav, so could be startin the giro. See cyclenews hompage for giro start list.

Gerrans is riding for sastre at giro.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
slowoldman said:
Bobridge just signed with Garmin.

Good stuff! There's some serious talent out there, you just need to pay attention to the local results. I remember seeing Cameron Meyer win the Canberra Juniors Tour 3 years ago - he was something like 30 mins ahead of the bunch on all road stages, I think he was only 16 or 17 at the time.

Brett Lancaster seems to have raced very little this year, I think Thor Hushovd mentioned he was going to train with Lancaster on his break from racing to perfect his lead out for the Tour so will probably next see him at Cataluyna.

Lloyd is out injured, will be a long time before he is back, after Tour maybe. O'Gradys recovery is taking a long time but it was a bad injury.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
tashimi76 said:
Walker is out also sick.
He had a minor heart issue recently and mucked it up by going to the wrong cardiologist. (The type with much more ego than ability). Hope it doesn't stuff up his career too much.

TRENDING THREADS