• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where should rasmussen go?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What are the general views on rasmussen? Cheat who should never be allowed back, no dirtier than anyone else and should be allowed his chance?

Which team should he go to? What are his motivations and why would a team want him?

I think he wants another crack at the tour and i think he knows he can't ask for as much money as before.

Teams would get a genuine GC contender at a bargain price, but your team is then tainted...what are the opinions as to how he gets back in and with who?

A

Anonymous

karlboss said:
What are the general views on rasmussen?

I was a big fan of Rass when i started watching cycling in 05. Love the KOM comp from the get-go and naturally enjoyed his riding style in the mountains

karlboss said:
Cheat who should never be allowed back, no dirtier than anyone else and should be allowed his chance?

Some would say no dirtier than anyone else, but I do genuinely believe he should be allowed his chance if a team is willing to sign him

karlboss said:
Which team should he go to?
A Pro-Conti Spanish team and target the Vuelta. I assume he speaks spanish, with a mexican wife and all, and this way he gets a crack at winning a GT again.

Alternatively, a Pro-Conti Italian team and target the Giro.

karlboss said:
What are his motivations and why would a team want him?

His motivations, I feel, are he is paying for a crime that some would argue everyone is doing. Similar to other "dopers" who never tested positive but served suspensions due to criminal investigations and other accusations, I think he wants to prove he has got the goods to win a GT.

A team would want him if they believe in second chances and are lacking a GC contender for the Vuelta/Giro. I think if he expects to get a crack at the Tour, he is misguided, as teams get a good proportion of their exposure at the Tour, and signing up Rass for that may not impress the sponsors.

karlboss said:
I think he wants another crack at the tour and i think he knows he can't ask for as much money as before.

Agreed. But I suspect the tour is out of reach now...

karlboss said:
Teams would get a genuine GC contender at a bargain price, but your team is then tainted...what are the opinions as to how he gets back in and with who?

Again, a Pro-Conti team is the most he can expect really, IMO.

Whether thats a Pro-Conti Italian team to have a crack at the Giro, or a Pro-Conti Spanish team to have a crack at the Vuelta I don't know, but I wouldn't think he would be getting a shot in the Pro Tour, at the Tour de France, in a big team.

If he was on a team that potentially could get a wild card for the Tour, I suspect the organisers would not want Rass back. Therefore, his tour days are over unless he gets signed by a top16 Pro Tour team, but I can't see one of those teams buying him. Maybe i'm wrong tho..

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting topic

I have read a very interesting book on this subject "Løgn Over Løgn" by Verner Møller
translation = Lie above Lie; maybe the meaning is lost in that translation not quite sure.

It's a case study. I don't think it is available in English though.

Latest news:

http://feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=1&id=28&id_nyhed=23692

danish again sorry. But it states that the desire to sign MR is almost dead. furthermore it is believed that the untrue rumour that connects MR to the blodcentrifuge in Austria has scared the pro teams away.

Reading this book has been a real eyeopener for me. UCI is rotten as hell.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how he is any better or worse than any other doper. His situation is not much different to that of Basso (only being Italian has afforded Basso more options).

I agree that his chances of riding the TdF seem slim, but then how was his sin any worse than Vino's? Yet, there doesn't seem to be much speculation on him being at the Tour. If Vino and Basso (he was part of the scandal that marred the start of '06) can come back, why not Rass? Still I can't see ASO letting him ride it again, ditto for Landis.

Motivation? Like all athletes, he wants to win and prove he can be the best. I think his best shot is to join a Spanish/Italian pro-conti and go for the Giro/Vuelta, like MG said.
The Tour, for better or worse is an unrealistic goal for him, so he needs to move on, if only for his own sanity/happiness.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If he was entered in the tour for Katusha (for example), would they let him race?
I read ASO weren't going to let Vino ride no matter what, but he doesn't seem to be hitting that hurdle anymore.

He's served his suspension and should be allowed to participate in any race on any team that will sign him. Team wise he needs a team that will give him the freedom to go for the polka dot jersey, stage hunt and potentially the overall. Maybe Euskatel? Omega Pharma? BMC? Though I am curious would anyone really allow him into a break on a mountain stage like they use to before the 2007 TdF? My thinking would be no.

I would love to see him line up for the Tour de France in 2010. The possible showdown between Contador, Brothers Schleck and the Chicken is an enticing idea. ;)

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
danish again sorry. But it states that the desire to sign MR is almost dead. furthermore it is believed that the untrue rumour that connects MR to the blodcentrifuge in Austria has scared the pro teams away.

How do you know the rumour are untrue?

Publicus said:
He's served his suspension and should be allowed to participate in any race on any team that will sign him. Team wise he needs a team that will give him the freedom to go for the polka dot jersey, stage hunt and potentially the overall. Maybe Euskatel? Omega Pharma? BMC? Though I am curious would anyone really allow him into a break on a mountain stage like they use to before the 2007 TdF? My thinking would be no.

He can't go to Euskatel unless he suddenly realizes that he is of Basque descent.

Since nothing else is working out for him, why not check out Rock Racing. It may not be quite the schedule that he is looking for, but Rasmussen will fit in and get to ride a few races in Europe - as long as the team doesn't have to fold for money reasons.

Highlander said:
He can't go to Euskatel unless he suddenly realizes that he is of Basque descent.

Since nothing else is working out for him, why not check out Rock Racing. It may not be quite the schedule that he is looking for, but Rasmussen will fit in and get to ride a few races in Europe - as long as the team doesn't have to fold for money reasons.

I had a momentary lapse in judgment. Thanks for that reminder. ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Gotta agree with the above...he should be allowed to race and Pro Conti is the way to go...target the Vuelta...they will let him race and he will have a chance to shine. This seems to be turning into a beating of a dead horse... and MR is the dead horse!!

A

Anonymous

The Moose should go to whomever wants him. Of course that's assuming he has a non-removable tracking device implanted in him. The UCI can't rely on Italian journalists all the time you know.

theyoungest said:
Well, the most important rider on Euskaltel isn't Basque either, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sanchez is only allowed on the team because he rode as an amateur in the Basque country. Once again, it doesn't look like Rasmussen fits that category either unless that was where he really was during the murky months of 2007.

PACONi said:
I don't see how he is any better or worse than any other doper. His situation is not much different to that of Basso (only being Italian has afforded Basso more options).
His personality does not help his case, let alone his sudden rise to the top was very suspicious. Which serious team wants to be associated with him? :eek:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
The Moose should go to whomever wants him. Of course that's assuming he has a non-removable tracking device implanted in him. The UCI can't rely on Italian journalists all the time you know.

Another Danish Rider (Chris Anker Sørensen or Matti Breschel) actually suggested electronic tracking devices as easier and less disruptive for his life than the Bio-passport.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think a lot of teams would like to have Rasmusson except they probably know a little to much about his activities. The ones he has not been caught for yet?

I have to recognize-I've been watching videos from the 2007 TDF and Rasmussen was on fire-not even AC could taking him down-but anyways- back to the topic- I am curious about what he can do nowadays, but i doubt he could get signed by a Pro-Team, based on his background and specially his shady behavior(not that other riders do so-but he's casting a long shadow with the blood doping ring in Austria & the infamous "sneaker's box")

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
cheat?

I think will all need to remember that Rasmussen never actually got caught for doping. He may not have been were he should have been, and he may have been associated with a bad doctor, but as far as I have heard it was all speculation. Right?

I think he deserves every chace anyone else does. However, I dont think a team should sign him in hopes of winning any G.C., he just can't compete in a TT. I would like to see him as Vandevelde's first hand man. He could really really help any true G.C. contender in the mtns.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
His personality does not help his case, let alone his sudden rise to the top was very suspicious. Which serious team wants to be associated with him? :eek:

Did you forget that he was a world class mountain biker before he starting racing on the road??

MR was one of my favorite riders. It was awesome watching him tap out a crazy cadence in the mountain stages. He has paid for his offence, and if Ricco is being let back in why can't MR. He should go to an Italian team... I like the Giro better then the Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS