• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where to go in the Alps?

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I went to Morzine last summer and found it a bit busy and bumpy. I am a relative newbie and found it all a bit hectic.

I love riding downhill out in the Alps but am looking for somewhere else that is still fun and has lots to do, but possibly a bit quieter. I liked Morzine town though, so somewhere with bars etc would be ideal.

Any advice?

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
If you're looking for a gravity fuelled trip with the convenience of uplifts then you can't go wrong with the Portes Du Soleil Region, which covers Les Arcs, Morzine and Chatel. The lift pass covers the whole region and you can tour around between the three areas easily enough. Morzine can be busy but has the world cup run which i found do-able and i'm no downhiller, Les Arcs has some fantastic runs and a more laid back vibe than Morzine, Chatel has more great runs plus the freestyle park but is a little spread out if you don't have a car. Everything is graded in the same way that ski runs are so you know what you're setting out on. There are some xc routes marked on the route maps but i didn't do any, the fast flowing downhill runs were too much fun!

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Try Molini Freeride

I think the Alps are going to snowed up for most of the year and thus busy on the trails that are free. Molini di Triora is now open and snow has gone as we are right by coast 20km. Hugely long trails, techy or flowing. Just two companies operating with minibus uplifts so no crowding on trails. Brilliant.:cool:

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Ridden in Deux-Alpes, Chamonix and Morzine and have to say that Morzine and the whole Portes du Soleil area has it all - if you don't want it too busy , go out at a different time to the Passeportes du Soleil (last weekend in june), don't go to the Alps when the TdF is coming through either and you should be fine.
btw Les Arcs is NOT in the PdS, but in the Paradiski circuit.
Wherever you go, take the right friends (at least 3) and the right bike (at least 5" both ends)and you'll have a blast!

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Reading this is making me v excited about our upcoming trip to Samoens (near morzine) for 2 weeks in July - being Orstralian, we don't know what mountains look like and can't wait ...:D

TRENDING THREADS