• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Where to watch cyclocross?

Oct 13, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys I am new to cyclocross (and this forum). I have watched a couple of cyclocross world championships, and it seems like an utterly awesome sport. My question is therefore: are there any international sports channels (like Eurosport Player or something similar), that broadcast cyclocross? :) I live in Denmark, so Sporza is probably not an option.

Try GCN Racing on YouTube and see if it is available in Denmark.

They broadcast all the men's and women's race from the Superprestige, the RectaVit Series and the Ethias Cross.

For the World Cups, you have Eurosport Player or if you want a better coverage install a VPN and see from the UCI YouTube channel.

For the DVV Trofee, I can't recall if it was broadcasted live on GCN last year. But all the DVV races are broadcasted on Sporza and I got the habit of using a Belgian VPN to watch them from there.

Reactions: Cobbleeater
Hey guys I am new to cyclocross (and this forum). I have watched a couple of cyclocross world championships, and it seems like an utterly awesome sport. My question is therefore: are there any international sports channels (like Eurosport Player or something similar), that broadcast cyclocross? :) I live in Denmark, so Sporza is probably not an option.
Like Ricco said, GCN does a lot of races. I can't watch them in Belgium (due to copyrights in Belgium being owned by Telenet who are putting a lot of races behind a pay wall). I have noticed that you can watch them with a German located VPN, so it's very likely you'll be able to watch from Denmark even without using a VPN.

As for Sporza, if you know somebody who lives in Belgium and has a Belgian phone nr, you can ask them to create a free VRTnu account. You need to register with a local phone nr, to prove you live in Belgium. But once the account is created, you can watch VRT (including Sporza) channels in the EU with VRTnu.

This is also an interesting site, which lists all the races and where you can find a (legal) live stream for it: http://www.cyclingfans.com/cyclocross/live

Reactions: Cobbleeater
Like Ricco said, GCN does a lot of races. I can't watch them in Belgium (due to copyrights in Belgium being owned by Telenet who are putting a lot of races behind a pay wall). I have noticed that you can watch them with a German located VPN, so it's very likely you'll be able to watch from Denmark even without using a VPN.

As for Sporza, if you know somebody who lives in Belgium and has a Belgian phone nr, you can ask them to create a free VRTnu account. You need to register with a local phone nr, to prove you live in Belgium. But once the account is created, you can watch VRT (including Sporza) channels in the EU with VRTnu.

This is also an interesting site, which lists all the races and where you can find a (legal) live stream for it: http://www.cyclingfans.com/cyclocross/live

Is it really needed? I have a VRTnu account without having a Belgian phone number. I have my login associated with my Facebook account and I just need to turn on Hola with the Belgian VPN to start loading the video player. Once it gets going I can turn off the VPN and connect with my usual network.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Is it really needed? I have a VRTnu account without having a Belgian phone number. I have my login associated with my Facebook account and I just need to turn on Hola with the Belgian VPN to start loading the video player. Once it gets going I can turn off the VPN and connect with my usual network.
Yes, it's needed. You probably registered your account back in the early days. At first you could just make a bogus account with fake info. Then, you were asked an address (but you could still just make one up, as long as it was a real place). Now you need to have a verifiable piece of info, to confirm you are from Belgium. It's possible you can chose a different option than a phonenumber, but the days that you could just claim to be a Belgian citizen "scouts honor" are over. Once you have registered your account, you don't need a VPN as long as you are in the EU.

Hey, only just saw this post. TV2 Sport/Play sends some races live.

They do. They show the World Cup. Next race; Saturday 13:00. (Though, on Play.)
Very nice! Do you know if they show the races continuously? (not that there is anything wrong with GCN's stream per se, but I sensed that the female speaker, who commentated the ECH elite races, had a problem with her mic, as the volume of her voice changed dramatically during the competition).

Sad to see but previous years the races were uploaded to YouTube for anyone to watch afterwards. I absolutely get it that live transmissions has to be paid for but the lousy highlights that now are being uploaded paired with geographical transmissions restrictions and strict enforcement of intellectual property rights on YouTube won’t do Cyclocross any good. It’s an extreme niche sport that needs all promotion it can possibly get. Bad is the only name for the current situation!

Yet you can still watch the last 7 World Cups from the 2019/20 season on the Red Bull TV website/app........

The CX World Cup races need to be on free to air streams/TV. I wasn't pleased when GCN/Eurosport got the rights, as previously, most World Cups ere free either on You Tube and/or on Red Bull. Having to pay to watch a niche discipline of cycling isn't sensible. Though, neither is given the promoters role to Flanders Classics, who already have the SuperPrestige series; and that is what the current World Cup feels like....just another SuperPrestige series.

Yet you can still watch the last 7 World Cups from the 2019/20 season on the Red Bull TV website/app........

The CX World Cup races need to be on free to air streams/TV. I wasn't pleased when GCN/Eurosport got the rights, as previously, most World Cups ere free either on You Tube and/or on Red Bull. Having to pay to watch a niche discipline of cycling isn't sensible. Though, neither is given the promoters role to Flanders Classics, who already have the SuperPrestige series; and that is what the current World Cup feels like....just another SuperPrestige series.

Yes I have reverted to watch previous CX seasons - that fortunately are still up and even more fortunately still fun to watch - as a substitute. Still can’t help to be annoyed about the current situation.

The World Championship will at least be free to watch I presume.

The World Championship will at least be free to watch I presume.

I think the Elite races last year were on GCN/Eurosport, and free to air on the BBC Sport website/iPlayer. This years MTB Worlds had 3 different streams in the UK; the free to air Red Bull coverage, plus the BBC Sport/website 'world feed', then GCN/Eurosport commentary.

As far as I know, the Worlds are bought as a package from the UCI; so you get Roads, Track, MTB & CX Worlds; which is what I guess the BBC have done; and they show them all. I often hear of countries were they don't show them all.

Reactions: Barkintheeye

TRENDING THREADS